Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by David M »

Those are highly evocative 'before and after' images, Neil. In the beginning, it all looks rather like a scene from trench warfare, but as you say, nature has phenomenal powers of recovery, and looking at the 2020 images you'd scarcely believe how things were just three years previously.

Good luck with your further endeavours.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. Although the pandemic and the changing guidelines have curtailed most of the habitat work planned for volunteers, I was at least able to oversee some extensive contractor work during the autumn. I'm optimistic that we'll be able to play 'catch-up' when the situation improves.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2020 Retrospective (Pearl-bordered Fritillary Part 1)

As under the current guidelines, I was permitted to work during the first lockdown (both as a Tesco driver and freelance ecologist), when work could not be performed from home; much confusion reigned at the time (and probably still does), largely due to fuzzy messaging - nothing has changed.

However, this meant that I could only visit sites where surveying/monitoring was strictly covered by contract, and not on a voluntary basis. The fortunes of Pearl-bordered Fritillary (and other species) in 2020 are therefore clear on some Sussex sites, but will require an urgent assessment in 2021 on others.

Just before Christmas, I completed a 25,000-word 78-page report for the South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA), including 12,646 records of 39 species across 32 sites. I was also contracted to perform surveys by the Norfolk Estate and other landowners. Although the coverage was rather patchy, this did allow me a rare insight into how some butterflies fared during the earlier part of 2020, particularly as voluntary recording (including UKBMS transects) was cancelled.

My observations were in line with many anecdotal reports from around the country; wildlife seemed to enjoy the respite from human activity. However, the main driver behind some of the spectacular sights I observed was clearly the ongoing conservation work being performed in the county.

One of the biggest success stories was at Rewell Wood, where I've been working closely with the Norfolk Estate and SDNPA for many years. Here, the Pearl-bordered Fritillary (PBF) enjoyed its best year ever, by a long way. Some major restructuring of the wood, which was initiated during my time as BC's Fritillaries for the Future project officer (now continued as an independent) finally triggered the sort of population explosion I had long hoped for.

From an all-time low point in 2015, when my maximum day-count was just 29 individuals, I had been pleased enough with a count of 306 in 2019. However, 2020 saw the species flying in 'Victorian abundance'. They were literally spilling out of both the northern and southern ends of Rewell Wood, hopefully dispersing across the much wider countryside. As another survey revealed, the species had done just this in 2019, so I'm optimistic that 2021 will confirm other natural colonisations in this part of West Sussex.

My best day-count of 914 individuals provided an astonishing spectacle, with high concentrations over both publicly accessible areas and in several private parts of the complex. On many occasions I could see more than 30 PBF at a time and I found 26 mating pairs over the course of my monitoring visits. I suspect that numbers will be much higher in 2021.

Much of the credit for this happy situation lies with the Norfolk Estate, which has performed an impressive programme of ride widening and creation of rotationally managed, permanently open spaces. The commercial harvesting of Sweet Chestnut is now being performed in a more fritillary-friendly (but more costly) manner, with the extraction of 'tops' and brash for chipping and export for biomass; this vastly increases the quality and extent of PBF breeding habitat.

Assuming that the Covid-19 situation is much improved by then, a spring visit to Rewell Wood is highly recommended, but please keep to the public rights of way; there will be more than enough flying along the W-E bridleway in the southern part of the wood to satisfy anyone.
UKB PBF pair 4.5.20.jpg
UKB PBF pair, Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB PBF pair (4), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB PBF pair (2), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB PBF pair (3), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB PBF cluster.jpg
UKB Rewell Wood, SDNPA Year-1 cut.jpg
UKB Rewell Wood, SDNPA Year-2 cut.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

That is an extraordinary photo of the cluster of PBF, Neil. It must be so rewarding to see years of effort come to such an amazing culmination and the idea that 2021 should be even better is mind-boggling. :shock: :) Brilliant. Let's hope the forthcoming spring weather matches 2020's extraordinary sunshine and the travel restrictions ease to allow a few of us to appreciate the spectacle and the hard work that has gone into creating it.

All the best,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Even the suggestion of such numbers a few years ago would have been laughed at by many (possibly it even was) but that image of the Bugle covered in PBF is astonishing, huge congratulations to everyone involved :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

And that was PBF ‘part 1’! Whatever next - a couple of hundred spelling out ‘long live Hulme’ amongst the bugle perhaps?

Seriously though - what a spectacle and congratulations to all involved.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

14 PBFs in a single photo? Pathetic :wink:

Incredible result for all the hard work by all involved - great stuff :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

That's brilliant news Neil, and what a stunning photo of that group of PBF's all together. A huge well done to yourself, and to all else involved.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Dave, Paul, Ben, Pete and Paul.

It's always difficult to photograph groups of butterflies, unless they're salting/puddling, as they need to be closely packed to make a decent shot. 14 in one frame was the best I could manage, but there were more than 40 along a less than 10 metre strip of ride margin.

I watched numerous female PBF colonising this (below) 9 hectare replanted clearfell; this will greatly add to the area of coppice coupes, glades and ride margins occupied by the species in 2021, suggesting that the population increase is set to continue.

BWs, Neil
UKB Rewell Wood 9ha replant.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2020 Retrospective (Pearl-bordered Fritillary Part 2)

Over the last five winters, a friend and I, now with the support of national park rangers and volunteers (how much we cut this winter will depend on a relaxation of current Covid-19 restrictions), have been cutting a Hazel coppice rotation in woods on the Angmering Park Estate. I started this work with PBF in mind, as it's only c.5 km away from Rewell Wood and easily within range of natural dispersal and colonisation by this species; in 2019 a female was seen at Springhead Hill, twice that distance from source.

