Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Wurzel

Post by bugboy »

Good effort with that male Southern Hawker, never manage to get them in focus when I attempt an in flight shot :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

I must agree with Bugboy, excellent results with those Dragonflies, :mrgreen:
and a great report. Keep'em coming!.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

trevor wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:33 pm I must agree with Bugboy, excellent results with those Dragonflies, :mrgreen:
Me too.

Cracking shots and great reports as always Wurzel :D .

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D Sorry to hear that your plans got wrecked :( Hopefully it'll be like lots of other things in that it'll get worse (as it is now) before it gets better :? I hope that you have a Merry Christmas none the less :D
Cheers Bugboy :D Cheers Trevor :D Cheers Neil :D The wonders of 'Sports mode' allowed me to get that shot...and also digital technology meaning that the four hundred crap shots can be binned almost immediately :wink: :lol:

Martin Down 17-08-2020

Today was a bit of an unusual day, I don’t really know what happened but I ended up making a morning visit to Martin Down and to make matters even less usual I started from the main car park! My plan was to end up at the flat sparsely turfed field behind the Butts but rather than taking the main track I headed right from the car park, diving down into the ‘bowl’ behind the Gorse boundary. There were plenty of butterflies about and I picked off Meadow Browns, Common Blues, Small Heath and whites as I sauntered down one side other bowl to the bottom. Here there were large clumps of Marjoram like pinky-purple stands of coral buffeted by the currents of a sea of green. Choosing a likely looking clump I stopped for a moment or two. First a Chalkhill went by and then a Common Blue stopped. It’s joined by an Adonis and then the Meadow Browns piled in, last in first out with them! As I wandered away the butterflies dispersed, taking off in unison. I was obviously in a Maritime mood as their sudden simultaneous flight brought to mind fish zipping away from the coral as a Shark passes by. Reminding myself to listen out for “dah, dah…dah dah…” I continued on.
17-08-2020 1.JPG
17-08-2020 2.JPG
17-08-2020 3.JPG
I worked up the other side of the bowl and then walked a short way along the top of the ramparts of the Dyke. A very blue female Common Blue catches my eye as does a Small Copper with absolutely huge badges. I watch as it flies down into the Dyke and so I follow suit but I lose it as it twists and turns among the multiple Meadow Browns and I also have to keep looking down to check my footing on the steep side of the Dyke. The little area I found myself in now was the one that was so productive for Marshies back in May and again the small section produced the goods. I had a quick look around and spied a Chalkhill, then a Common Blue, an Adonis announces itself by opening up and catching the sun in an ice cold blast of colour whilst a Bad Attitude is attacking everything in sight. The final butterfly added to the tally here is a Small Copper. Such variety was great to see but what was odd was that there were one of each and they were all males – had I stumbled onto a butterfly Boy’s Club?
17-08-2020 5.JPG
17-08-2020 6.JPG
17-08-2020 7.JPG
17-08-2020 8.JPG
17-08-2020 10.JPG
After telling the lads that they “needed to get out more” I climbed out of the Dyke and carried on along the path. The vegetation quickly changed form a lush green to a tar brown colour and my nostrils were assaulted by a strong whiff of creosote. I wasn’t sure if this was an accident or was some form of management but I quickly moved away noting a few Chalkhill and a lush female Brown Argus a little further on once the air had become fragrant, the stench of creosote abated and the more soothing colours of summer had reappeared. I’d reached the Butts and so I checked out the little field on the near side. A quick scan across meant that I could select my targets from the single Adonis, the two female and two male Chalkhills and the pair of Chalkhills in cop.
17-08-2020 11.JPG
17-08-2020 12.JPG
17-08-2020 13.JPG
17-08-2020 14.JPG
Leaving the lovers too it I wandered round to the field on the other side and as I round the foot of the Butt and looked out across the flat expanse it was a sight to behold. There were butterflies blimbling about all over the place. I could make out the larger Meadow Browns in flight but the moment they settled they vanished. There were more numerous Chalkhills; spectre like butterflies, their subtle blue colour making them look like the ghost butterflies of summers past. They too would land and disappear, hidden in plain sight. The Common Blues were less numerus and the Adonis fewer still but unlike the others the males would land and whilst their wings were open they could still be made out – semiprecious stones twinkling amid the beige. I spent what felt like nowhere near long enough here just walking backwards and forwards retracing my steps and cross-crossing the entire field multiple times as the butterflies alternatively sat or led me on in a dance. It was brilliant if a little dizzying.
17-08-2020 15.JPG
17-08-2020 16.JPG
17-08-2020 18.JPG
17-08-2020 19.JPG
17-08-2020 20.JPG
17-08-2020 21.JPG
All too soon I felt the call of home (the mobile buzzing in my pocket) and so I begrudgingly trudged back onto the main track. Round the Butt I was enticed to tarry in one of the little scallops by an Adonis. It sat at the edge of the path and as I moved closer it flew further back into the scallop drawing me in after it. There was also a female Chalkhill and a Small Copper amid plenty of Meadow Browns all of which further waylaid me. After another short while, as the temperatures rose and the butterflies started to act more and more silly as they warmed up, I pulled myself away. By virtue of putting one foot in front of the other I made it back to the car whilst ignoring the many Chalkhills on the way.
17-08-2020 22.JPG
17-08-2020 23.JPG
17-08-2020 24.JPG
A morning visit!
Start at the main car park – shock!
All the blues abound

