ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: ernie f

Post by Wurzel »

Love the second shot Ernie :D :mrgreen: It won't be long now until the ones round here are out - that is if the weather doesn't throw a spanner in the works :?

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:01 pm...Back here for the Dukes. I did the same route as I did on the 24th when I only saw one Duke. What a difference 3 days make. Today I counted 13 individuals.
Great there are double figure numbers of them about, ernie, although I can't help but feel sorry for them given the cool (and now damp) weather. Still, this species is pretty hardy (I often find it at high altitude on the continent) so all it needs is a bit of sunshine. :)
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks guys - yes, this mostly cool weather sure is having a negative effect. I have seen almost no butterflies in my garden for a while now - just a fly-by from a Holly Blue.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Noar Hill, 12th May 2021, part sun, part cloud, light breeze, max 14 degrees

Duke numbers seem to have actually decreased since I was last here, I spotted only 6 this time, when my usual expectation would be that their numbers would be climbing quite well by now. Blast this cool spell we are having. They may well be there but just hiding.

There was this nice one though.
P1160487.JPG
Also 6 Dingies but likely more - I did not visit all parts of the reserve - or even all parts where I know they like to be.
P1160492.JPG
Saw my first Small Heath of the year.
P1160467.JPG
And a nice female Orange Tip visiting an Early Purple Orchid.
P1160453.JPG
Plus the usual Brimstone, Peacock, Holly Blue and Small (or GV?) White.

And all the while the birdsong was a delight. Notably this Yellowhammer.
P1160463.JPG
All in all, a nice couple of hours well spent. :)

Rain expected all day tomorrow though. :(
Ernie F
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some nice captures there Ernie. Female OT on an Orchid, what a combination.
The Dukes were flying well at Kithurst on Monday, easy to spot and quite placid.

Keep safe and well,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a very nice Duchess you've picked out there, Ernie. :) I think I prefer thier colouration over that of the males. That Dingy is pretty new too.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

We aren't often treated to Yellowhammers and Dukes of Burgundy in the same post, ernie. :mrgreen: Nice work.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely images Ernie :D I reckon the Yellowhammer was on the "bread" part of the song in your shot :wink: :D Hopefully the weather will improve and the butterflies can come back out the woodwork for a final flourish before the 'June gap? I saw something like that yesterday. I walked along a section of the Dyke at Martin Down in the rain - nothing not surprisingly, turned around and came back and the rain stopped and the sun came out and there were butterflies everywhere :D

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks guys.

Yes, Wurzel - I can confirm the Yellowhammer was singing "bread" at that moment. :wink:
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Over the past few days in Alton we have had torrential rain, two hailstorms, one involving thunder and lightening and some cool breezes. So how did the butterflies fare?

18th May, Noar Hill, 13 degrees

My first Small Blue of the year.
P1160510.JPG
19th May, Magdalen Hill, 14 degrees

I came here today because it was advertised they were re-introducing the Duke’s here, but search as I might, there were none that I could see. I accidentally met one of the rangers who told me they hadn’t done it yet and it could be as much as two years hence. Oh, well.

But you know, sometimes in this game you just get lucky don’t you? Marshies are quite rare in this neck of the woods (so to speak). I only saw one last year (at St Cat’s Hill). Today I saw my first of the year and my first ever one at this location, and a very nice specimen it was too.
P1160515.JPG
P1160519.JPG
But despite the very cloudy day, there was some sunshine and it brought out quite a few species, although not in massive numbers.

1 O Tip, 3 Brims, 1 Peacock, 1 S or GV White. 1 H Blue, 1 G Streak and 10 S Heaths.

Then there was this battered Common Blue, at least I think that’s what it is.
P1160549.JPG
And my first Small Copper of the year and it was doing a Stalk Walk!
P1160554.JPG
2 Dingies. Now I need some advice on this one. I just took the pic and left so I don’t know for sure but when I got home and looked more closely, it seemed to be curling it’s abdomen under it. Could it be egg-laying? Any thoughts anyone?
P1160525.JPG
There were 9 BArgs.
P1160531.JPG
P1160544.JPG
And 1, yes only 1 Grizzlie.
P1160564.JPG
P1160568.JPG
Nevertheless, a fair clutch of species today so I am well chuffed.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Ernie - you did well despite the appalling weather that we've been having recently and so have the butterflies to have held on despite the battering! As another weekend of gloom looms I'm just hoping that things will last another week and the weather finally improves :?

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Been tough going lately, ernie, so well done for persevering and nice to see you rewarded with a decent selection of species.

There is still a good range of species about, but seeing any in double figure numbers is something notable right now. :(
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, David - That was a good day. I went back to the same place a few days later but without the same luck I'm afraid.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Jun 2nd, 9.30, full sun, 20 degrees
Today at Kingsley. This old 'un was still pretty spirited, zinging about this way and that. But he did stop in a good spot for this photo.
P1160593.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shot of the aged Greenstreak - they seem to get more bluey green and more matt as they get older :? 8)

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Sat 5th June, Noar Hill, 10-12, 18-22 degrees, Full Sun

1 OTip, 8 Brim (all females), 1 Peacock, 16 Dingies, 16 C Blue, 2 GStreaks, 9 Dukes, 12 S Heath
1 Six-spot Burnet, 1 Green Carpet, 2 Mint Moths, 1 Mother Shipton

and 29 Small Blues

I think Noar Hill has surpassed Magdalen Hill for Small Blues. I only visited a quarter of the site to get this number.

This male was getting the brush-off...
P1160624.JPG
"Hello lovely lady. Fancy a spot of romancing?"
"Oh but sire, we have not been properly introduced".

I have problems identifying Common Blue abs. I think this one is a "caerulescens" but I am unsure.
Common Blue - ab Caerulescens.JPG
And a friendly Sloe Bug payed me a visit.
Sloe Bug (6).JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That female Common Blue does look a good fit for ab.caerulescens - in fact on British Butterfly Aberrations it looks exactly the same :D :mrgreen:

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks for the ab C Blue confirmation, Wurzel.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

7th June, Broxhead
Not a lot but did see one Greenstreak
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

8th June, Noar Hill, 10.30-11.45, 16-21 degrees, 50/50 Sun/Cloud

Back here yet again because I had so much luck with the Small Blue the other day - I saw 29 of them on that occasion. So I decided to visit all the other areas of the reserve not visited that day to see how many more there were. I found a further 34 today.

This brings my annual total for this location to 63 and that is my record for this species at any Hampshire location I have ever visited.
P1160627.JPG
Plus, also found a rare version of the Buttercup. There was a small patch of Double Buttercups beside the bridle-path amidst all the normal ones. I have never seen them before.
Double Buttercup at Noar Hill - June 2021 (1).JPG
Ernie F

Return to “Personal Diaries”