Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Goldie M

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glad to see you have had your first butterfly Goldie :D

We didn't see any snow in the end, quite a bit of hail though.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, we missed the Snow has well but lots of rain, it did help my Boules Mauve though it's springing back to life. :D

I set off on Monday for Brockholes CP ,the weather was glorious and in the woods there I spotted Nut Thatch, and Pheasants plus many more birds, the Blue Bells were poking their heads out nearly ready to bloom so it won't belong before the Orange Tips appear. :D

I also saw my first Comma sitting on a leaf has though it owned the Woods :D Peacocks also were every where but no Small Torts appeared, it was only when I returned home that I spotted what I thought was a courting couple on the corner of my Neighbours house but on investigating found it was a Peacock and a Small Tort :D The Small Tort was touching the Peacock on it's wings, mistaken Identity I think :D

Monday was also very good and I managed more shots of the Small Torts on the front Garden, :D today we seem to be back in the gloom but at least I'm off to a good start now. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Front garden
Front garden
Front Garden
Front Garden
Front Garden
Front Garden
Brockholes CP
Brockholes CP
IMG_3222.jpeg
IMG_3220.jpeg
IMG_3183.jpeg
IMG_3179.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I love the Small Tortoiseshell/Peacock pair, Goldie. :) They do seem to get confused sometimes, though it always seems to be a male Tortie that is trying his luck with a female Peacock rather than the other way round.

Let's hope they can all hide away again safely from the really cold weather that hits on Monday, and that your local Orange Tips stay in their cosy chrysalises until it gets warm again.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of images Goldie especially the 'odd couple' :wink: :D It feels good to be off the mark doesn't it :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am...The Small Tort was touching the Peacock on it's wings, mistaken Identity I think
That's a lovely shot of this 'odd couple' against the white background, Goldie. So good to see you sharing in the action. :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, It was the first time I'd seen such an odd couple :D I went to Hall-Lee-Brook CP my( local CP ) yesterday and saw about 7or 8 Small Torts, plus Comma's, this time though the Small Torts were chasing off a lone Peacock :D

It's certainly great to be out and about Wurzel, I've been under the weather since December :roll: Had to have stitches in my arm and they went funny on me ( Skin Cancer) not serious just damned annoying, but it kept me in quite a lot and I wasn't too happy, now I'm okay, stitches out and raring to go :D
Reading Pauline's post we seem to make a good pair :lol:

Hi! David, I was pleased to see the pair, I like some thing different, I've had the Small Torts in my Garden as well so that's been an added bonus, I hope they find shelter on Monday :D

Lot's to see yesterday even though it was much cooler, I found a Comma enjoying the wet mud :D plus the Small Torts, and in my Garden a single ST on my Heather, it was great . :D Goldie :D
Attachments
P1080663.jpeg
FD526CA0-D13C-40E2-B633-40380727EAD1.jpeg
15E9EB92-1AED-41FC-91D1-C65461626B64.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Having seen nothing for a while because of the snow and frost it was a treat to go out in the Sun today, ( Or, so I thought ) after taking shots of a very nice Peacock and some Small Torts, also a Comma, I saw a Large White, which was in the distance but at least they're on the move, I was just about to follow this Orange Tip when I walked passed a boy and his Dog, the dog pounced at my leg and bit it, just another day in A&E having yet another Jab. :roll:

I think like us the Dogs are frustrated :D I'm just wondering what sort of accident the Gods will send me next :lol: I'm determined to go out again tomorrow but maybe not to Hall-Lee-Brook, I'm sort off put off there now :D

Anyway I was able to gat a few shots in even if I'mm back with the Peacock, Comma's and Small Torts again, they're the only ones at present to pose for me :lol: Oh! I did see a Speckie in my Garden, maybe I should stay home :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
6A999E32-40EC-4810-AB2A-4F3D7CF98254.jpeg
788924EB-C485-4C44-9786-3D8B4F292380.jpeg
FFDD284D-8FF2-46DD-B7AE-81295F8648FC.jpeg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Some lovely photos on this page that I had not seen until now Goldie - the odd couple, the robin and the Small Tortoiseshell in the heather being particularly nice.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your post otep, When I see Robins I just can't resist getting a shot of them :D It's a Grizzled Skipper I really want a shot of though, they've alluded me up to now. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:38 pm..I was just about to follow this Orange Tip when I walked passed a boy and his Dog, the dog pounced at my leg and bit it, just another day in A&E having yet another Jab. :roll:

I think like us the Dogs are frustrated :D I'm just wondering what sort of accident the Gods will send me next :lol: I'm determined to go out again tomorrow but maybe not to Hall-Lee-Brook, I'm sort off put off there now
I admire your tolerance, Goldie. Had that been me I'm sure I'd be up on an assault charge.

Don't let it beat you. Go where you like, when you like.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, I was upset at the time but also I felt sorry for the boy especially when he said " she's never done that before" poor lad couldn't understand why his dog had done it, he was also frightened thinking his dog would have to be put down. I never thought Scottie dogs could be vicious :roll: :roll:

His mother turned up with plasters when he rang her, very apologetic , she rang me later, she'd called the Vet and he said the Dog could be in pain or some thing wrong if it'd never done it before, I do hope every thing turns out okay, I've had three dogs in my life and none were ever bad tempered, just the opposite.