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another brilliant selection from Martin Down, Wurzel. :) I almost invariably park at the main car park when I visit since the time many moons ago when I went over the road to Kitts Grave as well. I've never yet been disappointed! There are large areas of amazing downland whichever way you do it.

The Blue Badge Copper stands out for me amongst all those, plus the nice Common Blue female. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Over this year I've found the main car park area to be great for the Marshies and Blues and Sillens Lane is best for Holly Blues and Greenstreaks and also good for the Cloudy spot :wink: This year I kept ending up at Kitts Grave by way of Vernditch and it's a great little spot :D

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Shipton Bellinger 20-08-2020

The dreaded day had finally arrived – Results Day! Although this year I already knew the worst case scenario having sent in the grades that the pupils had proved themselves capable of. Most years I assuage the mild misery of this day by a stop-off at Shipton Bellinger on the way home, and so it was this time with the added bonus of it being a met-up with Philzoid. After the last buff envelope had been collected, the traffic at Tidworth negotiated and with the dying chords of Purgatory still ringing in my ears I stopped the car behind the main hedge.

As I walked round the corner I simultaneously spotted Philzoid and a Small Copper so we started chatting and catching up with each other’s business from the last couple of weeks. As we’re doing so Philzoid lets me know that there hadn’t been a sniff of a Brostreak in the hour he’d already been on site…then I spotted a female up high. She was too high for me really but at least it was a start.
20-08-2020 1.JPG
20-08-2020 2.JPG
Pleased that they’d started to show we made our way slowly down the hedge, picking up a few Blues, a Holly Blue and a Comma which was also up high. Strangely there weren’t any Gatekeepers? This would possibly have been a good thing had there been plenty of Brostreaks about – less to confuse them with, but their absence was a tad odd. We carried on working our way along the hedge and then onto the little enclosure. Finally our diligent examination of each and every likely looking leaf and slightly orange object came to fruition as there feeding down low was a Brostreak. It was a tatty male, very worn with its lack of scales giving it a washed out sandy grey appearance which after the glorious examples a fortnight or so previously was something of a disappointment. Still he posed nicely and so we both made some time for him. I was left wondering whether this was the same male that I’d seen here a month earlier with Little L?
20-08-2020 3.JPG
20-08-2020 4.JPG
20-08-2020 5.JPG
Also here were some Brimstones and the Gatekeepers started to crawl out of whatever hole they’d been hiding in. Things were still quiet though even round by the nettle bed where only a few Whites put in a lacklustre performance. There was a strange feeling about the place...not like ‘things are all over’ but more ‘things are about to kick off”… So we start back towards the main hedge with a possibly male jinking by and another high up Comma on the way only offering a mild distraction from our course. The feeling that things are just bidding their time before the grand finale grows and grows so much so that as we reach the main hedge I hear myself muttering “I think we’re about to start seeing butterflies…” We’re only about a ¼ of the way along when a chocolate and orange butterfly can be seen at the top of one of the small trees. At her altitude the slight breeze swings her around and about so I can’t get anything more than a blurry distant record shot. Then tired by the battering of the breeze she takes and flies deep into the hedge. We press on and suddenly things start to happen as another female turns up, lower down and laying eggs in the cover of the leaves.
