Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Pauline

Post by Katrina »

Great sequence. I salute you! I have difficulty getting a recognisable photo of an egg :D :D :D :D :D
David M

Post by David M »

Great work, Pauline. That's the very definition of patience and perseverance. :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Katrina - I was pleased to get those shots.

Thank you too David - just a determination to do or see something I never have, I guess (keeps things interesting) :)

Each year I also try to visit a site I have never been to before and this year it was Epsom Common. My fears about finding the Black Hairstreak were unfounded as there were many males in several locations and I did see a female egg-laying. Other visitors witnessed a mating but I missed out on that. Frustratingly, when the males did choose to land it was either very briefly or rather high up. When they did land lower down they behaved just like the other hairstreaks and almost lay flat on a leaf to soak up the sun or turned sideways which provided excellent camouflage. A few shots from an enjoyable hour:
P1110819ad.jpg
P1110829ad.jpg
P1110822ad.jpg
P1110838ad.jpg
P1110820ad.jpg
I also saw my first White Admiral of the season but failed to get a shot.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A (very) brief outing this morning only worthy of note because I saw 2 species for the first time this season. The first was the Meadow Brown:
P1110839ad.jpg
The other was a Skipper. I'm inclined to say Essex Skipper as this is a very early site for them and they are usually here by now but if anyone can confirm (or otherwise) I'd be grateful. I didn't get a close look and only this one shot - can't make out the sex brand:
P1110840ad.jpg
These bees were amusing as they were covered from top to tail with nectar:
P1110849ad.jpg
P1110850ad.jpg
I had a strange encounter with a large insect. From a distance I thought it was some sort of Dragonfly as I could see the large, fat, green body as it zoomed from plant to shrub, looking for a second like it was going to land and then zooming off in the way Dragonflies do. It was as I got closer and it zoomed around me a couple of times that I realised it didn't have a Dragonfly's body. I watched for a considerable time until it landed on the ground and just disappeared as tho' it had gone down a hole! I estimated it as being probably at least an inch long. I have looked online and the closest I can get is a Rose Chafer but there is no mention of this behaviour or of flying in this manner. Based on this poor description, can anyone hazard a guess as to what it might have been?

Another check around the garden proved me wrong when I told Katrina I had no Brimstone breeding this year. I clearly have as these shots show. Reckon they must have laid their eggs later than usual this year:
P1110283ad.jpg
P1110286ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A quick walk across the local common this afternoon was primarily to check some of the immature stages. However, I was somewhat distracted at seeing the first few female SSB, including a female whom I suspect had just emerged, as her balance was terrible and she was landing on some strange plants, including Orchid:
P1110906ad.jpg
P1110891ad.jpg
P1110884ad.jpg
P1110872ad.jpg
P1110889ad.jpg
I stumbled across a mating pair of Common Blues. I am not sure what colour she was inside (would have been interesting to know) as in intense heat she kept her wings closed but I did notice that they had both sustained a great deal of wear and I wondered how she had hidden herself away from the males for so long - or can they mate more than once?
P1110859ad.jpg
A Small Copper flew along in front of me posing on a variety of plants. The only way I could get shot was to, well, take a shot :roll: :)
P1110877ad.jpg
Time was running out so I only had time to ckeck the closest Painted Lady egg that I knew had hatched. This was the empty egg that I posted earlier. Sure enough, he seemed safe and well-fed, protected by his little tent covered in frass:
P1110856ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Blackstreaks Pauline :D :mrgreen: They acted in a similar fashion the first time that I saw them, leaves you itching for a few more :wink: :roll: Love the Silver-studs too - seeing them in your makes me wonder if I need to pay a trip to Slop Bog soon? :D
I reckon that you're right about that Smessex, it could be an Essex - the fringe is quite sandy and the ground colour is less in your face orange and I can't see any little flicks on the end of the antennae which are quite drum stick shaped, I could be wrong though, it has been known to happen :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I'd be very surprised if it wasn't an Essex but I didn't get a close enough look to be absolutely certain. On this site there are more Essex than Small and the Essex generally emerge first but I have been known to be wrong :)

I have spent some considerable time recently monitoring Dingy Hairstreak eggs and was coming to the conclusion that they must hatch either very late in the evening or overnight - which wold probably make sense as a survival strategy. After a very long 2 days during which I was able to note some interesting changes in the egg I was eventually successful in getting these shots (and quite a few more :) ):
P1110753ad.jpg
P1110761ad.jpg
P1110777ad.jpg
P1110775ad.jpg
P1110797ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I returned to the site again today Wurzel to see if I could confirm that Essex Skipper but couldn't find it. What I did find was a lovely fresh female Marbled White - my first of the season. The seasonal firsts seem to be coming thick and fast now!
P1110940ad.jpg
P1110954ad.jpg
Comparison of upper and under sides of wing:
P1110940bd.jpg
P1110954bd.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A great study of a Marbled White, Pauline! The female in particular is beautifully marked - I love the blue spots on the underside. Unusual to see a female before the males as well. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a very blonde female Marbled White Pauline - a bit of a looker some might say :wink: :lol: :mrgreen: As Dave says it's unusual before the males have emerged :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely sequences in your last few posts, Pauline.

