February 2021

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

February 2021

Post by David M »

Here comes that short 'bridge' month, taking us from the dark, dreary days of winter to early spring with all its colour and promise. :)

I'm sure that for some there'll be a butterfly or two...
badgerbob

Re: February 2021

Post by badgerbob »

A great morning at High and Over today with my first butterflies of the year when I had 2 Peacock flying around, both were different to the one I had on December 31st

Better still though, was my largest ever count of Wall Brown larvae with 50 found quite quickly, beating my previous highest count from a couple of years ago when I counted 40 on two different occasions.

Last year my highest count was only 11 and that was searching much harder than I did today!!
Feeding Wall Brown larvae 5/2/2021.
Peacock Seaford 5/2/2021.
Peacock Seaford 5/2/2021.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

In todays sun i checked the marked Glanville Fritillary webs at Hutchinsons Bank, most are now active, with larvae easily found sunning themselves on dead leaves etc. The webs in the favoured location in the cutting are more in shade at this time of year, but the larvae are still visible, in the 2nd picture.
DSC_0182ccs.JPG
DSC_0192ccs.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

badgerbob wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:26 pmA great morning at High and Over today with my first butterflies of the year when I had 2 Peacock flying around, both were different to the one I had on December 31st
Great news regarding the Wall Brown larvae, Bob. I know you make a special effort every year to check if they're thriving, so it's good to know that this year they are. :)

Nice to see an active 2021 adult butterfly on here too. I suspect these Peacocks will regret abandoning their hibernation roosts when tomorrow's cold air moves in. Still, we have lift-off in some areas at least.
millerd

Post by millerd »

MrSp0ck wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:08 pm In todays sun i checked the marked Glanville Fritillary webs at Hutchinsons Bank, most are now active, with larvae easily found sunning themselves on dead leaves etc.
I hope they are able to hide themselves well away for the next few days, Martin - the forecast for that part of the world is none too good. It may not get above freezing for some while. :(

Dave
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Yes checked most webs are deep under the snow, so sheltered from the very cold wind and temps, also as its a North and East wind, the drop from New Addington protects the cutting to a great extent from the wind. I fear for the Other UK populations, even the Channel Islands have had cold temps, and this is colder than 2013 that nearly wiped it out last time. A few local measures are temp in place until Sunday too, so at least some will survive this time, more than the 3 that did in 2013. When the 6 on transect at Sand Point was the highest count that year.
David M

Post by David M »

Those that do survive, Mr Sp0ck, should thrive this next couple of weeks, with much milder temperatures forecast and even some 'balmy' February weather on the way for next weekend. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

No sign of any butterflies for me yet ,in my part of Kent ,although several Peacock ,have been reported from various parts of Romney marsh .,I,ve been watching an overwintering Common Plume moth ,thats still present ,since at least the first week of December ,i,ve been tempted to move it ,especially when its hibernation site (the back garden fence ) was covered in snow .............but i thought better of it ,and let it be, but its still there ,and looks to be in fine fettle ...........a tough little cookie !
Today i had a very short visit to our local lake ,mainly too see if the local Egyptian Geese were about ,a male has been around for the last three weeks ,but the female was absent,and i suspected that she may be sitting eggs on one of the islands ,and happily .i can report that the pair of geese
were both present today ,along with 9 Goslings ! I think that this is probably their fourth season ,and they generally have two broods here .
Excuse the pics ............they were taken at some distance ,with a standard lense.
Also ,on the same lake a pair of Great crested Grebe ,also sitting.
Regards Allan.W.
P1240392.JPG
P1240400.JPG
P1240404.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Spring's officially arrived in Epping Forest, remarkable to think the place was frozen solid just 1 week ago!
IMG_0072.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

An excersise walk over Hayes Common this morning produced a Red Admiral and a male Brimstone , within 2 minutes of each other .
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Brimstones on the wing in Woodbridge, Suffolk, too:

Flower buds are opening on the local elms, and while the white-letter hairstreak eggs haven't hatched yet, I think they will soon. Last year the flowers were a little earlier and I found a hatched egg on 21st Feb.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see those yellow flashes of spring promise. :) Given the temperatures, I'm not surprised a few butterflies were tempted out even though a week ago it was sub-zero and snowing!!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

First butterfly for me today ,here in mid-Kent ,a male Brimstone on a mission ,along the main road opposite Ashford International station( Kent ) in bright sunshine ,with a temperature of 14 c . A bit later in the day ,I had a couple of hours ,cutting back scrub at a local Grizzled Skipper sight ,no butterflies ,but plenty of Badger activity ! also found several Bee Orchid rosettes .
Regards Allan.W.
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

And we’re off!
2 male Brimstones seen today in warm, sunny weather (finally).
No photos as they weren’t inclined to stop even for a second. Spring is here (I hope!)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

And so it begins. Three seen on our walk this afternoon. Bewley Common, Wiltshire.
25th Feb
25th Feb
25th Feb
25th Feb
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

The white-letter hairstreak egg a couple of posts above hatched today (I checked on my evening walk yesterday and it hadn't happened by then):

Other eggs on the same tree are still intact:

Search as I might, I couldn't find the caterpillar in the nearest open elm flower. I suspect it is deep inside:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see it all kicking off. Well done with those Peacocks, Stevie. :)
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Warm sunshine, stiffish breeze.... and this Comma feeding on Daphne odora is my first, hastily photographed butterfly of the year! (Yesterday)
Attachments
2CB0F7D0-C7E3-46BC-B11D-101223D98B6E.jpeg
Last edited by Deborah on Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

David M wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm Great to see it all kicking off. Well done with those Peacocks, Stevie. :)
Thanks David. Bodes well for the next couple of days too with the weather set to be sunny and warm down here.
David M

Post by David M »

Indeed it does. Several days of mild, mainly sunny weather should see things explode quite quickly.

I fully expect a glut of sightings by the early part of next week. :)

Return to “Sightings”