20-08-2020 6.JPG
20-08-2020 7.JPG
A few more steps along the hedge and we came across yet another female which is in slightly better nick and a few steps on again yet another female. As a certain Law dictates she was the best behaved of the bunch but also in the worst condition. Philzoid weren’t complaining though as in several strides we’d picked up 4 different females and so we filled our memory cards with various posed shots. The more mature female exhibited the usual pattern of behaviour whereby after clambering along a twig in the shade and depositing a few eggs she flew/walked into the sun, opened up and basked for a bit. Sufficiently warmed she then set off back into the shade to lay a few more eggs.
20-08-2020 8.JPG
20-08-2020 10.JPG
20-08-2020 12.JPG
20-08-2020 13.JPG
By now we’d made it two thirds along the hedge and luckily we were a little sated of Brostreaks as from here on it got remarkably quiet again so we reverted to walking and talking until we reached the end/start of the hedge. There again was another female Brostreak, possibly the same as the first of the day? If this was to be our final one of the day then the best had definitely been saved as she was in cracking condition as she hung upside down from a twig. There’s something very satisfying about the tightly packed short hairs fading into the almost furry looking scales on a fresh Brostreak and the colour is second to none! Also here playing a little second fiddle was a Small Copper and a cracking pair of Brown Argus locked together in cop.
20-08-2020 14.JPG
20-08-2020 16.JPG
20-08-2020 17.JPG
20-08-2020 18.JPG
20-08-2020 19.JPG
As time continued to tick away we headed on, keeping to the track as it headed up the hill to the little scallops adding a few Specklies along the way. We checked out all of the scallops and the little enclosures and then worked back round to the top of the hill on the more open side. There weren’t any more Brostreaks (so the best had indeed been saved until last) but instead a Wall and an Adonis entertained us for a bit. On the walk back down the hill we ventured onto the other side of the hedge and there were plenty of Brown Argus and Common Blues about but to be honest, and I occasionally find this, I felt like I was just going through the motions. The excitement of earlier surrounded by all the Brostreaks had made me immune to further endorphins and so whilst I hoped for another stunning female Brostreak I wasn’t really paying an awful lot of attention to the other butterflies. This meant that the final stretches of the day were devoid of the multitude of shots.
All told it was a cracking day; a single male and 5 or 6 females isn’t to be sniffed at, especially as we hadn’t investigated any of the other spots where Brostreaks frequent. So it was with a certain amount of melancholy that I drove home after the final meet up of 2020…oh well next year things should be better Co-vid wise and there will be plenty of trips to make!
20-08-2020 20.JPG
20-08-2020 21.JPG
Last meet of the year
The ladies were out in force
Bodes well for next year!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year Everyone!

I just hope that 2021 is better than 2020...even slightly better would be great :? Fingers crossed...
0.0 Calendar 2021 cover.jpg
1 2021 Jan.jpg

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, you've certainly helped pass the time with your shots :D Happy New Year, :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I hope the New Year finds you healthy and hearty 8)

Shipton Bellinger 22-08-2020

I hoped to cram in one final trip to Shipton even though it was still earlier than some of my later visits in previous years. However you couldn’t have told that by looking out of the window on the morning of the trip…

