Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Work 29-03-2021

And so begins the final week before the holiday…well several few days and with it the promise of a mini summer but ending promptly for the first day of the break – what a surprise – when we’ll revert back to something resembling winter. Oh well better make hay while the sun shines. So it was today with everything prepared for lessons 4, 5 and 6 during my free of lesson 3 and lunch eaten at the same time. The minute the bell went I was gone, like a sprinter off the blocks I was out of the door and away across the field. I was moving so fast that as I passed the smokers their fumes made spiral patterns in my slipstream. I was brought up short by a Small Tort right by the gate to the garages. To prevent Travellers getting onto the field a large earthen mound had been thrown up and the Small Tort was using this as a basking spot until I went hurtling by. It vacated this spot and landed on the field for a record shot. A second Small Tort down near the corner of the field in the Nettle patch was a little more approachable.
29-03-2021 1.JPG
29-03-2021 3.JPG
A Peacock messed around at the half way point – whizzing around and about and feigning settling, just to veer back skywards chuckling as it went. I pressed on and near the seed mound a Small Tort dancing delicately atop a Celandine whilst the fourth of the day stuck out like a sore thumb amid the dead grasses at the end. I managed to successfully avoid the P.I.T.A dog :evil: and hurried back to the lab, pausing on the way to get a few shots of a ‘party’ of fungi.
29-03-2021 4.JPG
29-03-2021 5.JPG
29-03-2021 6.JPG
29-03-2021 8.JPG
I might head to Middle Street later to take advantage of the glorious weather and see some more butterflies hopefully! There will be a regular Hay mountain by the end of this sunny period.
Last few days of sun
Winter is on its way back
As the break starts, natch…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

More Small Torts!. My tally so far this year is Small Tort 1, Large Tort 1. What does that tell you?.
Hope they are still around for my Wilts visit. Good to see your shots, I do miss seeing them.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That is a fine looking Bee fly :mrgreen: . Don't think that species is found near me.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:31 pm
The minute the bell went I was gone, like a sprinter off the blocks I was out of the door and away across the field. I was moving so fast that as I passed the smokers their fumes made spiral patterns in my slipstream. I was brought up short by a Small Tort right by the gate to the garages.
Wurzel
I can visualise that Wurzel, complete with screeching brake sounds when you saw the Small Tort :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some lovely near-perfect Tortoiseshells, Wurzel. :) That spell of weather has outdone anything since by a long chalk unfortunately... :? :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D You might want to skip through the shots in the next post...Fingers crossed there's still some about :)
Cheers Bugboy :D The female is even better as she has a line of white dots down her rump 8)
Cheers Neil :D :D Mr.Bolt didn't have nothing on me that lunch time :lol:
Cheers Dave :D The only bad thing about that spell of weather was it all over too quickly :? Still I took a leaf out of your book :D and made extra trips to make the most of it...

