Mazaraine Blue sightings in UK

Discussion forum for sightings.
Part timer

Mazaraine Blue sightings in UK

Post by Part timer »

Hi all

There is a claim on the Wild Winchester Facebook group of a Mazarine Blue in a garden, but with no supporting photographic evidence.

I'm sure these claims do arise from time to time, with little to back them up, but it made me wonder whether anyone knows when the last substantiated record for Mazarine Blue in the UK occurred.

(Incidentally: just had a Small Blue in our garden - only the 2nd in 28 years. No photographic evidence for that either, as it scarpered as soon as we went for the camera!).

Thanks, Rupert
millerd

Re: Mazaraine Blue sightings in UK

Post by millerd »

Hi, Rupert.

I think the last colonies disappeared in the mid- to late-1800s. However, there have been private attempts to reintroduce the species, and the link here takes you to an interesting article.
https://www.dispar.org/reference.php?id=169
I don't think it is migratory, so any sighting is highly likely to be an unofficial introduction - or just a simple misidentification.

Cheers,

Dave
Part timer

Re: Mazarine Blue sightings in UK

Post by Part timer »

Hi Dave

Thanks for your response and the link to the article, which I read with some interest.

I'm suspecting mis-identification in this case. From what I gather, the reporter had had no previous encounter with the species.

Regards, Rupert
David M

Post by David M »

There seem to be increasing incidences of butterflies being bred/captured for release in the UK lately in locations where they have never been recorded, but Martin White's attempts aside, I know of no other introduction of Mazarine Blue in this country, although I would welcome any 'official' attempt to reintroduce a species that we used to have many, many decades ago, and one which I'm sure would be able to sustain itself given expert assistance.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, I’m surprised there have been no serious attempts to re-introduce this species, given the huge efforts and expense with the splendid Large Blue.

Return to “Sightings”