Luckily the strong wind that was blowing moved the cloud along and so there was always the prospect of a little sun so when the 45mph gales didn’t materialise at lunchtime as forecast the trip was back on and I was soon rounding the corner form behind the hedge, eyes peeled for chocolate oranges. There was still a gusting wind (which the weather app helpfully informed me was 19 mph) but that was only affecting the less productive side of the hedge which was itself acting like a massive wind break so I continued optimistically despite the autumnal feel to the air. This optimism was short lived and my spirits were literally dampened by a heavy shower just as I reached the ‘good bit’ of hedge. I kept walking, head down and camera stashed under my pac-a-mac which had been residing in the boot for the last few seasons ready for just such an occasion. As the drops lessened and the drips dropped the butterflies started to appear despite the sun remaining stubbornly hidden. First out were the Meadow Browns and then a Holly Blue. When it was a fair it drier a Common Blue turned up and then a cracking Comma peered down at me from up on high.
22-08-2020 1.JPG
22-08-2020 2.JPG
22-08-2020 3.JPG
At the end of the hedge I followed the track round to the little enclosure picking up various whites, one of which stopped long enough for a few shots and there were also a few Browns. The sun remained hidden and with it the majority of the butterflies. On and round to the Nettle Bed, the site of so many easy sightings but which was now quiet and peaceful. Still the sun remained hidden. On up the little track, no sun still and no butterflies. As I walked along the stone track back towards the main hedge the sun appeared, clawing its way through the cloud, its arrival announced by blue skies and a sudden urge to squint. Once back at the Hedge I worked my way up, down and up again. There was the occasional Gatekeeper and less frequent Whites. A Comma showed well again, a Red Admiral dropped in and a lovely female Common Blue did her best to cheer me up after the lack of Brostreaks. I’d read somewhere that there can be a lull in proceedings during their flight so perhaps this was the case today?
22-08-2020 4.JPG
22-08-2020 5.JPG
22-08-2020 6.JPG
22-08-2020 7.JPG
22-08-2020 9.JPG
As things weren’t being forthcoming I decided to have a little bit of an explore to check out other areas of the site. First stop was the little field just to the left of the top of the hedge but it couldn’t hand me a Silver-spot, it was only able to muster a few Blues. Down the track I went and took the right-hand path of the double track, with time running down and my resolve going with it. There were only 10 I minutes or so left of the ‘Golden Hours’…A flash of bright orange from the gloom in the hedge stopped me in my tracks. There was a female Brostreak laying eggs. She climbed out form the sheltered and shaded art of the foliage and paused once out in the light. After the briefest of basks she was off, flying up high into the top of the canopy and became lost from sight. Brilliant – the hard graft had paid off! With the time now just past 3 of the clock I decided to head home on a high – barely noticing the Specklies and Whites on the return journey.
22-08-2020 10.JPG
22-08-2020 12.JPG
22-08-2020 13.JPG
The wind didn’t come
So Shipton bound for Brostreaks
Last trip’s a success!

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

A nice female Brostreak to round off your Shipton visits, Wurzel! :) There was a bit of an autumnal end-of-season feel creeping into that last selection...

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D You're right about the Autumnal feel Dave - it certainly came a bit earlier in 2020 :? My next trip was even more 'of the season' :? ...

Vernditch 30-08-2020

Despite the warmth from the sun when it showed through the cloud there was a definite Autumnal feel to the day possibly made stronger by our later arrival as today we weren’t lunching half way round merely having a hot chocolate and snack. As we set off up through the wood there was a cool breeze filtering through the trees and this combined with the shade made for a slight nip in the air. I was wondering if there would be any butterflies left, half expecting them to have been made torpid and moribund by the cooler weather in the evenings or been washed out by the deluges over the last couple of days. As it was there were a few Specklies still holding on and fitting about even in the shade.
30-08-2020 2.JPG
When we eventually reached the field a Common Blue passed by and the whites took great delight flying on the other side of the electric fence that’s ben recently put up. As we plunged in to the small wood my hopes of getting anything on the memory card other than Specklies were fading fast and were shattered further when an errant Adonis flew in one of the cleared areas – it paused for a fraction of a second, just long enough to see the chequers on the margins and the electric blue and then it was gone without even a record shot. Along the path that runs parallel to the Blandford Road I finally got something. First there was a Meadow Brown which sat still for a couple of shots before exploding off with a couple of its mates that I hadn’t seen as they were nestled down in the long grasses. Then there was a Small White which actually played ball as it seemed engrossed in nectaring.
30-08-2020 3.JPG
30-08-2020 4.JPG
During the completion of the circuit I picked up a few more species as now the Meadow Browns and Whites were flying warmed by the return of the sun. Whilst the others stuck to the top path I walked down the side of the tiny ‘Down’ and followed the track at the bottom which wove its way through the three small valleys. There were plenty of Whites – mainly Small but the occasional Large was easy to distinguish as it was at least twice the size of its smaller cousins and as most seemed to be males the blinding white forewings really shone out. As I stepped from valley 2 into valley 3 I almost trod on a Common Blue, well more like a Common Grey as it was a bit aged and so looked a little washed out.
30-08-2020 5.JPG
30-08-2020 7.JPG
30-08-2020 8.JPG
Then we were on the home stretch again accompanied by Specklies as we wandered through the dappled shade. The Autumnal feel was back with a vengeance as leaves fell from the trees and the early afternoon sun shone through the dense tree cover emerging in the distance glowing yellow. A Comma feeding on a Bramble was the last butterfly of the day for me partly because the sun had hidden behind the clouds once I’d finished getting my shots but also because I only had 4 shots left on the memory card – that’s cutting a bit fine so I ended up walking back with my eyes closed in the most part!
30-08-2020 9.JPG
Mellow soft lighting
The butterflies bedding down
Autumn is coming…