Middle Street 29-03-2021

After work I maintained velocity and practically flew home and got all the chores done in record time so before tea I headed out and took a stroll to Middle Street. The weather felt balmy compared to what we’ve experienced recently and it was a novel experience to be out without a jacket, even in the T-shirt and jumper I still felt somewhat overdressed. I was greeted by a Brimstone almost immediately I was through the gate but it was more of a passing hello than a full on greeting. Next up was a Small Tort which I followed down to near the little nook. A second Small Tort spotted the first from its vantage point and so a scarp ensued. It was good fun to watch up until a Peacock that I wanted to try and photograph joined in. One of the Small Torts, I suppose it would be considered the victor, came back to earth in a series of gentle glides and turns and started busily refuelling.
29-03-2021 b 1.JPG
After such a good start I eagerly made my way round to the Hotspot and it didn’t disappoint as it was alive with butterflies. I could make out 5 Small Torts and 2 Peacocks as I scanned across the Quagmire (giggity) path and the flat field. They seemed to take it in turns to annoy/be annoyed by a neighbour and at one point I watch as 2 battling Small Torts are joined by a third, then a fourth and finally when they all seem a bit weary a Peacock wades in trying to look all hard and impressive; “look at me taking on four Small Torts” he seems to cry loudly as he swoops in to attack – never mind the fact that all the Small Torts are battle worn and exhausted from the scrap!
29-03-2021 b 3.JPG
29-03-2021 b 4.JPG
29-03-2021 b 5.JPG
Whilst this is going on I manage to skirt around the edge of the small field and approach the dried pond from behind. As I’m contemplating the best way to get down into the pond without disturbing any of the butterflies and without snagging my jean a pair of Brimstones fly past each other on the far side as if to entice me onwards. So I carefully work my way down, slowly threading me foot down between branches and old reeds and pausing to let the wildlife calm back down again before inching forward through repetition of this manoeuvre. Once I’m safely down I scan around and spot a number of Bee-fly, a Comma and a very yellow leaf which looks totally out of place amid the beige/grey of dead reeds. It’s a Brimstone, its camouflage letting down for once so after a record shot of the Comma I slowly, ever so slowly, make my way across to the Lemon One. Leaving it in peace I reverse and try to reach the Comma but despite my sterling and almost Ninja like stalking skills it takes off. Only to fly round me once and then decide to land on my leg.
29-03-2021 b 6.JPG
29-03-2021 b 7.JPG
29-03-2021 b 8.JPG
After these intimate encounters I started round the pond, the large actually filled one that is and I spotted my first stand of Cuckoo Flower…OT’s can’t be far away now! On the near side of the pond a Peacock played around in the bushes and tried to embroil me in a game of chase and on the far side there was another brace of Peacocks one taking up quarters on each of the jetties. Then I reached Dip 1 and things started to heat up again. I took a quick stroll through the Dip and then climbed out onto the bank path turning back to scan across and down into the Dip. I watched for a couple of minutes noting where various butterflies took off from and where they landed again. At the end of the time I counted 2 Peacocks and I could see 4 different Small Torts – all of which had helpfully chosen an uncluttered spot to bask in so they stood out like a sore thumb; a little gemstone on a bed of straw. Dip 2 was a bit quieter with only 2 Peacocks but between Dip 2 and 3 there was again a courting couple of Small Torts and Dip 3 relative to its size was the busiest with 3 Peacocks and 2 Small Torts. This brought the total to a cracking 10 Peacocks and 15 Small Torts. There could have been more of each but I was doing my damnedest not to double count.
29-03-2021 b 10.JPG
29-03-2021 b 11.JPG
29-03-2021 b 12.JPG
29-03-2021 b 13.JPG
I reached the end and started the walk back noting Small Torts and Peacocks in all three of the Dips and then carried on past Dip 1 back to the Hotspot for a final check out before I checked out. There were 4 Small Torts ranging around the small, flat field and a single Peacock and in the dried up pond there was a second Peacock replacing the Comma which had now either vacated the property or had crawled into a nook or cranny and gone to bed. Over on the far side of the pond I spied a small white butterfly fluttering about. Carefully crossing over I could just make it out amid the uppermost Brambles which tower above you when you’re ‘in’ the pond. A distant record shot was all I could manage so see if you can spot the Small White.
29-03-2021 b 14.JPG
29-03-2021 b 15.JPG
A/ the Small Tort was on the corner near the nook still and there was another one at the end of the path near the entrance sign. The final butterflies of the day were a brace of Peacocks which were absorbing the evening sun whilst hanging from the boundary the fence. What a fantastic visit, if only it was going to continue in a similar vein from now on…
29-03-2021 b 16.JPG
29-03-2021 b 17.JPG
A cracking evening
Butterflies running amok
Fools Spring is now here

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

May 2021

Seems like we've had Winter in April and now it's looking like April showers in May :roll:
5 May 21.jpg

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

A Comma landing :mrgreen:
Good to see there plenty of STs round your way.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Katrina :D I was chuffed with that 'trousering' 8) I put it down to Lynx Africa :) ...or jean that needed a wash :? :lol: We are still doing okay for Small Torts possibly because we get more rain than the South East, hopefully it'll continue :?

Work 30-03-2021

Today was even warmer than yesterday – it’s going to make the forecasted drop in temperatures even harder to take. It was also quite frustrating watching a couple of butterflies through the window as I waited for lunchtime to arrive. A Brimstone actually landed on the shrubs and started nectaring – probably just taunting me as I was stuck teaching and then a Peacock went passing by and landed on the same bush. It would normally have been so easy to just grab my camera and nip out for a few shots but not now what with the one-way system in place as well having to record lessons in case anyone is absent.

When the lunch bell did arrive I was away out of the door. I really needed this especially as I faced the School Improvement Partner last lesson and then we had a Teams Meeting to discuss the GCSE Exams that aren’t actually exams but are tests that are based on GCSE Exam questions and have similar grade boundaries which will be used to give pupils a GCSE equivalent grade. There’s no-one quite like the DfE for calling a flat bladed digging instrument such when we all know that it’s a spade! Sorry politics over :oops: back to butterflies… :D

