Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Trevor

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wishing you a Merry Christmas too Trevor and here's to hoping for a better 2021.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Have a cracking Christmas Trevor and may 2021 be excellent to you 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

For a change my look back on 2020 consists of lucky encounters that have resulted
in images which, for me, ' hit the spot '. Out of all the mediocre shots taken there
were a few this year that were just a bit special to me.

Starting with Spring.

Wishing all on UKB all the very best, and a prompt vaccination, for 2021!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1410862.JPG
P1400412.JPG
P1400915.JPG
P1400994.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

HAPPY NEW YEAR, to you Trevor, we missed out on lots of Butterflies last year ( doesn't last year sound good :D ) lets hope this one is better :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year Trevor :D I can't wait to be seeing similar sights to those featured in your cracking last set of shots :D 8)

Have a goood and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:49 pmWishing all on UKB all the very best, and a prompt vaccination, for 2021!
Can't really improve on that, Trevor. The only short to medium term way out of this is to get the vaccine. Those that refuse are only prolonging the misery for others as well as themselves.

Nice to know your snowdrops are out and the first daffs are blooming. These last few days have seen frost even in my neck of the woods so nothing much is likely to change until the mild weather returns. That said, a blast of cold at this time of year is rarely bad for nature and it's a while since we've experienced it so I'm not too perturbed by it all.

All the best for 2021. :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Goldie, Wurzel & David. Hope everyone on here is well!.

Continuing my favourite shots and encounters from 2020.

SUMMER.
Attachments
17/5. One of my favourite finds of 2020. A newly emerged female SPBF. when found she was taking her first flights.
17/5. One of my favourite finds of 2020. A newly emerged female SPBF. when found she was taking her first flights.
24/5. A fresh male SPBF opened up before me to bask in the early morning Sun. Park Corner Heath.
24/5. A fresh male SPBF opened up before me to bask in the early morning Sun. Park Corner Heath.
16/6. An early morning Silver Washed Fritillary fluttered down and perched at head height right where I was standing. Chiddingfold Forest.
16/6. An early morning Silver Washed Fritillary fluttered down and perched at head height right where I was standing. Chiddingfold Forest.
3/8. Of only six East Sussex Small Tortoiseshell seen, I was fortunate to stumble upon this fresh, vibrant specimen.
3/8. Of only six East Sussex Small Tortoiseshell seen, I was fortunate to stumble upon this fresh, vibrant specimen.
8/8 Shipton Belinger. A day out with Wurzel, and for me a rare encounter with male Brown Hairstreaks.
8/8 Shipton Belinger. A day out with Wurzel, and for me a rare encounter with male Brown Hairstreaks.
16/8 Adonis Blue displaying full ' electric blue ' on all four wings. Tilshead Wilts.
16/8 Adonis Blue displaying full ' electric blue ' on all four wings. Tilshead Wilts.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Whereas the Autumn of 2019 was a washout, when the weather put paid to any late sightings,
the Autumn of 2020 was one of the best I've known, with plentiful Long Tailed Blues and Clouded Yellows.
Even into October fresh Wall Browns and Common Blues were seen, mostly females.

So here are the best encounters of AUTUMN 2020.
Attachments
7/9. 2020 was a bumper year for the Long Tailed Blue at Whitehawk Hill.
7/9. 2020 was a bumper year for the Long Tailed Blue at Whitehawk Hill.
21/9. My favourite shot of the year. A fresh Clouded Yellow. I only had a few seconds to take this shot. Herstmonceux Castle grounds.
21/9. My favourite shot of the year. A fresh Clouded Yellow. I only had a few seconds to take this shot. Herstmonceux Castle grounds.
1/10 A stunning fresh female Common Blue, Herstmonceux Castle.
1/10 A stunning fresh female Common Blue, Herstmonceux Castle.
9/10 A very fresh female Wall Brown basking appropriately on a wall.
9/10 A very fresh female Wall Brown basking appropriately on a wall.
9/10 Worn male and fresh female Wall Browns nectar together. Herstmonceux Castle.
9/10 Worn male and fresh female Wall Browns nectar together. Herstmonceux Castle.
6/11 My last fresh butterfly, a female Holly Blue. Southwick.
6/11 My last fresh butterfly, a female Holly Blue. Southwick.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of images Trevor :D Really stuck choosing a"favourite" :mrgreen: but I'd probably go for that Cloudy - so fresh I don't reckon the paint was dry :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some beautifully evocative images there Trevor, we might just be able to count the weeks on our fingers before things start off again :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Some superb shots this year Trevor, on your PD and on Facebook. I missed many species for one reason or another so really good to see the efforts of others. No doubt cross paths for some spring species soon!
David M

Post by David M »

What a super, colourful and eclectic range of butterflies in those last couple of posts, Trevor. :)

The first SPBF is a beautiful specimen, but that rich, buttery hue of the Clouded Yellow, with the black upf margins just showing has to be the pick for me. No wonder it's your favourite of the year. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your shot of the Long Tailed Blue Trevor :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and the cloudy shot , roll on Spring :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone. Hope the images brightened things up in these awful times.

Anyway..............

A sign of Spring this afternoon. One of my special Snowdrops, G. Elwesii 'Comet'.
Said to have the largest flowers of any Snowdrop. I've had mine for years,
but nurseries are charging £20 per bulb for 'Comet' this season!.

Keep safe and well all, there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1250059.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Beautiful shot Trevor :D There was a brilliant program on Radio Four last week about a nurseryman that specialized in Snow Drops - some of the bulbs went for thousands of pounds and there's even a black market with gangs trespassing and digging them up by the ton :shock:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm....A sign of Spring this afternoon. One of my special Snowdrops, G. Elwesii 'Comet'.
Said to have the largest flowers of any Snowdrop.
Nice to see, Trevor, and a positive sign that spring isn't far away. I've seen a handful myself, but none quite so attractive as those.

That said, the daffs are only a week or so away from flowering round my way, so there may well be further colour in the landscape very shortly.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Just catching up with your "shots of the year" selection, Trevor. There are some crackers there, but that female Common Blue stands out for me (though managing both sexes of Wall in one shot comes a close second!). Not only is it a very blue example, but the actual shade is a beautiful deep almost turquoise one. :)

(I'm also thoroughly envious of the November Holly Blue... :wink: :) :mrgreen: )

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some fantastic shots of the year there Trevor :mrgreen:
It's posts like those that make me wish I lived closer to the south coast, especially when a good number of those photos were taken well after I had seen my last butterfly here. :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, lovely shots of your Snow Drops, my Snow Drops are showing has well, I've not a clue what they're called, I didn't realise there was so many different varieties, their covered in Snow at present but it never seems to deter them :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone. Time to indulge in a little nostalgia.
And better times from the past, and I am sure better times ahead.

A few days with His Majesty from 2016.
Attachments
P1250729.JPG
P1250802.JPG
P1250708.JPG
P1250872.JPG
P1250768.JPG
P1300168.JPG
P1250666.JPG
P1250807.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”