February 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: February 2021

Post by David M »

Saturday 27th - my first Brimstone of the year, although sadly no chance of an image as he was flying through the trees. Saw another later in the day at Dan-y-Graig cemetery in Swansea, as well as two Small Tortoiseshells, one of which was basking on a gravestone:
1.ST2702(1).jpg
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Neil Hulme wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:24 am I agree with you, aeshna5. Here's my text from The Butterflies of Sussex:

"Mid Winter Migrations

On rare occasions the Painted Lady will defy all logic, by arriving on our shores in mid winter. One such event occurred during the current atlas recording period, starting with an individual which settled on laundry suspended from a washing-line in a Goring-by-Sea garden, on Boxing Day 2012. On New Year’s Day 2013 another was seen sunning itself on chalk boulders at Cow Gap (Beachy Head).

More were observed at Pagham Harbour and Shoreham Fort, on 4 and 11 January 2013 respectively. On 5 January Graeme Lyons reported from Woods Mill (Henfield): “… a surprise was a Painted Lady behaving like it was on migration; very fast and very straight”. The previous mid winter influx took place in late December 1987."

Before the 2021 butterflies actually arrived, Matthew Oates emailed me to say that he thought we'd see a few come up with the warm air. Judging by the amount of Saharan dust on my car, it must have been quite an airflow!

As an aside, everyone should keep their eyes peeled for Large Tortoiseshell. Over the last few days they've been waking up at Portland (five yesterday), Cosham (Hants) and Highdown (West Sussex); I'm sure there will be more to come, particularly along the South Coast and around to Suffolk.

BWs, Neil
That's really interesting, Neil. After 50 years watching butterflies I shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore, but I still am, all the time. :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
The Doc

Post by The Doc »

My first butterfly of 2021 was a Small Tortoiseshell seen in Lostock Green, Northwich, Cheshire on Feb 25th. I've seen a sighting on here posted from south Derbyshire by Otep and the Lincs ones from Phil, but I may just be the furthest north for those who have reported so far?
Attachments
Small Tortoiseshell PB best 0464aa.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The Doc wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:09 pm My first butterfly of 2021 was a Small Tortoiseshell seen in Lostock Green, Northwich, Cheshire on Feb 25th. I've seen a sighting on here posted from south Derbyshire by Otep and the Lincs ones from Phil, but I may just be the furthest north for those who have reported so far?
Hi Doc,

I have seen a couple of Small Tortoiseshells reported from Lancashire over the weekend.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 pmI have seen a couple of Small Tortoiseshells reported from Lancashire over the weekend.
Also, Janet (Turnbull) reported a butterfly from Sale, near Manchester, the other day.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 28th - three more Brimstones, a Small Tortoiseshell and a Comma at Dan-y-Graig cemetery in Swansea. I then visited a coastal site at Crymlyn Burrows, where a further Tortoiseshell was seen, as well as my first grounded Brimstone of the year. :)
1.rhamni(1).jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:28 pm
Neil Freeman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:51 pmI have seen a couple of Small Tortoiseshells reported from Lancashire over the weekend.
Also, Janet (Turnbull) reported a butterfly from Sale, near Manchester, the other day.
Plus a few reports from Scotland now too.

Cheers,

Neil.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

First Peacock sighting yesterday and a glimpse of Brimstones passing through...
Attachments
4E81E930-BB1E-45BB-8E0F-2ACC2404D493.jpeg

Return to “Sightings”