I walked the length of the field, down the back path ad there were good numbers of Small Torts along the way – the recent heat must have finally encouraged them out – or more likely got the retired local residents to open up their sheds! By the time I’d reached the half way point I’d counted a minimum of 5 Small Torts and only one Peacock which had been lurking in a garden. Most of the butterflies were very active and so to avoid double counting I only counted those before me or those that flew towards me. If they flew away then I waited to see if I’d catch up with them again. At the half way point photography got a little easier as the bank on the left hand side offers shelter and nectar sources and also restricts the area that the butterflies are found in as up to here they can fly into the field or over the fences and into gardens. I started picking up a few more Peacocks including two that were chasing each other round the tree at the start of the small lawn at the half way point. All along the Small Torts and Peacocks fluttered about and were surprisingly active but in a mid gear sort of way. They’d be busy feeding and move rapidly from flower to flower so getting shots was tricky but they weren’t flying great distances so counting was easier and so I found myself only trying for certain shots. At the turn around point I’d racked up a minimum count of 9 Small Torts and 8 Peacocks but there were probably more.
30-03-2021 1.JPG
30-03-2021 2.JPG
30-03-2021 3.JPG
30-03-2021 4.JPG
30-03-2021 5.JPG
30-03-2021 7.JPG
So to the return trip and although I’d cut back through the estate I reset the tally to zero and off I went again just trying for shots if they were handed to me on a plate. Looking back in my notebook the order of play ran; Small Tort, 3 Small Torts, 2 Small Torts and a Peacock in the garden, at the mound 2 Small Torts. As the track narrowed after the Parrot garden I noticed that the butterflies were now less likely to be buzzing around nectar sources but rather they were perching on the Brambles more often than not. One Peacock even seemed to be seeking out shade and was closed up possibly having gotten too warm? To be fair the temperatures have more than doubled in a couple of days so it must be a shock to the system.
30-03-2021 8.JPG
30-03-2021 10.JPG
At the half way point I turned right and stopped briefly at the Rockery where I saw my final Small Tort and brace of Peacocks of the outing. All told there had been a minimum 11 Small Torts and 4 Peacocks on this part of the return journey so a very productive 20 minutes!
30-03-2021 11.JPG
Peacocks a plenty
And bucket loads of Small Torts
Short spring for a time

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

You're certainly filling your boots with Small Tortoiseshells, Wurzel :) we've not seen many in our neck of the woods so far, but there's plenty of time yet :wink: :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

I wonder if that Small Tort successfully obtained nectar from that daffodil, amazing!.
The only butterfly I've ever seen on a daff was a female OT which spent the night on
the seed head of one in my garden a few years back.

Great stuff, stay well,
Trevor.

PS. ' The Hill ' beckons!.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Mike :D This season has been all about the 'getting out while you still can' - I really need some time to just look though all my shots and see if I can work out how many different individuals there are but time is rarer than rocking horse poop :roll: :lol:
Cheers Trevor :D I don;t know Trevor I suspect that it was just using it as a perch and was having a bit of a nose - I've seen (and got a shot of) a Brimstone doing something similar. There was also a Peacock definitely just using it as a perch...see below :wink:

Work 31-03-2021

After the mini heatwave yesterday it was a much cloudier and slightly cooler affair as I set off for my usual lunchtime walk. A Small Tort was playing along the edge of the field near the dumped hump to stop Traveller incursions but if I hadn’t have been chatting to the smokers I’d have missed it. I carried on down along the field scanning all around to no avail and then headed down the back track to the half way point adding a second Small Tort and a Peacock on the journey. It seemed like the cloud was going to be a mixed blessing - yes it would calm everything down but it would also keep some of the butterflies hidden away.
31-03-2021a 1.JPG
Just past the mound a brace of Peacocks were controlling the airspace and one was supping at a Daffodil just as a Small Tort had been the day before. Along to the end there were three more Small Torts bringing the total to 5 and at the very end a Peacock posed nicely on the Grape Hyacinth/Muscari opening up and revealing a very sombre stained glass window.
31-03-2021a 3.JPG
31-03-2021a 4.JPG
31-03-2021a 6.JPG
31-03-2021a 7.JPG
31-03-2021a 8.JPG
The return visit back to the half way point saw a total of four Small Torts and two Peacocks – one remaining at the mound and the second on the corner of the vegetation at the half-way point. A charm of Goldfinches on the rockery had scared off any butterflies but I did spy a Small Tort in one of the gardens in the estate as I cut back through. After the double digits yesterday things were a fair bit quieter today either because the butterflies had dispersed after their emergence or they were keeping a low profile in the cooler climate with only the real stalwarts hanging out.
31-03-2021a 9.JPG
A cooler climate
Only the stalwarts stay out
The rest hide away

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 31-03-2021

I stopped off on way home – not at the usual Larkhill pull-in but actually at Five Rivers. I had hoped that the sun would be beating down on the Banks but unfortunately I had no such luck as when I pulled into the car park despite it still being reasonably right the sky was a light grey from wall to wall. As I strolled along the riverside path I spotted a Peacock on the fallen tree in the spot which the Red Admirals prefer during the autumn but approaching it would have meant a fair bit of trampling and like as not it would have flown long before I’d got it in range so instead I just watched it for a short while, marvelling at how it held its wings so flat it seemed to almost meld into the dead wood.