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Kingston Lacey 31-08-2020

It was a strange weather day and had a feeling of being on the cusp. One minute the sun was shining and it was really hot, then the cloud would swallow the sun, the temperatures would drop and people would be reaching for their jumpers. It felt as if Autumn was knocking on the door and wanting to come in. All of this mild meteorological mayhem was happening set against the backdrop of a visit to Kingston Lacey the first in a long time with my folks and only our third visit to a National Trust site since the coming and going of Lockdown.

We arrived in time for an early lunch and when our allotted time slot arrived we were ushered in and through the ticket office and then we were pretty much let loose. So instead of having our lunch on the main lawn we made our way down the hill of the driveway and partook one of the proffered picnic benches. While we munched I spied the occasional White fluttering by, always on the wrong side of the electric fence I noted and there were the multitude of Wasps acting like Bovver Boys which is their usual M.O. at this time of year. Lunch done we followed the one way system round and into the gardens proper. The Rose beds held a few Whites and the small bed on the corner of one side of the house threw up a Small Tort looking suitably colour co-ordinated amid the floral collection.
31-08-2020 1.JPG
31-08-2020 2.JPG
31-08-2020 5.JPG
Onwards we went, not wanting to stop too long so as to slow the flow of traffic, onwards past the Fernery and along the main borders. I was able to tarry a while here as the main gravelled path runs parallel to the borders but separated by a strip of lawn about 5 metres or so wide. As I scanned across the flower tops numerous whites flew from one to the other but most were too far back. There was the very occasional Meadow Brown but I was really enamoured by the presence of a grey and orange blur. It was a Hummingbird Hawk Moth and so I had to check my settings and turn on Sports Mode. Even then it was a right pain to get anything on as it always seemed to finish feeding just as the autofocus had picked it up. Still just seeing one was pleasant enough and so I carried on for a bit. Near the far end of the border there was another orangey blur, but this one was much slower and smaller. It landed and there was a gorgeous fresh Small Copper. Gingerly I placed one foot from the lawn into the bed so that I could balance myself, it was either this or fall into the bed completely crushing everything in my path, but it was still a tricky balancing act trying to keep most of my weight anchored on the lawn. Luckily the Small Copper stayed put and so I was able to reel off a few shots before I toppled or transferred too much of my weight.
31-08-2020 6.JPG
31-08-2020 7.JPG
31-08-2020 8.JPG
31-08-2020 10.JPG
After this I re-joined the others and we promenaded down the avenue of trees, wandered the woodland walk and then disaster – the Kitchen Garden was closed! This would mean no checking the veggie beds for whites, flowerbeds for the cracking species and the small pond for the dragonflies. Instead I sought solace from the sparse Meadow Browns and Whites in Pacific garden before we got back, once more onto the one way system as we had booked a visit around the house. It was at this point that the one way system broke down as now we were directed back onto the main gravelled path which we’d strolled along earlier. I didn’t mind this especially as my daughter bumped into one of her friends from school and while they chatted (socially distancing natch), I was free to re-examine the borders. Again there were the Whites, flitting about ceaselessly, again a Meadow Brown but no Small Copper. Luckily the Hummingbird Hawk Moth was (unless it was another) still hanging about and this time I got the measure of it. I noticed it seemed to be flying a circuit round a few selected flowers, possibly giving them time to release more nectar once it had drained the initial supply. So rather than just pointing the camera vaguely in the distance and then hoping the autofocus was quick enough I selected a flower head and waited. This worked out much better as I got my shots but I just wish I remembered these little tricks each time I encounter the same species.
31-08-2020 11.JPG
31-08-2020 13.JPG
The final section was again the small bed by the corner of the house and this time a Small White replaced the Small Tort although it didn’t look quite as ‘fitting’ it still made a nice photo. The final butterfly of the day came once the tour round the house was complete with a Red Admiral waving us off prior to our goodbyes and heading for home.
31-08-2020 15.JPG
The nip of Autumn
Copper butterfly not leaves
Yay, Hummingbird Hawk!

