Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, I managed time in the Garden yesterday, no Snow any where for the first time in ages, it was really mild and great to just get out for a while with out freezing. :D
Snow is forecast for Sat/Sun though, February next week, getting nearer to Spring now, the Wood Pigeons are starting already mating, they must know more than we do, unless, the mild weather the last couple of days as knocked their clock out :lol: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

We've had a couple of dry days which makes a real change, :D the sun was shining and the temperature was good, it felt like Spring, even the Robin was singing :D I didn't go very far but I could have sworn I saw a flutter in the distance, It was enough for me to get the camera out finally and keep it handy :D
Daff's are nearly out in my garden and pots , it was enough to cheer me up for the day, Spring is definitely on the way :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great when Spring starts to happen and you get that sudden rush of excitement from a flappy fluttering object in the distance :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It’s a great time Goldie, full of excitement and anticipation :D .
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel and essex for your post, It's great isn't it thinking we may get lots more freedom this year, roll on :D

Looking to the future I was just out side taking shots of the Moon, can't make out for sure if this one is called Slow Moon or Snow Moon :D I completely missed what was said :D but being has I'm feeling the Spring fever :) I took some shots, putting the camera into Shutter Priority 1/400 ( it's taken me long enough to find that out) but I finally did :D and my last few shots of the Moon I've been happy with.

Take care every one, don't go catching anything at this point in time :D Goldie :D
Attachments
3A103C1B-D21A-47AB-9047-665236C1A986.jpeg
3F92DC21-BB3E-4671-B618-40D7C2C6688D.jpeg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely :D .
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. It’s glorious tonight!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I took a picture of ot earlier tonight as well :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw your Moon shot Bugboy, looks like we were all out last night :D

Thanks Trevor, they said it had to be at it's fullest at 8.30am in the Morning but I'd rather see it at night :D

It certainly was essex and today was a lovely day too :D

I walked to our local park this morning and got this shot of the Crocus, inspite of the frosty nights they're hanging in there. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
3F5C5D22-1125-4132-A3BA-60AC2DD65363.jpeg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You did well with your Snow Moon shot, Goldie. Full Moon is not a good time for capturing any surface details, because the light is flat with no shadows. It's better towards half moon, when the various craters and ridges cast shadows that are much more visible in photos. The moon is also surprisingly bright - think sunlit sunny beach! You could try using 'spot metering' or just reduce the exposure by a stop or so from the automatic setting. It's worth taking photos at different phases of the Moon, as the shadows bring out different features.

Isn't it amazing what difference a week makes to the weather! We had a walk in our local Arboretum and it was wonderful too see all the flowers and the first Butterflies of the season. Let's hope it continues and we gain enough freedom to be able to enjoy them :)

Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The patch of Crocci is a fantastic sight Goldie - this Spring feels like it's been a long time coming! :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You've nailed that moon again, Goldie. If you were my neighbour I'd be coming to you for advice! :)

Lovely crocuses too. A few near me are already going over, but the daffs are out in earnest and my hyacinths have started flowering so it's all systems go.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice to hear from you Mike, has you know I always like advice :D I'll try out your suggestions but don't be surprised if I end up with the flat full Moon again :D
I have taken shots of the half Moon, not many, I always go for the full Moon usually, Just because I love to see it so bright lighting up my garden :D

Hi! Wurzel, it's great seeing the the Spring flowers, it's been really cold here in the mornings though but when the Sun's out it's great as the day progresses
trouble is , with all the Snow we've had and hard frosts the Crocus and just a few Daff's are the only flowers in the garden at present, so no Butterflies seen up to now, not even when I've had a walk, it's great to know they're out there from the pictures posted :D

Hi! David, glad you like my Moon, :D if you were my neighbour we'd probably see more Butterflies by shouting over the garden fence if one appeared, never mind the Moon :) :) Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! everybody, :D I've not seen one butterfly in my garden yet and except for a few daffodils etc ,the garden is slow to come to life this year the weather here has been cold, in a way I've not been too bothered because I've been unable health wise to track out but hope fully another couple of weeks or maybe even this week I'll get out for some fresh air and exercise ( that's if my legs will let me ) :D

The only thing to post from the garden that looks good so far is the shot of the Daffs, I recently bought a second hand camera with the help of Pauline, a Panasonic DMC- FZ38 and took the shot of the Daff's , I needed a much lighter camera so hope fully this will fit the bill if I wander too far :D

Love all your photos of the Peacocks etc, I'm still hoping to see a Small Tortoiseshell in the Garden, I've had to buy three new Boules mauve the weather we've had killed the plants already in the garden so these new ones will have to go into pots outside for a while, I hope they can still attract the Butterflies :D

They've forecast snow for some this week-end I just hope we miss that my Tulips have just got nice buds. Goldie :D
Attachments
1A19B358-F36F-420D-BCE7-CD806A51B743.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sorry to hear you have lost your Bowles Mauve plants Goldie. The frosts have killed a couple of mine too but I have one plant that looks like it may just survive. My Mom has a couple of younger plants in her garden that are in a more sheltered spot so with a bit of luck I can take some cuttings from them later in the year.

I have not had any butterflies in my garden yet either although I have been fortunate to find a few by my local park which I can walk to.

Possible snow above 200 metres forecast here too at the weekend...and parts of Solihull are around that altitude.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear about the Boules Mauve Goldie :( It was a right magnet for the butterflies - do think you'll be able to get replacements up and running once we start opening up or do they take a while to settle in? Hoping some butterflies wing their way to you soon :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for your posts Neil and Wurzel,

You're right about the Snow Neil, I'm just hoping we miss it. I think I've one Boules Mauve hope fully that may pull through depends on the weather in the next few day's. If there's plenty of rain after the cold it might just do the trick :D

Hi! Wurzel, I went to the Garden centre and bought three new plants which are safe in the Green House at present, I may have to put them in pot's for a while but they soon grow and hope fully the Buddleia will be okay they look quite heathy , I did see a Peacock today on my Heather in the back garden,
poor thing looked frozen, it kept it's wings closed until it flew off. It's the best shot I could get I'm afraid , I was trying out the new camera, so, mistakes made in a hurry :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Peacock 25th March (1).jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see that Peacock, Goldie. Not so good news about the bowles mauve though. :(

That said, with a couple of warm, sunny days coming up, they should grow like triffids in your greenhouse. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Peacock - I had one do the same yesterday - it sat there closed up for a good half an hour - unfortunately it was in someone else's garden :roll: It can't be long now til things actually start going properly :?

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David and Wurzel, I've been busy today and couldn't get in the garden but tomorrow I plan on going to Brockholes CP where I'm hoping to see more Butterflies, they've just opened today, it was great to see the Peacock, then again, it's always great to see your first Butterfly of a New Year!! :D
Lets hope I get some shots :D Goldie :D PS Boules Mauve doing great in the green House. :D :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”