A quick scan around at both the lower and upper side of Comma Corner saw me drawing a blank and as I set off along the Banks I wondered to myself if I’d made the right call – perhaps I should have banked the Brownie points and just gone straight home? However a Comma holding territory on one of the tiny tracks down the Banks proved me wrong. I could see why it had chosen this particular spot as on either side the grasses were tall and impenetrable in some places whereas on this little track the grass had been kept down by infrequent trampling of passers by trying to get from the Banks to the Riverside path. The shorter turf meant that it could sit with wings held wide open and so maximise the amount of heat it could absorb while also having a clear view of those entering its air space.
31-03-2021b 1.JPG
Slightly further along there was a Peacock which was trying a slightly different tactic in that instead of occupying a track way it was flitting from flattened patch to flattened patch. It would land, open its wings wide and try to bask in the brightness rather than the full glare of the sun. After a short while it would take to the air and seek out a similar flattened patch.
31-03-2021b 2.JPG
I carried on and upon reaching the end of the Banks I looked from the corner along towards the far corner. The wind was whipping along and the clouds seemed to be thickening from that direction so rather than continuing on a circuit and headed back the way I’d come, sticking to the relatively sheltered Banks. The Peacock was probably around somewhere but I didn’t see it whereas the Comma was much easier to relocate. It was still holding its territory on the tiny trackway and had probably only moved 10 centimetres from where I’d first seen it.
31-03-2021b 3.JPG
Back at Comma Corner there was a second Peacock but it was pretty skittish even in the cool and increasing drear and there was also an interesting looking bee mimic Hoverfly. However the sun had definitely given up and wasn’t looking like it was ever going to find its hat let alone put it on so I made for home. As I drove away I hoped for better weather but as we’re starting the break tomorrow I’m sure that the weather will take a turn to the poopy side.
31-03-2021b 5.JPG
31-03-2021b 6.JPG
Comma and Peacock
On a cloudy afternoon
Where art thou oh sun?

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 01-04-2021

It was noticeably cooler and cloudier this morning and we’d also had a spell of rain showers. I shouldn’t have been surprised as after all today is when the schools break up across England for possibly the most frustrating school holiday. Luckily we finished on a half day and by the time I was driving home the sun had started to sneak through the clouds and it looked like it might be an okayish afternoon. Another lucky feature of today was that I’d had a couple of frees first things and so I’d already eaten my lunch early and the final lucky thing was that it was a non-uniform day so I dropped my bags in the door and headed straight back out towards Middle Street.