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The Devenish 05-09-2020

Sooooo where to go today? An unexpected opportunity had presented itself to me and so now I had a decision to make – Martin Down or The Devenish? In the end I plumbed for the more local of the two so that if it turned into a disaster the disappointment wouldn’t be added to by having travelled further. Also The Devenish offered more shelter from the not exactly strong but very consistent wind which was blowing. :wink:

I started out in the Orchid Meadow and having gotten over the gate I started quartering the meadow, following the tiny track ways and animal runs that criss-crossed the reserve. The first butterfly I came across was a Common Blue which complimented the Knapweed despite its tired state. Onwards I went and towards the far end of the field there were several Whites all interacting and following each other around. I managed to get onto a couple of the less flighty individuals and they proved to be either Small or Green-veined Whites, the latter of which were noticeable smaller and more ‘flappy’. On the way back as I had almost reached the gate a Small Copper turned up and after that I was led a merry dance by yet another Green-veined White and this one was beautifully marked.
05-09-2020 1.JPG
05-09-2020 3.JPG
05-09-2020 5.JPG
05-09-2020 6.JPG
05-09-2020 7.JPG
05-09-2020 8.JPG
I then girded my loins before starting the ascent up the side of the Down however I needn’t have worried too much as I was offered a breather when only a few steps away from the narrow tack and out onto the Down proper. For here there was a female Adonis hiding down in the grass. She was a right little cracker as she was an aberrant – the one missing the spots on the under wing – and in fact she only had one clearly defined spot the rest of the hind wing was a lovely brown ground colour. She briefly opened up after a quick flutter to a more salubrious position amid the grasses and when she did she showed off her lovely inky upper side which was sprinkling with a few glitter blue scales. A great was to start!
05-09-2020 9.JPG
05-09-2020 10.JPG
As I carried on up the steps a few more Adonis came into view, both of which also seemed to be a similar aberrant form the second of which was very odd in that on one side she appeared fine yet on the other there was the reduced spotting? Both of them played hard to get and I couldn’t get anything decent of them so I carried on up and then followed the diagonal path across the side of the Down towards the scrubby area along the tree line that intersects the foot of the Down and the Orchid Meadow behind it. When I reached the edge of the scrub I found a Small Copper and so set about wandering around the edges of the clumps of Hemp Agrimony. There was a Comma nd then a different Small Copper, and another and another! The last one flew up the down and I tried to follow it in vain. I didn’t mind though as in the process of losing the Small Copper I’d spied another aberrant Adonis – I knew it was definitely a different individual as this one was a male. Again it had the much reduced spotting and again it had an area of wing damage. I remembered Dave pointing this out one time at Cotley so now I’m wondering if this particular aberration is developmental or structural/somatic in origin rather than genetic? Either way it made for an interesting addition to my memory card. I then followed a Small Copper back down into the Hemp Clump and managed a few shots before a Brown Argus successfully evaded my lens. A few Whites had now appeared including a Large among the Smalls. I didn’t open up fully but just enough to show off the blindingly white forewings.
05-09-2020 11.JPG
05-09-2020 13.JPG
05-09-2020 15.JPG
05-09-2020 17.JPG
05-09-2020 19.JPG
05-09-2020 20.JPG
That'll do for now...

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Unusual to find so many curiously-marked Adonis, Wurzel. It does seem true to say that aberrant spotting often comes hand-in-hand with other deformities (and you see this in other species as well) which leads to the conclusion that these are congenital forms. However, classic ab. krodeli individuals occur in both sexes of Adonis Blue with no other apparent damage or abnormality at all. I wonder if the unusual August heat affected the ones you saw - that's when they would have been tucked up in their chrysalids.