I won't be going back until I get the bandage off but with the weather like it is at Present I think my Garden may turn up some surprises :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

What a shocking incident with the dog, Goldie - I hope you recover soon. It really knocks your confidence when things like that happen, but I hope it won't be long before you are out exploring again. :)

In my view all dogs should be on leads except in designated exercise areas: I've experienced too many examples of aggressive unrestrained dogs to feel otherwise these days unfortunately. One of my local Country Parks operates this system and it works very well.

And you've seen one more Speckled Wood than I have this year! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, thanks for your post, the Irony with the dog was, it was on a lead and I was just walking passed them :roll: That's why the Boy couldn't understand why!!
I got a knock on the door yesterday though and it was the Boys mother with a bunch of flowers and a box of Chocolates :D I said to her " may be it was worth a bite after all", :lol:
She was very upset, she's bought a muzzle for the dog, which is a good idea given the circumstances.

I decided to stay home today and what I said about the Garden turning up surprises , well, it did just that, my first Small White turned up :D I also watched the funeral, very sad, hope fully I'll get out on Monday, I've to stay bandaged up till then :roll: :D
I think two SW arrived, but I'm not sure, it could have been the same one because there was a space of about ten min's between the two the second one enjoyed the petal of a Daffodil until the Sun returned :D the first seemed to be taking moisture . Hope fully I'll get a shot of an Orange Tip before long :D
Goldie :D
Attachments
179CA4C7-6919-413B-9B0E-C20E8D7E3477.jpeg
54AE6A8B-A917-448B-95C9-F83E5A8E0B12.jpeg
D2ADCB31-274A-4D08-A047-979562C21AFF.jpeg
8B6514B5-AEDF-4AB5-AF8B-40157320B179.jpeg
393B50D4-C9F5-454B-BB93-D2C52844CB27.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie,

Sorry to hear about your incident with the dog. I am usually the first to complain about out of control dogs but in this case it was on a lead and the boy and his mother both seem to be well upset over it, bringing you flowers and chocolates was a lovely thoughtful gesture.

That is definitely two different Small Whites in you photos, both males but one with a clear forewing spot and one without.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Hope you are OK Goldie, a nasty incident. At least enjoy the chocolates :D !.
Good to see your Small Tortoishells, only one for me so far.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

It does sound as if the dog's owner was mortified about what happened and the gifts were a lovely way of apologising to you. And staying home brought you two terrific examples of different Small Whites. Hard enough to find any that stay still long enough for a photo, but you had two! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks for your posts Neil, Trevor and Dave, I'd not noticed one had a spot missing Neil :roll: I was just too pleased to see a Small White :lol: Yes the family were very nice and very upset about their dog , in fact we're all wondering what the Vet will say, I hope every thing will be alright for them and the dogs not ill.

I think I was too full of chocolates Trevor to notice the difference in the SW's :D There was quite a goodly number of Small Torts at HLB CP, but after the incident I missed quite a lot of Butterflies , LW, Speckies and OT's that was more annoying than the actual bite :roll: still, lots of time to see some more:D

Hi! Dave, yes the family are really worried about their Dog, I would be to if it was my dog, the boys mother is going to ring me on Monday after she's been to the vet's.
I think I can thank the neighbours Dave for the fact the Butterflies stayed in my Garden, their Gardens are mainly just grass and very little else :D I think they were just glad to find some vegetation :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the canine attack Goldie - hopefully the choccies made up for it and it sounds like the owner was actually responsible if she's got a muzzle for the dog now. :?
Some cracking shots in those last few posts. The first Small White, the one lacking the fore wing spot looks good for an aberrant, either ab.obseleta or ab.immaculata? :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some lovely Small White images there, Goldie. Wish they would sit still like that for me. :(

Hope you are sufficiently recovered to get out this week. Looks like the weather's finally changing.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, I should be in Kent soon, so I've been told to keep out of trouble :lol: and to stay in the Garden til then :lol:

I had to go to see the District Nurse today and she was really fed up, she said they'd had loads of people in with Dog bites, she said people are getting dogs because of shut down and have no Idea how to look after them and train them :roll: I told her about the flowers and chocolates, she said a new pair of Jeans would have been a better offer :D

Thanks for your info about the ab's wurzel I really missed seeing the difference with the spots.

Thanks David, the clouds did help, Both Whites arrived in the garden just as the cloud went over the Sun, so decided to sit it out :D Which suited me :D

Yesterday was mostly high cloud that shut the Sun out at times ,today however , it was fantastic, I expected lots of Butterflies, what I was able to shoot was one Peacock :D not that I didn't see butterflies, I saw Small Torts, Small/Large whites even a female Orange Tip, all whizzed through the Garden :roll:
Yesterday I also saw a Small Tort, it was early morning in the front Garden, then late afternoon a rather worn Peacock arrived, at least I'm getting them in the garden now which is a plus, I'm staying safe, I want to be fit for further adventures. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Todays Peacock
Todays Peacock
IMG_3322.jpeg
Yesterday's
Yesterday's

Return to “Personal Diaries”