From the entrance to the first corner the cloud just covered the sun so I knew why it was still quiet and as I approached the first corner and made across the grass to the little nook a Small Tort was basking and as the first rays peered round the cloud he took off and started doing ‘circuits and bumps’; taking off, flying round in a wide circle and then touching down for a fraction of a second in a very similar place before repeating the process ad infinitum. I found a Wasp and a Peacock and got a few shots of the later before the Small Tort did a wider circuit and put the Peacock up along with a second Small Tort that I’d not noticed. A second Peacock joined the fray and all four went spiralling up, locked in a battle to the death.
01-04-2021 1.JPG
01-04-2021 3.JPG
While I was almost at the Quagmire path (giggity) I spot a Peacock down on the rushes from where it practically jumps out it’s so obvious, just to the other side of it there’s a Small Tort but this one isn’t playing ball and so I continue round to the Hotspot. It seems that the small field is used as a basking pint and everything had warmed up nicely as it’s now quiet but down in the dry pond a Peacock and a Comma are taking advantage of the peace afforded by this piece of sheltered accommodation as they’re sitting close enough to get them both within view. After clambering down and then back out without disturbing them a Small Tort goes hurtling skywards upon my final step out- so my perfect record became tarnished!
01-04-2021 4.JPG
01-04-2021 5.JPG
01-04-2021 6.JPG
From here I moved straight over to the Dips the first of which only holds a Peacock which is surprising as this is normally the busiest spot of the three and I couldn’t work out whether this was because things had yet to come out into the sun or had already done so and would be zooming about elsewhere? I carried on along the bank path towards Dip 2 while a Small Tort and Peacock keep buzzing each other from the side of the bank and a couple more Small Torts disappear away from me towards the end of the site. Down in Dip 2 itself there is an old, battered Peacock which I wondered whether it still possessed the ability to fly but I recall a few years back encountering Stumpy the Small Tort who possessed even less wing surface and he did okay. A fresher Peacock joins the old timer and I move onto Dip 3. Looking down I can see both a Peacock and a really obvious Small Tort. I went for the Small Tort first as it probably felt a little conspicuous sitting on the reed pile and then photos taken I stalked down the Peacock which hadn’t moved from its spot. It was using a patch of bare soil as a sun bed, absorbing as much warmth from it as it could.
01-04-2021 8.JPG
01-04-2021 9.JPG
01-04-2021 10.JPG
By the time that I reach the end of the site the wind has picked up, just it make it a little trickier still along with the constantly changing light levels and temperature! While I let it blow itself I add up the tally; I’m confident about the accuracy of the 8 Small Torts but the Peacocks at 10 seem a little high as they seem to have been more active today and I reckon the same Peacock turned up in Dip 1, 2 and 3…Oh well I decide to see if I can count the same number on the second half of the outing and as the wind has dropped down to a slight breeze I start the return journey. Mainly this time sticking to the Banked path and looking down into the Dips. As I’m making my way Small tort flies past me, over my shoulder so that’s one to be careful not to double count. Another does the same thing for a way but then drops down so I can strike a mark on the tally. The old Peacock is still down in Dip 2 and I catch up with the grounded second Small Tort with one more further along the Bank – the first one possibly? There’s also a Dotted Bee-fly – a female, the line of white spots making it identifiable even when in flight.
01-04-2021 11.JPG
At the end of the Bank level with Dip 1 but on the opposite side the path slopes down into the Footy field and there was a flurry of activity which started with two Small Torts one of which goes down whilst the other flies down into Dip 1. I spy another Peacock and then watch as two Small Torts fly out of Dip1, over the path and seemingly away over the field leaving a single, solitary Small Tort looking a little alone down in Dip1. I walk to the other side of the path and look down into the corner where it slopes down and both Peacock and Small Tort are in view but they seem a little twitchy. I go for it and pull off a few shots of each anyway and then backing up I reverse up the slope and away along the banked path before they’ve even realised. Checking back the photos there are at least 4 Small Torts in this little area, I say ‘at least’ as I didn’t manage to get shots of every one and it was a bit of a blur.
01-04-2021 12.JPG
01-04-2021 15.JPG
01-04-2021 16.JPG
01-04-2021 17.JPG
As I’m making my way along the path I happen to look down into and spot a Peacock but even better than that- a Comma. I look closely at it through the viewfinder and my hunch that it’s a different individual from the one in the dried up pond proves correct as on the back edge of the fore wings are a pair of silver studs. Chuffed I carry on and the/a Peacock is down on the rushes. It sits nicely right up until the pint when an Ashy mining Bee bombs it, sending it packing. As it flies away I actually ignore it as I’ve spotted all manner of other macro subjects – 2 Bumble Bees, and interesting Drone fly, tiny mining bees, ladybirds, Bee-flies and disappearing as soon as you set eyes on them a myriad of tiny black spiders.
01-04-2021 19.JPG
01-04-2021 20.JPG
Back at the dried up pond the Peacock (I’m guessing it was the same one) and the Comma (yep this one was definitely) had been joined by a Brimstone. As I’d already gotten shots of the other two I concentrated on the incomer and after what felt like a thousand shots I slowly backed up and out of the pond and realised that it was time to go so I turned my camera off, underlined the final entry in my notebook and head down set a course for home…well I did note the two Peacocks near the boundary fence. A pretty great start to the break!
01-04-2021 21.JPG
Oh surprise, surprise
With the break comes the cold cloud
Get out while I can!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 02-04-2021