Great photos of the Whites, by the way - very tricky to get the detail without the whiteness overwhelming things. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots again Wurzel, it won't belong now, we're in P's :D may be I'll get that Adonis and Grizzy this year :lol: probably not an ab though :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I did put the images on a Facebook group for aberrations and got a name for it but I can't recall it at the moment :? There were a few more later on during the visit as well...see below :wink: Cheers also for the Whites comment - I was chuffed with those - if only I could work out how I'd gotten those images as they're much more down to luck than judgement :oops: :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D Into the P's as well and I'm into September on my PD so the butterflies are only just round the corner :wink: :lol:

The Devenish 05-09-2020 Part 2

After this I carried on along and made my way back up to the top via the gully which was surprisingly quiet and then worked my way along the top following the meandering track that ends up skirting around the copse and back into the scallops up to the wire fence. The whole time up here I didn’t see a butterfly – possibly because this was where the wind was strongest as it was blowing form across the adjacent field right through the fence and down the side of the Down. So I decided to cut my losses and make my way back down the side of the Down and avoid the middle section. I again missed out on a Brown Argus but instead followed a misleading Adonis away from the path and the steps cut into the chalk. It was misleading as when it settled it was nowhere near as fresh as it had advertised during its’ slight. Sometimes Adonis males seem even more metallic blue when worn – something to do with worn individuals having a greater refractive index?
05-09-2020 22.JPG
I then followed a female as she flew and was ready when she landed slightly higher up the Down but when I relocated her I spied mating pair. So now I settled down and got a few shots of the pairing whilst keeping eye on female – another aberrant…Then I moved back onto the female then back to the pair all the while keeping an eye on a section of the opposite valley. As I was watching out of the corner of my eye the sun rolled overhead lighting the green in the distance and I kept on watching, waiting for it to come to me. When it arrived I as ready and the butterflies really pinged out of the undergrowth. Back with the female the light had stimulated her to open up and she glistened with an oily electric blue sheen like female Silver-Studs from earlier in the season. On the final part of the descent a final Downside Small Copper popped up at the start of the narrow trackway down but it avoided my lens.
05-09-2020 25.JPG
05-09-2020 26.JPG
05-09-2020 27.JPG
Back down to the Orchid Meadow the whites were still flying about and somehow I ended up following one right to the far end. It didn’t look quite right and once I’d caught up with it I could see why – it was a quite heavily marked Green-veined, with the green veins showing through on the topside more strongly than on the underside. On the walk back to where I’d started before the white had led me astray a Brown Argus disappeared from view again (this is getting to be a bit of a habit for the BAs here!), a Specklie flew across the field and various Dragonflies were about. There was definitely an Emperor as well as a few Common Darters. In the middle bit a stunning female Adonis Blue played in the sun looking gorgeous and a faded male Common Blue eked out it’s final days. One of the dragonflies buzzed me and then landed in the bushes. I managed to get within range of it by means of walking round in a wide arc to roughly where it was – whistling nonchalantly and acting interested in a bush that was just over the other side of the fence – honest! Then by way of melting into and melding with the bushes I was able to get a few shots of what I think is a Migrant Hawker? Could be a Common or Southern though – I do need to read up on my Dragonflies. Once I’d gotten a few shots and by way of reversing the process gotten back into the Meadow without disturbing it I turned my attentions back to butterflies as a beautifully fresh Small Copper was sitting nicely for me.
05-09-2020 28.JPG
05-09-2020 29.JPG
05-09-2020 30.JPG
05-09-2020 31.JPG
05-09-2020 32.JPG
I hopped over the gate into the Tunnel of Trees and followed an Emperor along to the end where a couple of Specklies were jostling for the prime sunbathing position. In the tiny Paddock the ground was alive with Bees which I’m guessing are Ivy Bees – they were everywhere but despite the huge numbers getting any photos was next to impossible to photograph for two reasons. Firstly not one sat still for long enough and secondly there were so many I didn’t know which one to focus on at any one time!
05-09-2020 33.JPG
05-09-2020 34.JPG
I left them in the end with a few grab/record shots on the memory card, hopped over the other gate and started for home. None too shabby a haul for a cob-web buster!

