It's not ALL bad news!

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Neil Hulme

It's not ALL bad news!

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
As 'contracts' designed to protect our countryside become reduced to a value below that of the paper they were written on, and some councils seem to persist in making decisions that Homer Simpson would be proud of, it's not ALL bad news! This thread generally highlights the 'negatives' that we see, and quite rightly so. But so that we don't fall into a pit of despair, I think it's worth pointing out some of the 'positives' too. I would guess that a high percentage of UKB visitors are Butterfly Conservation Members, but those that are'nt, please do consider signing up. Below is a recent posting to my branch website. Pleased to say that a second UKB member appears in Photo 4!

Thursday 11 September 2008: On behalf of Butterfly Conservation Sussex I would like to thank the Duke of Norfolk's Estate for allowing habitat management, primarily for the benefit of the endangered Duke of Burgundy butterfly, in woods near Arundel. The Estate has not only co-operated fully in the launch of this project, it has provided a great deal of assistance 'on the ground', providing both machinery and manpower. Immediate action was required to save a recently discovered colony, as the habitat was so overgrown that no food plant could be found! As the area regenerates (under future management), other species likely to benefit include the rare Pearl-bordered Fritillary and Drab Looper moth. In particular I would like to personally thank Mark Aldridge and Tony Hart of the Estate for their efforts, in often appalling weather conditions. Thanks also to those that turned out today to help at a work party. South Downs Joint Committee staff and volunteers were joined by BC helpers including Simon, Brian, Alan, Roger, Alexander and Eric. With assistance like this even our rarest species still stand a chance. (Neil Hulme)

(from top to bottom)
1. Before: A mass of impenetrable scrub, swamping out the food plant and threatening survival of 'the Duke'.
2. After: A strip cleared to allow the re-establishment of cowslips - note that only part of the site is cleared this year.
3. Mature Thuja (conifer) has been cleared, transforming a dense, dark area of woodland into new habitat, and providing a corridor to other suitable areas.
4. Today's work party in action.
Photo 1.jpg
Photo 1.jpg (105.5 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Photo 2.jpg
Photo 2.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Photo 3.jpg
Photo 3.jpg (92.68 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Photo 4.jpg
Photo 4.jpg (107.94 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Neil

Return to “Conservation”