We’d started the day by visiting Mottisfont but the sun belied and flattered to deceive as it was mighty nippy out despite the brightness. We started off over the boardwalk and then paused on the bridge for the now obligatory ‘fish jumping from the water’ shot. The small path running alongside the crystal clear stream that flows from the eponymous ‘Font’ and so we took this for a change. The dappled sun light meant that we experienced fluctuating temperatures from pleasant back to cold. In one of the flower beds landed and I managed to approach it by following a little track that obviously set out by the gardener when they’d planted out the clutches of Primroses and Daffs.
02-04-2021 1.JPG
02-04-2021 2.JPG
There was a second up near the Font while we were walking along the feature woodland path though this time it remained pretty well hidden (or so it thought) and unapproachable (which indeed it was). After a few record shot attempts we carried on and from here through the Walled Garden, out across the fields and back by the Riverside path but alas there wasn’t a single butterfly…that is until we reached Broughton on the drive home when a Brimstone flew along the hedgerow beside us. It seemed that we’d made the visit too early and the butterflies were only just waking up…
02-04-2021 3.JPG
Once we’d gotten back things and warmed up sufficiently and so I grabbed my camera and was away to Five Rivers. I don’t know why I chose this site over Middle Street today but I had an inkling that it might produce the goods…And it didn’t take long for my hunch to play out as my first butterfly of the trip was a First for the Year. As I walked along the riverside path hoping to catch a White of some description that’s exactly what I saw. It was large and very white, a possible male Large White I thought. Luckily as I followed it with my eyes, feeling my head swivel and bob echoing the slightly frenetic and rapid flight of the butterfly it decided to land on the some large blossom which beautifully complimented it. A short spring later and I was within range and there on the memory card was my first Large White of 2021. After this fuel stop it went on another searing flight before ending up a short distance away this time down on a Dandelion showing off the pure white forewings with their large shark fin like tips. While I was celebrating this I temporarily adopted Molly the puppy. She took a liking to me so much so that I had to walk back the way I’d come throwing a stick for her to fetch several times so that she’d return to her actual owner.
02-04-2021 4.JPG
02-04-2021 6.JPG
Once Molly had been reunited with her owner I headed back once more to the Glades. As I cut through the trees a Red Admiral bombed by me. I watched with bated breath as it went down but I could tell by the rapid wing flicking that it was agitated and so all I could get was a record shot – but at least I’d gotten shots now of all the species that I’d seen so far in 2021. As I watched it vamoose up ahead I spied a familiar tangerine coloured butterfly. As I approached cautiously and the butterfly grew in size the tangerine became darker until there was my first Orange-tip of 2021. I fired off a few record shots realising that it wouldn’t be hanging around for long and indeed he didn’t. No matter I’d seen the butterfly that for me means the season is well underway, the one I long for all through those dreary winter months. That shock of orange on the fore wings is just stunning; an assault on the visual cortex.
02-04-2021 7.JPG
02-04-2021 8.JPG
To be perfectly frank I could have called it a day right then and I’d have been happy. However the problem with this time of year is that you can never really tell when the next trip will come. During the summer months it doesn’t matter where you go you can expect to see a couple of butterflies pretty much anywhere but at this time of year, what with the vagaries of the weather there could be a week or more between butterflies. So when you’re out there’s a feeling of making sure you see everything! So onwards and upwards towards Comma Corner. When I arrive there a Peacock has usurped the Commas and is sunning itself on the little path that leads into the spinney that the Commas are always fighting over. I carry on up the rise and round behind the spinney and I spot two Small Whites sunning themselves on the brambles. One comes down a little lower and the other comes down onto the deck so I fire off a few shots hoping that something will come out unbleached. At the either end of the spinney there are a Comma and Peacock and I wonder how long it’ll take the former to fight his way back to the hallowed turf on the little path into the spinney?
02-04-2021 10.JPG
02-04-2021 11.JPG
After this I take the normal route along the Banks and as usual I spend almost as much time noting down sightings in my notebook as taking photographs of the butterflies. At the fallen tree there’s a Peacock to get the ball rolling. Then just after the line of trees there are a further two Peacocks and a Comma. At the bench are another pair of Peacocks and a Small Tort with a second, more resplendent one down on the deck on the corner at the end. After getting a few shots of this lovely looking Small Tort I poke my head round the corner and look along the back path to the far corner of the site. The wind is fairly whipping along, and like a stiletto blade it slices expertly through my jacket chilling me. I decide to double back the way I’ve come as that will offer me the best chance of finding some butterflies along the sheltered Banks.
02-04-2021 13.JPG
02-04-2021 14.JPG
02-04-2021 15.JPG
Among the Peacocks ad the Comma this time I was joined by 2 Small Whites and a Brimstone. The former kept interfering with each other much to my annoyance. I’d have a shot lined up on one Small White and then the second would patrol by and either the first would take off to chase away the second or the second would dive in an attack the first. Either way it meant that I could have covered the length and breadth of the Banks several times over if I’d have tried to follow one or the other so in the end I found a likely looking patch of Bramble, stood back from it and waited. A Small White landed, I stepped forward and took a few shots and then stood back just as the second appeared and off the two of them went again bickering like siblings. It was at this juncture that I noticed a Brimstone that was low down feeding on Dead Nettles and trying to keep a low profile. He certainly seemed to be enjoying the nectar; his head was so far in I wondered if he’d misidentified it and it was actually a pitcher plant and he was falling to his doom!
02-04-2021 16.JPG
02-04-2021 17.JPG
Back at Comma Corner the Commas had taken their territory back with a pair seemingly on guard duty, one on either side of the small path into the spinney. This pair were soon joined by a third and this one’s arrival proved that two’s company and three’s an argument (that is the way the saying goes isn’t it?) and all three went tearing off after each other. I lose track of them as two Small Whites go past one after the other followed by another pair almost as quickly. I follow them up and round to the back but the strong sun is making getting any on film tricky. To this end I head back to the corner and go round the lower side of the spinney hoping that there might be a little shade here which means any shots won’t be bleached out in the surprisingly strong sun. I manage to find a couple of Small Whites and so step back and wait for them to settle. Eventually they do and with a quick step or two forward I bag a few more shots. As I’m wandering back chuffed to bits after such a brilliant (shots of all 8 species that I’ve seen in 2021) spring afternoon male Orange-tip does a fly-by to wave me off.
02-04-2021 19.JPG
02-04-2021 20.JPG
02-04-2021 21.JPG
02-04-2021 22.JPG
I love Orange-tips
That vivid splash of orange
Cannot get enough