A last minute trip
With Adonis and Coppers
Cob webs blown away

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Work 07-09-2020

So after 5 full days back at work I finally got onto a butterfly. At various points over the time that I’ve been back the little clump of Buddleia on the corner of the Science block has held different butterflies. I’ve walked past and a Small Tortoiseshell has been holding its own, a brace of Large Whites had been malingering and there has also been the occasional Red Admiral or Red Admiral pair. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to get any photos for one of two reasons. Number one, I’ve not had my camera as it’s been during the working day and so I was just passing through on my way somewhere else or number 2 I’ve seen it at break or lunch, gone back to get my camera and by the time I’ve navigated the one way system the butterflies have gone.

Today however I didn’t even give the butterflies the chance to land on the Buddleia. As I rounded the corner into the lab at lunch having picked up a coffee I watched two Red Admirals gliding about above the Science and Tech block. They’d land on one of the flat roofs and then glide across to the other flat roof, forward and back, rarely beating their wings and so looking like dead leaves caught on the breeze. Spotting them I quickly headed in, dropped my coffee off on my desk, grabbed my camera and was back out on the corner before they’d reached the end of the block. One carried on glided away across the Tech block and out of sight but the other landed first on the Tech Block sign and then on one of the window frames. It was at an unusual angle and so rather than trying for the classic open winged, a la Batman pose I took the shots from head on or at an acute angle. This meant that the brush feet, the pair of fore legs were really obvious. At times I had to double check that I was still looking at a Red Admiral as when I zoomed in close they looked kind of similar to the pincher palps of a, slightly buck toothed, Tarantula!
07-09-2020 1.JPG
07-09-2020 3.JPG
07-09-2020 4.JPG
Chuffed to finally have caught a butterfly out at work I made my way back in for another afternoon in the bubble.

Ahhh Tarantula!
No it’s a Red Admiral
Got far too close. Doh!

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I have never seen such a bluish sheen on a female Adonis as the one in your image.
Very much enjoyed your retrospective reports from late Summer.

Stay safe and well, here's to a post lockdown 2021!.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D I'm definitely looking forward to some light at the end of the tunnel although I'm currently about priority level 28 for the vaccine :? It would be nice to think that Large Blues could be back on the cards for 2021 :D

Work 09-09-2020

The Buddleia at work gave up a few more treats today. The end of the working day arrived, I’d sanitized my hands and closed the windows, sprayed and wiped the desks down and then sanitized my hands again. I had my mask ready to hand for the short walk along corridors and everything was packed and ready for the off. I happened to look across the Lab and through the window when I spotted a leaf that floated across the Quad. “Marvellous the mimicry butterflies show” I thought because the floating leaf was the approximate shape and colour of a Painted Lady. Then the leaf flapped its wings…

Within a couple of seconds I’d unpacked my camera, my hands working of their own accord whilst my eyes were locked onto the butterfly. It turned and flew towards the Tech Block and so I left the Lab and looked across the Quad which was now empty. My gaze fell on the little stand of Buddleia and so I went to check it out. Sure enough there was a Painted Lady – it was pretty battered but this was only my third of the year so I didn’t mind its poor state of repair. It thought it had been pretty clever, landing towards the top of the plant, approximately 7ft up, however by using one of the picnic benches I was dead level with it. So I got a few shots as it shifted around taking nectar effusively. At one point it became obscured by a few overhanging leaves and I took the opportunity to look at the rest of the bush - a few bees and then near the top, not actually on the bush but clinging onto a vent in the wall was a beautifully fresh Small Tort. It was stunning – not just in its colour and markings but in the contrast it offered to the Painted Lady which now seemed even more ancient.
09-09-2020 2.JPG
09-09-2020 3.JPG
09-09-2020 4.JPG
I popped back in to grab my things and then spent a few more minutes outside with the butterflies. The Small Tort gave up the basking and came and joined the Painted Lady on the bush. In fact it actually shared one of the florets with its cousin. It was great to see the two species together but at one point a Large White bustled in, took a sip and moved on as did a Hummingbird Hawkmoth – a new species for the ‘School/Work List’. Not bad for quarter of an hour or so and for such a spindly little bush.
09-09-2020 5.JPG
09-09-2020 7.JPG
A brief break from the Haiku – but this need to be sung to the tune of O’ Little Town… not the Cliff version though, Thor forbid!
09-09-2020 9 001.JPG
O’ little stand of Buddleia
You’re reaching for the sky
Bedecked in sweet and purple treats
You catch a butterflies eye…

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”