What a fine specimen that fresh Marbled White is! :mrgreen:

Great larval images of the Dingy. I salute you for the effort you put in to capturing these images of events most of us have never seen ourselves.

As for Black Hairstreaks at Epsom Common; I presume this is a recent release?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Dave - there may well have been males there but not much was active due to heavy cloud.

She was stunning Wurzel - one of the prettiest MW I have encountered. I had hoped there may have been a male around as they would have made a great mating pair image.

Thank you David - I was very pleased and relieved to get the Dingy images as a great deal of time and effort goes into following immature stages, often with little return. As for BH, you're asking the wrong person as you already know I don't believe half of what I'm told :wink: :lol:

I'm sorry I didn't get back there any sooner Neil but here are a couple of 'your' little'uns from today. I had marked the egg I saw being laid but was unable to find the marker, as it has grown a lot even since my last visit. I wasn't there long and searched about 1 sq. mtr but a lot of violet evident:
P1110992ad.jpg
P1120012add.jpg
P1120010ad.jpg
I'll send shot of vegetation soon by email to give you an idea.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, great shots in your lasts post, I love the Black Hair streak shots, I'll be off next week looking for the White Hair Streak's, I hope I see them, I'm behind with my posts , I've been moody lately :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Goldie - I wasn't really satisfied with my Black Hairstreak shots so I thought I would practice what I preach, and despite the weather get out there and have another look. After all, in the past I have learned that a lot of the time butterflies just get on with it, if at all they can - and given these have such a short timeframe I was not surprised to find about a dozen males flying. However, as before, they tended to stay quite high up and when I spotted a gorgeous, newly emerged female, all my attention was on her. I think it is meconium that can be seen in this shot:
P1120129ad.jpg
P1120149ad.jpg
P1120093ad.jpg
P1120160ad.jpg
I also found a couple of eggs which hadn't hatched but which Hairstreak these belong to I am not sure:
P1120046ad.jpg
It's a real shame that I had to leave so soon as it is quite possible that I might have seen a mating pair!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Pauline :D For me this is one of the hardest species - it's not so far away as to be impossible but it's crazy short flight during the busiest time of my working year means they're generally off the radar so here's :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for that reason alone and :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the cracking shots 8)

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - you should try to fit this one in as they are stunning when fresh.

I almost forgot - my first Large Skipper this season at Epsom:
P1120070ad.jpg
If anyone is likely to visit anytime soon please check the paths leading away from the ponds as they were covered in tiny frogs that didn't stand a chance with all the cyclists, walkers etc. Really slowed me down as I 'rescued' as many as I could on my way back.

Back in the garden, I wonder if anyone can identify this larva. Surely some kind of moth and quite unremarkable except that it was 6.5cm long. (Yes, I measured it). I definitely haven't seen one like that before.
P1120161ad.jpg
P1120172ad.jpg
I'd like to know what sort of moth it is going to be.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A very brief walk across my local common yesterday evening revealed a few mating pairs of SSB:
P1120206bd.jpg
P1120177ad.jpg
I decided to check out 'my' Dingies whilst I was there. It was not the first time I have checked but I have yet to see them since they emerged from the egg. I know where exactly where they are on the plant (having seen them take up residence there) and it would be almost impossible to find them if you didn't know - if it weren't for the tell-tale feeding signs. The Dingies squeeze between 2 overlapping leaves, initially eating from the inside where they must be relatively safe. As they grow the feeding damage begins to extend to surrounding leaves but they do not appear to leave their 'tent' for very long or stray very far - at least not at this stage. I got lucky last night and as I was watching one of them appeared for about 10 seconds before returning to his sanctuary. I hope this shot gives a reasonable idea of what I am trying to describe. It will be interesting to watch progress as they grow.
P1120247ad.jpg
It must seem very strange to see a lone female crawling around on hands and knees in the middle of the common but I have been surprised at the number of people who have called over to see if I was OK. It is reassuring to know that there are still kind and caring folk around.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Tuna water ripening nicely, Pauline!.

Great Black Hairstreak shots, I've heard about those at Epsom Common.
Do you know if they are a recent release, or have they been there for a long time undiscovered ?.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Your twin eggs are likely to be the Blue-bordered Carpet moth. They overwinter as eggs are are often found during Brown Hairstreak egg hunts. Invariably they are laid in pairs like in your picture :)

https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/plemyria-rubiginata
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Trevor - however they got there it's a fairly convenient site for me :D

Thanks Paul - always good to learn something new.

Today I returned to my Essex site and there can be no doubt now that the Skipper I saw recently was indeed an Essex. Several Essex and not a single Small. Shame about the 'moderate' breeze!:
P1120267ad.jpg
P1120280ad.jpg
Lots of these green beetles. I have posted them before but will do again just because I like the colour :lol: It is a male swollen-thighed beetle (the females don't have the large thighs), also known as the thick-legged beetle or the false oil beetle:
P1120283ad.jpg
A few Bee orchids were also visible:
P1120285ad.jpg
On my way back I called in briefly to another local site where every step I took flushed up 2 or 3 Meadow Browns:
P1120298ad.jpg
P1120291ad.jpg
P1120292ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”