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another Rescue Mission 03-04-2021

I don’t know what it is but I’ve become something of a magnet for Small Whites… Last year I had an early one desperate to escape from my Lab in mid-February. This year I saved one from freezing to death in January and then a third sought out my assistance. The weather had taken a turn for the much cooler and on this particular Saturday the morning had been bright but very cold. Around lunch time it had warmed up slightly – reaching high single figures but not making it quite into the double digits and this along with the very intermittent sun meant that getting out and looking for butterflies seemed like a futile exercise.

My wife and I decided to leave the girls in peace (or was it so we could get some peace ourselves?) and head out for our usual exercise walk. I’d just stepped out and was turning to lock up behind us when I spotted an off-white triangle in the middle of the footpath. As I approached it resolved into a Small White, down on the deck and down on its luck. It must have set forth from somewhere snug in one of the very short breaks in the cloud and had got caught out by the sudden drop in temperature when the sun had been swallowed up by the thick cloud. I got a few shots as we’ve reached that time of year when I don’t leave home without my camera and then moved it onto the closest door frame so that it wouldn’t get trampled or squashed.
03-04-2021 1.JPG
03-04-2021 2.JPG
03-04-2021 3.JPG
On returning from our walk the sun had well and truly disappeared and it had remained cold so I moved the butterfly from the exposed doorframe which it was still grimly clutching. After it had crawled onto my finger and encouraged it to crawl into a tumble of weeds that were growing at the side of the path between the bricks of the terrace and the flagstones. I reasoned that this would the most natural shelter for it and hopefully tomorrow it would be able fly off when the cloud cleared as we were forecast a nice afternoon…
If only I had this effect on Large Tortoiseshells?

Caught out by the cold
A Small White down on its luck
Rescuer Wurzel

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great work with the Small White. Around here you are just as likely to see
a Large Tort as a Small Tort. One of each so far!.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I've been going back through your PD entries, Wurzel. As usual some very fine pictures. I don't know how I missed it but your entry for Middle Street on 27th March 2021 has a photo which reminded me of an Impressionist painting - loved it.

Also those Upper Phrase Tanka's ranging from the humorous to the truly poetic adds a whole new dimension. I particularly liked this one from a while back.

I try to escape
But they pull me right back in
I don’t mind really…

I think all us butterfly enthusiasts can identify with that sentiment.

I'm no poet but I thought I would have a go at it - first time ever...

I pause to admire
These fine images and words
An inspiration
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

A nice study of the Small White, Wurzel. :) I think the combination of strong sun and cold air has caught quite a few butterflies unaware. The transition from one to the other has often been abrupt and deprived suddenly of the sun's energy they haven't time to tuck themselves away. I do wonder how many have actually been killed by the frosts we've had when they've left themselves too exposed overnight.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Having only ever seen but not got any shots of a Large Tort I'd take that ratio :wink: :mrgreen:
Cheers Ernie for your very kind comments :D Hopefully I'm getting close to James May in my Haiku construction 8)
Cheers Dave :D I know what you mean about the sudden transition - I swear I've seen some butterflies just falling from the sky as the cloud passes over :( Things have got to improve soon surely :?

Stourhead and on… 04-04-2021

To take advantage of the final day of spring/summer for the foreseeable future we’d booked a slot at Stourhead. Normally by this time of the year I could be guaranteed some butterflies on a visit here but what with Co-vid restrictions still having an effect and so causing all the best bit for this time of year to out of bounds I wasn’t as sure as I’d usually be about picking up some shots. I was hoping maybe for my first Specklie on the walk down the side of the hill and maybe an Orange-tip up near the Temple of Apollo? However my hopes were dashed as the areas in shade stayed cold and even when out in the warmth of the sun a cruel wind clawed then temperature back down. In the end I settled for a nice walk, enjoying those moments when the wind died and the suns warmth was noticeable on my back and the glorious scents and smells that seemed to fill the air. It was only on the very last stage as we were leaving the gardens that a butterfly finally hove into view – a brilliant Brimstone that didn’t hang around for long.

