dilettante

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: dilettante

Post by kevling »

Nice images from your day dilettante. I too was out in a similar habitat today. As you say, you don't need any rarities to have a good time. Just seeing so many butterflies on the wing is what days like this are all about.

Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Still great photos Dilettante :D I know what you mean about the numbers - it's been a pleasure to see so many Small Heaths more than last year so far :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a real underside fest, dilettante. Very nicely presented (as usual). :D
dilettante

dilettante - some Portuguese butterflies (and id help please)

Post by dilettante »

Just back from a holiday on northern Portugal. As usual with family holidays, butterflies weren't the main agenda, but I took my opportunities when I could. Here are some pictures - I would appreciate any correction or confirmation of the IDs.

First stop was near Gerês.

I think this is an Iberian Marbled White? They seemed more glide-y than our regular Marbled Whites
Iberian Marbled White

This Wood White was nice and co-operative
Wood White

Wood White

The following day I grabbed this shot - Spanish Purple Hairstreak?
Spanish Purple Hairstreak

And is this a Purple-shot Copper?
Purple-shot Copper

Later I rescued this which was floating purple-side-up in the hotel swimming pool. A Purple Hairstreak, ibericus form? My wife reckoned the butterfly gods or karma would reward me for my efforts.
Purple Hairstreak

You can see its scales look a bit disarrayed from its ordeal in the pool. It stayed on this leaf overnight but was gone by lunchtime the next day, so hopefully if flew off somewhere.
Purple Hairstreak

Nearby was this Lulworth Skipper
Lulworth Skipper

Moving on to a new location near Guimarães:

I think this is just a Common Blue
Common Blue

This was more interesting:
Sooty Copper

Sooty Copper

We took the cable car up to nearby Penha. Being one of the highest points around, I guessed it might be a good hilltopping site for swallowtails. I wasn't wrong - this one was flying around as we arrived. (A fellow tourist asked me what sort of bird it was :-) )
Swallowtail

A Queen of Spain Fritillary in the flower beds
Queen of Spain Fritillary

Going a bit higher, under a statue of Pope Pious IX, was a major hilltopping site. Swallowtails and Scarce Swallowtails were all around, gliding, duelling and occasionally landing.
Swallowtail

Scarce Swallowtail

Scarce Swallowtail

Bath White

Bath White

Blue-spot Hairstreak

I wasn't sure on this one - False Ilex Hairstreak?
False Ilex Hairstreak?

While I was watching the swallowtails, something else flew after one, something I have never seen before, wasn't expecting to see, but knew instantly what it was. My wife's prediction about karma had come true.

Two-tailed Pasha

It wasn't in greatest condition, but such an amazing insect. I spent a long time with it/them (there were at least two TTPs) and the other hilltop residents. I tried to get some open-wing shots of it in flight, but it was too fast for me to focus. Then I tried gently shading it with my hat, and persuaded it to open up a little

Two-tailed Pasha

Two-tailed Pasha

That was a great experience that I won't forget in a hurry.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Wonderful shots from Portugal, Dilettante. Yes - false ilex hairstreak, and yes too, that purple hairstreak is ssp. ibericus.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks for confirming the IDs, and for the kind comments, Guy
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely fantastic shots Dilettante :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm off to Guarda in Portugal in a few weeks time - fingers crossed some of those beauties will be hanging around :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Tremendous, dilettante. Portugal isn't the best place in Europe to see a wide range of butterflies but it sure knocks spots off the UK, as your images show.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

25/26th August 2019

Just a few photos from the very hot bank holiday weekend, mostly taken at home

I was pleased to get this Small Heath picture while walking the dog yesterday. Normally I find they hide in the grass with their eye spots hidden, so it was good to get this one with a reasonably clear background and eye spot on show. There are quite a lot of these around in my local patch at the moment.

Small Heath (Sony RX100M3 + Raynox)

Like everyone else in the country, it seems, we headed to the coast on Sunday, and eventually managed to get parked at Dunwich Heath. As we headed to the beach, this Grayling flew past. I don't often see Graylings, but this one had a very gliding flight, which I wouldn't associate with them. I thought it was a Painted Lady at first.

Grayling, Dunwich Heath, Suffolk (Sony RX100M3 + Raynox)

Back on my local dog walk this morning I was pleased with this portrait of a lady. There were many about, some on their last legs/wings, but this one looked in good condition

Painted Lady (Sony A77 + Tamron 180/3.5)

Since I had my big camera and plenty of time, I thought I'd get some pictures of the whites which I normally ignore:

Samll White (Sony A77 + Tamron 180/3.5)

Green-veined White (Sony A77 + Tamron 180/3.5)

It was also good to see a few Brown Argus, and lots of Common Blues. It was a bit hot for them to be basking even at 8:30am, so no great photos but it was lovely to watch them.

Common Blue male (Sony A77 + Tamron 180/3.5)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another great set of shots Dilettante :D especially like the Grayling - it's unusual for me to see them on anything but a tree/stone/heather :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely images as ever, dilettante, especially the Small White, where the underside colours have come out perfectly.

Good to hear your Small Heaths are doing well. Wish the same could be said for them in my part of the UK. :(
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

24-Apr-2021

I'm surprised to see I didn't post anything to my diary last year. For obvious reasons I wasn't going anywhere much, but still a poor effort!

After a slow start to the season, I went looking for Green Hairstreaks on Devil's Dyke, Cambs this afternoon, and wasn't disappointed - saw 5 or 6 in total. Nice to catch them fresh.

Also good to see my first Speckled Wood of the year at last, and only my second Orange-Tip. Surprisingly, I've yet to see a Holly Blue.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots - how did you get the Specklie to pose so beautifully - all the ones I see just give me the run around :lol: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see you return, dilettante, with those wonderful, pin sharp images.

Hopefully this year you'll be able to clock up more mileage. :)
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel and David M. It was good conditions that day - bright, not too breezy and cool enough that the butterflies weren't too flighty.
dilettante

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Weds 26th May 2021

Being able to visit family for the first time in a long while, I was in Hampshire for a couple of days and a trip to Noar Hill was duly arranged. The weather was improving over recent days, but still quite cool and breezy. As we came through the gate, I saw my first Duke, so assumed good things were in store. Unfortunately, that was the last for a while, and we only saw three or four in total.

Dingy Skippers were a bit more in evidence

And this Holly Blue was one of three seen - amazingly, my first of the year, having not seen any in my home county, Cambridgeshire.

Also three or four Small Heaths

plus plenty of Brimstones, a few Orange-Tips and GVWhites.

So, still waiting for the season to pick up. Fingers crossed for the next few days which are looking more promising.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic photos Dilettante :D Definitely a case of quality rather than quantity 8) which reflects the year so far - it's been a funny old one and reports from Noar Hill haven't been great :? but at least you got one or four :wink:

Wurzel
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Wurzel. Noar Hill is always a joy to visit anyway.
This week I'm in Norfolk and had a similarly underwhelming search for Swallowtails. I had one good fly-past sighting yesterday at Strumpshaw, but no photos. And an even more fleeting glimpse at Hickling Broad. I may get a chance to try again later this week after a few days of good weather.
Last edited by dilettante on Mon May 31, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good luck with the Swallowtails :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:21 pm...plus plenty of Brimstones, a few Orange-Tips and GVWhites..
Shows how late the season is if there are plenty of Brimstones in late May!

Glad you caught up with the Dukes, and I'm sure given the extended warm spell you'll grab a Swallowtail or two. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”