White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

So the Weather forecasts for this weekend seemed to suggest that the 2021 season would be kicking off but as the week rolled on those forecasts became steadily worse for most of us in the West! Oh well at least there are a couple of weeks left of the ‘Favourites’ – in fact this is the penultimate week so make sure that you’ve got your Overall Favourite ready!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Padfield »

I spent a lot of time on w-album in 2020, so have a lot of photos to choose from. But I think this is my favourite:

If you can't see the white-letter hairstreak, that's why it's my favourite! :D

It was taken on 25th April in my local meadow, where there are a few Siberian elms.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A new species for me after searching, in vain, for the last couple of years since switching from birding to butterflies.
The 'go to' place near me used to be Green Lane Wood, Wiltshire, where Elms in the car park used to hold a few annually.

The Elms gradually died off from disease and it appeared that the hairstreaks had disappeared with no records at Green Lane over the past couple of years. This year the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust, who own the wood, removed all the dead Elms from the car park so I figured there would be no hope of seeing any White Letters at this site.

it's my local patch and I always keep an eye out, with little optimism, whilst searching for Purple Hairstreaks so it was a great surprise, and delight, to find a lovely fresh specimen on the 23rd June this year.

I found what I presume was the same individual on the 11th July on the exact spot as the first sighting.

Amazingly I found another one literally 5 minutes walk from my house on Sandridge Common on 18th July whilst walking the dog. A new location for the species in Wiltshire. Unfortunately I only had my mobile phone to capture a picture.
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
23rd June
11th July The same individual I think!
11th July The same individual I think!
18th July Sandridge Common. A new location for Wiltshire
18th July Sandridge Common. A new location for Wiltshire
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Stevie. I think your individual from 11th July is a different one from the one on 23rd June. There are several differences in the markings which I don't think can be down to wear and tear: the costal streak on the 23rd June individual, for example, as well as less obvious differences in the individual sections of the streak. I could be wrong, but I think you can log at least two individuals (females) from that site.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Padfield wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:53 pm Hi Stevie. I think your individual from 11th July is a different one from the one on 23rd June. There are several differences in the markings which I don't think can be down to wear and tear: the costal streak on the 23rd June individual, for example, as well as less obvious differences in the individual sections of the streak. I could be wrong, but I think you can log at least two individuals (females) from that site.

Guy
That's excellent news for the site Guy. I'll be out looking again this year. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Stevieb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:28 pm
Padfield wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:53 pm Hi Stevie. I think your individual from 11th July is a different one from the one on 23rd June. There are several differences in the markings which I don't think can be down to wear and tear: the costal streak on the 23rd June individual, for example, as well as less obvious differences in the individual sections of the streak. I could be wrong, but I think you can log at least two individuals (females) from that site.

Guy
That's excellent news for the site Guy. I'll be out looking again this year. :D
I was looking at these on my phone at work today and came to the same conclusion as Guy. Was going to wait until I looked at them properly on my computer before commenting but Guy beat me to it :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

This species, along with Purple Hairstreak, is probably the most frustrating in my area of the country. There IS a strong colony at Loughor, near Llanelli, but they NEVER descend and every year I have to resort to long distance shots of them high up in the trees :(
01.WLH.jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Can they be tempted lower by coating leaves in sugar solution?
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:01 pmCan they be tempted lower by coating leaves in sugar solution?
Never tried that with WLHs, Chris. If they are anything like Black Hairstreaks then yes, they probably would be tempted.

We have some elms in the woodland on my estate so I really must spend some time checking them this year.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

This is a special one for me. Before 2020, the last White-letter Hairstreak I had seen was 9 long years ago, back when I lived in west London. I was determined to find them again last year and after several early morning visits to a local site where they can reliably be seen, I struck gold.

Having seen one in the treetops and being pleased with that, as I was walking back towards my car, I found this pristine female nectaring on an umbellifer, right in front of me.
White-letter Hairstreak, female, Yew Hill, Winchester, Hampshire, 3rd July 2020
White-letter Hairstreak, female, Yew Hill, Winchester, Hampshire, 3rd July 2020
Then would you know it, I chanced upon another doing the same a few days later at a wood in Basingstoke. Bloody brilliant :D
White-letter Hairstreak, female, Basing Wood, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 10th July 2020
White-letter Hairstreak, female, Basing Wood, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 10th July 2020
White-letter Hairstreak, female, hindwing detail, Basing Wood, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 10th July 2020
White-letter Hairstreak, female, hindwing detail, Basing Wood, Basingstoke, Hampshire, 10th July 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Although I came across White-letter Hairstreak at a number of sites in 2020, I have a very reliable site a few miles from home where a large patch of brambles in a clearing has yet to let me down. The patch is getting rather large and spreading and the challenge is how to approach it without getting snagged, causing the patch to shake and spook the butterflies. It all adds to the fun.
Attachments
White-letter Hairstreak, Knapwell, 1 July
White-letter Hairstreak, Knapwell, 1 July
David M

Post by David M »

Lee Hurrell wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:50 pm...Having seen one in the treetops and being pleased with that, as I was walking back towards my car, I found this pristine female nectaring on an umbellifer, right in front of me.
Ah! The stuff of dreams, Lee. :mrgreen:

Return to “White-letter Hairstreak”