May 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

May 2021

Post by David M »

We've had plenty of sunshine and lately we've had some rain....

....can we now have some warmth, please?
petesmith

Re: May 2021

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 pm We've had plenty of sunshine and lately we've had some rain....

....can we now have some warmth, please?
I'll second that David - here in Lincolnshire we seem to have been stuck in a predominantly north-easterly airstream for weeks. Cold nights in low single figures and days rarely reaching 10 degrees. The vegetation gives the impression of the end of March! Not good for early season species. But at last today we have rain..in buckets-full.
Medard

Post by Medard »

After a week of chilling temperatures this morning there were good numbers of migrating hirondelles passing across Tealham Moor,  plus a happy Sedge Warbler, warbling, Perhaps they know something we don't know.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p57 ... #h8f1b117d
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The house-martins returned here yesterday.

In Exmoor last weekend - the sun and drought had bleached the moor-grass almost white, making it look oddly like parts of Spain or Morocco.
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm I'll second that David - here in Lincolnshire we seem to have been stuck in a predominantly north-easterly airstream for weeks. Cold nights in low single figures and days rarely reaching 10 degrees. The vegetation gives the impression of the end of March! Not good for early season species. But at last today we have rain..in buckets-full.
Yes, Pete. It's been extraordinary lately. I'm sat in the conservatory with the wood fire blazing away right now, yet at 2pm the strong sun made it feel like a sauna. :shock:

I'm quite glad for the rain, but it's high time we left these 9-11c temperatures behind where they belong....in late February!!
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

It took the BBC a month of the season to stitch me up with one of their legendary woeful weather forecasts. The forecast all day was white fluffy clouds with sun peeking behind them periodically. My 100 mile round trip to try and see some Grizzled Skippers gave me:

- Black and grey clouds.
- Frequent showers.
- No butterflies.

Cheers BBC Weather. :roll:
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Fresh Dukes out on the hill this lunchtime. Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
2nd May
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:41 pm..Fresh Dukes out on the hill this lunchtime. Battlesbury Hill, Wiltshire
Great news, Stevie. If they can get through tomorrow's atrocious Bank Holiday weather, they should have a fair run of milder and sunnier conditions ahead of them.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

It's quite likely that the strong winds today will bring down elm seeds and oak twigs with unfurling leaves, which may have hairstreak caterpillars on them - if so, it's worth trying to rear them and getting good views of the adults when they emerge. White-letter hairstreak caterpillars give away their presence by nibbling out the seed at the centre of the papery elm samara, but leaving the rest, although I'm not sure if they are the only elm-feeder that does this.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Finally got a couple of pictures of a female Orange Tip after seeing nothing but males! So windy this afternoon that even though it was quite warm there was nothing else showing itself.
Attachments
3C888D15-EBFF-4B9D-BD2A-A643C18A1836.jpeg
92E60638-7DC5-468C-AFDF-03FC65CAC75E.jpeg
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

My 1st post this season...its been a long Winter/hibernation for me!

This last Sunday(2/5/21) was the 1st time i had gone "butterflying" too!...Ive just struggled to find the motivation this season...but it was good to get out there, an capture some nice images.

Target species were Skippers, approx 6 Grizzlies were seen, an just the one Dingy! Location - Bluebell Hill Kent, afternoon session, after sitting in the car an waiting for the rain to stop(nearly went home) but glad i stuck it out.

No other species of butterfly were sighted on the day!! so a very poor showing for 2/5/21.

Anyway, some images of those Grizzlies, cheers Paul.

No images are cropped, just down sized. 2 camera set ups used.
P1230264-copy-to-800.jpg
P1400522-copy-to-800.jpg
P1400489-copy-to-800.jpg
P1400711-copy-to-800.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you back, TM. Those Grizzled Skipper images are first class.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Made it to Abbots Wood today and avoided the showers. The swathes of Bluebells greeted me, a sight I missed out on completely last year
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
There were also some Fritillaries, minimum of 5 males and 1 female so early days here still.
IMG_0122.JPG
Trevor was also there and pointed out a mating pair of Grizzlies to add to my in cop collection. I've come down with a mild case of Wurzel though so the full report will probably see the light of day sometime next week... :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I found a 3rd instar white-letter hairstreak larva today in the local meadow:

Last year, I found 3rd instars from the first half of April and by the beginning of May they were all 4th instar and zooming off to look for somewhere to pupate. This is the first caterpillar I've found since they left the elm flowers so I don't know what state most of them are in, but my impression is this is a very late year here in Suffolk.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great observations, Guy! I had to pick my youngest son up from Oxford today and travelled through rain, hailstones and heavy sleet to get home. This is a bonkers year weather-wise!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

That is a great find Guy. My aspiration is to a) be able to find in the first place b) be able to identify. I think it will take me a good 15 years minimum to reach the same level of knowledge as everyone on here.

Is the weather for 2021 cheesing me off? Yes. It is spectacularly annoying. Everything seems a few weeks behind where it should be. My local landscape in South Derbyshire still looks bare and quite desolate in places.

Tonight between 4am and 6am we have a frost forecast. At 6am we have sleet forecast. The weather for 6th May. I think that is the last of the frost for this spring but I think I said that to myself a week ago.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks Pete. Admittedly, I've been inside quite a lot recently, with the IB exams starting tomorrow, but I've barely seen a butterfly a day in the last week or so. The odd orange tip floats around the garden like a lost ghost and every so often a peacock bursts out of the flower bed, but for the most part it's been a disaster.

Otep, caterpillars are all about getting the eye in. Once you've seen one white-letter hairstreak (or purple emperor, or orange tip, or whatever you're looking for) you start seeing them everywhere. I went back to the meadow this evening with my ultraviolet flashlight and found another - also third instar, and really quite small:

You can still see a little pink colouration near the rear end. I think that means it's not long out of 2nd instar (early instars sport pink because they feed in elm flowers but lose it when they move to the leaves).

The eggs started hatching in February. So that's over two months to reach third instar ... It's been cold!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 pm..The eggs started hatching in February. So that's over two months to reach third instar ... It's been cold!
That puts things perfectly into perspective, Guy. :(
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Not much happening in my neck of the woods, mainly thanks to the weather where we have had to reclassify 12C as “a scorcher”. But it did give an opportunity to focus on a species that doesn’t often create excitement, Green-veined White. Here is a male upperside, a female upper- and underside (the same butterfly - the underside missing a few of the cream scales) and a female Orange-tip, closed up and giving a clue to the weather of the past few days.
Pieris napi_47839.JPG
Pieris napi_47836.JPG
Pieris napi_47829.JPG
Anthocharis cardamines_47821.JPG
Roger
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:34 pm Not much happening in my neck of the woods, mainly thanks to the weather where we have had to reclassify 12C as “a scorcher”.
I am going to redefine Roger's "scorcher" and recalibrate it for Lincolnshire - these days up here, a "scorcher" is anything above 9 degrees C!

And I also have been concentrating of late on the only available subject matter. G-V-White and Orange-tip.

In desperation, I am beginning to think I might do a study on the frequencies of the presence or absence of the post-discal spot in spring brood male G-V-Whites...
Green-veined White male.JPG
Green-veined White male 2.JPG
Orange-tip male.JPG
Orange-tip female.JPG

Return to “Sightings”