Large Blue

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
ayjay

Large Blue

Post by ayjay »

I'm hoping to make a trip to Collard Hill, and/or Rodborough Common in search of Large Blue butterflies.

The weather for that area looks quite inviting for Tuesday and Wednesday next week. I can do both days with an overnight stay if necessary.

I've tried contacting the "Large Blue Hotline", but there's been no response in three attempts, (phone is turned off).

Is there a reasonable chance of achieving some success in my attempt?

Are Large Blues still around in sensible numbers? Is the hotline still in operation?
millerd

Re: Large Blue

Post by millerd »

Hi Ayjay,

I visited Collard Hill on Tuesday Last week, and there were good numbers flying - mostly fresh males, but the presence of two mating pairs indicated that females must have been out too. As the season had only just kicked off, I would say there will still be plenty to see on a decent day weatherwise. I believe the Cotswold sites are usually slightly later than Somerset, so they should also be underway this week.

(I think the "hotline" was suspended in 2020 because of COVID, and it looks like it didn't resume in 2021.)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

I don't know about the hotline, ayjay, but I'm 100% sure that given favourable conditions you will have no problems seeing Large Blues in the next few days at any of the sites where there are decent populations of them present.

I'm not yet sure about Rodborough Common because they've only just been reintroduced there, but certainly Collard Hill, Daneway Banks and Green Down should provide you with what you are looking for.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

Many thanks to the Davids. 8)

Collard Hill it is then. :)
David Simcox

Post by David Simcox »

Together with many other species, the Large blue began to emerge considerably later than normal. As already mentioned here visitors should be able to see the butterfly at Green Down, Collard Hill, Daneway and The Bowl (Rodborough Common) over the coming weeks.

Sadly the National Trust has been heavily affected by the pandemic and the resulting cut-backs have meant that there is no Large blue Ranger at Collard Hill again this year. However, several volunteers are wardening the site and will shortly be posting updates on the Collard Hill blog.

https://ntlargeblue.wordpress.com/

Please be aware that turf heights are a little longer than normal for this time of year owing to the very late 'Spring flush' in May, however, they were short at critical times for the ants in March, April and early May .

Hoping for some warmer weather now!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David Simcox wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:42 am Together with many other species, the Large blue began to emerge considerably later than normal. As already mentioned here visitors should be able to see the butterfly at Green Down, Collard Hill, Daneway and The Bowl (Rodborough Common) over the coming weeks.

Sadly the National Trust has been heavily affected by the pandemic and the resulting cut-backs have meant that there is no Large blue Ranger at Collard Hill again this year. However, several volunteers are wardening the site and will shortly be posting updates on the Collard Hill blog.

https://ntlargeblue.wordpress.com/

Please be aware that turf heights are a little longer than normal for this time of year owing to the very late 'Spring flush' in May, however, they were short at critical times for the ants in March, April and early May .

Hoping for some warmer weather now!
Is there any particular area on rodborough common one should focus their attention?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I think it is the area known as The Bowl which I think is at SO 84759 03213 but I may be wrong
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Mark Tutton wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:33 pmI think it is the area known as The Bowl which I think is at SO 84759 03213 but I may be wrong
That's right, Mark. It's a familiar spot to those who have knowledge of this site.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:56 pm
Mark Tutton wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:33 pmI think it is the area known as The Bowl which I think is at SO 84759 03213 but I may be wrong
That's right, Mark. It's a familiar spot to those who have knowledge of this site.
Thanks guys, I've never been there before and it looks like a Large place to explore. :)
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

I was at The Bowl Rodborough on Tuesday afternoon and saw several Large Blue including this female
P1250619~2.JPG
And this assumed faded female was seen further south on way back to car near Bear Hill
P1250824~2.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

sifenn wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:16 pm I was at The Bowl Rodborough on Tuesday afternoon and saw several Large Blue including this female
P1250619~2.JPG

And this assumed faded female was seen further south on way back to car near Bear Hill
P1250824~2.JPG
Thanks Sifenn, good to know they're out there, I'll be there this saturday. Your second one looks good for a melanistic ab. :)

Return to “General”