VERY DARK COMMON BLUE

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Devon Dave

VERY DARK COMMON BLUE

Post by Devon Dave »

Hi all,
noticed this very dark blue Common Blue amongst many normal ones the other day in my local meadow. Wondered if it was the so called "Blue Form" or just a darker than average female. Any comments welcome.
Attachments
DSCN8577.JPG
DSCN8588.JPG
DSCN8584.JPG
millerd

Re: VERY DARK COMMON BLUE

Post by millerd »

Hi Dave - though this one is an interesting shade of dark turquoise (almost like some Adonis females), Common Blue females display a huge amount of variety from almost uniform brown with a few blue scales right through to 90% blue or more. The blue itself varies from very pale through to dark shades like yours. No two seem to be alike.

The term "blue form" doesn't really have any specific meaning in view of this wide variability. However, collecting shots of many different Common Blue females is a worthwhile exercise in itself - some of them are stunning! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Devon Dave

Re: VERY DARK COMMON BLUE

Post by Devon Dave »

Hi Dave,
and thank you so much for your most informative reply. I have seen literally scores of female Common Blues but this one was the darkest I have ever seen so far. So I thought I would post my images to get some clarity on its appearance for my own records. She was certainly most stunning and I was so pleased to capture her beauty for others to see.
Kindest regards for your information,
Dave G.

Return to “Identification”