There were several more on the latter parts of the drive home and when we’d gotten back and I was unloading the car it felt positively balmy! So instead of unpacking I poured the remnants of my flask into my travel cup, picked up my camera and headed out once more. My feet took over and I realised that I was walking the familiar route to Five Rivers, sipping coffee on the go. A Brimstone went sailing past and unusually it flopped down and took a breather…Now I was in a bit of a quandary; I usually have my camera over my shoulder and I’m used to using both hands to swing it round ready for shot taking but now one of my hands was full with my coffee so I had to swing it round with one hand, switch it on, hold it steady and shoot all one handed as well as making a stealthy approach so as not to spook it. As I stood back the butterfly took to the air and so I managed to change settings and point and shoot again one handed. I think I got away with it and so a little chuffed I carried on with another couple of Brimstones along the way.
04-04-2021 1.JPG
As I strolled along the river side and up to towards the glades I was joined by a brace of Peacocks. One was down low and then flew further into the reserve and up into some blossom where I spied out the second, hanging upside down and drinking deeply of the nectar. There was a third Peacock in the glades but a Willow-Chiff and a Robin were skulking about in the brambles and so scaring the other butterflies off so I continued up to Comma Corner. This now seems to be the place to be for the butterflies of Five Rivers with the banks possibly a bit too overgrown and the grass stifling the nettles and wildflowers. As I approached a brace of Small Whites were flying away to the other corner and a Peacock looked to have usurped the usual Comma as it was sitting on the deck in the idle of the little track that runs into the spinney. I carried on up the hill and spotted another Peacock and a pair of Small Torts locked in mortal combat, spiralling upwards like Tony Stark and Obadiah Stane in Iron Man. A Small White was much more mundane as it flew in a predictable fashion, teasing at landing but never doing so. I retraced my steps and worked my way along the other bank adding another pair of Brimstone and a Comma to the tally.
04-04-2021 2.JPG
04-04-2021 3.JPG
04-04-2021 4.JPG
04-04-2021 5.JPG
From here I worked back around to start my wanderings along the Banks. What in previous years has been a vast swathe of Nettles is now a tussocky mess of cooch and other grasses so it was no wonder that a single Comma on the riverside path and a Peacock near the bench along the Banks were the only butterflies seen through this stretch – neither of which were on the banks proper. The less grassy end of the Banks held a couple of Peacocks and I pressed on walking the back path to the far side of the reserve. Once in the far corner there were a couple of Brimstones and then I cut diagonally back towards the top of the Banks stopping off at the ‘island’ on the way. The mass of blossom here saw another battle although this time I think the Small Tort was punching outside of its weight class as it was taking on a Peacock. In my mind Small Torts are the toughest of the Vanessids – I think it’s the combination of tiger colours and stripes – and I swear that I could hear it ripping the piss out of the showy Peacock before seeing it off and landing so that it could seek out its next challenger.
04-04-2021 6.JPG
04-04-2021 7.JPG
I found myself back at Comma Corner and placed myself on the very tip of the corner so that I could see the Comma hang out and the far bank at the same time. This paid off and over the time I was there I notched up two a piece of Small White, Brimstone and Peacock as well as singletons of Small Tort, Comma and Large White. However by now it had got quite warm so nothing was settling, or if it did take a pause it was to refuel from the blossom high up and out of reach of my lens so I started back. I paused to allow a Brimstone to help me identify a fast flying white as a Large (they were the same size) but then after crossing the wooden bridge instead of heading home I turned right and headed up river.
There wasn’t anything to see until just before nature reserve sign when there was a Comma basking near the edge of the river. A Peacock flew overhead threatening to spook the Comma so I was extra careful in my approach expecting the marauding Peacock to dive down and hassle my quarry at any moment but luckily this didn’t come to pass and I was able to fire off a few shots. I needed to head back now so just watched a couple of Small Whites instead of trying to follow them. It was as I watching them that I spied a smaller, creamy looking butterfly, a male Orange-tip. It was flying upstream but instead of flying to my side of the river it crossed over and I watched, grinding my teeth in frustration as it proceeded to fly into the Glades and settle down near to the spot I’d been at only 5 minutes previously! Oh well there’s always another day…
04-04-2021 8.JPG
04-04-2021 9.JPG
Cold wind at Stourhead
Meant a trip to Five Rivers
For butterfly fix

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”