I was therefore delighted, but not totally surprised, to discover that PBF has colonised the site. My best count in 2020 of 9 individuals (the progeny of at least one dispersing female in 2019), including two mating pairs, gives hope that they will 'stick' here; the habitat quality is excellent.

Natural colonisations by PBF in the C21st are rare events, but it is even more exciting that they are in Hazel coppice. I am aware of a single, long-lived colony in Hazel coppice in Hampshire, but doubt there are currently many more.

Our eight-coupe cycle only covers an area of 2 hectares, but the future of this site looks promising. I was invited to discuss the new woodland management plan for the entire estate with its agent; the plan now includes larger scale commercial coppicing of the overstood (overgrown) Hazel for biomass. The discovery of a 1956 Forestry Commission bulletin on Hazel coppice (which mentions this very location) provided the data I was looking for; maximum yield in terms of weight is reached at around 21 years, which is almost precisely the period since the last cuts here (bar ours). A suitable, commercially viable rotation is therefore feasible here, taking significant (but not too large; Hazel Dormouse must be considered) chunks on an annual or biennial basis.

Needless to say, the sight of PBF flying amongst Hazel coppice stools and over the unique ground flora that this traditional management encourages, provided one of my happiest moments in a generally gloomy year.
UKB PBF pair APE 12.5.20.jpg
UKB PBF pair, APE.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2020 Retrospective (Duke of Burgundy)

As with Pearl-bordered Fritillary, in the spring of 2020 I was only able to survey or monitor Duke of Burgundy on sites specifically covered by contract work, meaning that some locations went unvisited. Nevertheless, I still managed to log a total of 879 sightings in West Sussex, suggesting that the species had a good if not spectacular year.

A small colony hidden away in Rewell Wood has persisted since I rediscovered the species here in 2008, although numbers have remained stubbornly low and in some years the Duke seemed to have disappeared. However, much work has recently been performed in this part of the complex and the area of potentially suitable habitat has increased greatly. Hopefully, this work will secure the long-term future of the species here. Both the Norfolk Estate and South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) have been enthusiastic supporters of these efforts.

The first Duke I saw at Rewell Wood in 2020 met a sticky end and I had mixed feelings as the drama unfolded; I feel very protective towards this species. However, my sadness at seeing a freshly emerged male being killed (probably during the first few hours of its life) was matched by my admiration for the camouflage and ambush technique of the Flower Crab Spider Misumena vatia. I would never have noticed it sitting in the Wood Spurge flower until the Duke alighted and suddenly buckled under its grasp.

Numbers were very strong along the Downs near Storrington and towards the end of the flight season I made a short film (to be released this spring) with the SDNPA about our conservation efforts with this species. We even managed to film a mating pair separating and the male immediately departing in search of another virgin, just as I was describing such ungentlemanly behaviour.

Perhaps the most exciting news was the colonisation of the Steyning Downland Scheme (SDS) area, which now supports the most easterly Dukes this side of Kent. This was the cause of much celebration, as we have eagerly awaited the arrival of His Grace since the 2014-2016 Dukes of Steyning project, which I worked on with SDS, SDNPA and other partners. The Dukes here are breeding on the huge number of Primula plants grown from seed and planted out by volunteers; a great success story.
UKB Crab Spider vs. Duke (1), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB Crab Spider vs. Duke (2), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB Crab Spider vs. Duke (3), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB Crab Spider vs. Duke (4), Rewell Wood.jpg
UKB Duchess, Steyning 2020.jpg
UKB DoB pair, Storrington 2020(2).jpg
UKB DoB pair, Storrington 2020 (1).jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Stunning work once again, Neil!

And despite the male DoB's demise, I think that those first 4 images are simply incredible and tell a story in themselves.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
trevor

Post by trevor »

Reading your PBF reports I can only gasp in awe!.
And I thought Abbots Wood was good for Pearls last year.

Superb stuff, stay well!
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:58 pm...However, 2020 saw the species flying in 'Victorian abundance'. They were literally spilling out of both the northern and southern ends of Rewell Wood, hopefully dispersing across the much wider countryside. As another survey revealed, the species had done just this in 2019, so I'm optimistic that 2021 will confirm other natural colonisations in this part of West Sussex.

My best day-count of 914 individuals provided an astonishing spectacle, with high concentrations over both publicly accessible areas and in several private parts of the complex. On many occasions I could see more than 30 PBF at a time and I found 26 mating pairs over the course of my monitoring visits. I suspect that numbers will be much higher in 2021.
Those truly are astonishing figures, Neil. Given the work you and others have put in over the years, it must have fair warmed your heart to see the target species respond so positively.

Your image of the 14 PBFs nectaring on a small patch of bugle puts it all into perspective. This butterfly can and will fly in numbers in ideal habitat, but will only thrive if such habitat is maintained. The work being done should not only serve to maintain it, but also improve it to a point where maybe it will be possible to count them in four figure numbers!! That would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

Well done to all. :)
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Amazing reports. Astonishing group photo of the PBFs.
Wonderful news about Steyning.
Thank you for sharing the good new. The report has given me a much needed boost.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Pete. For future posts, I've got some more rather gory but fascinating images of butterflies and other insects being predated.

Thanks Trevor and David. Knowing what I know, I think four-figure counts of PBF at Rewell Wood are almost inevitable this spring. Things are still too uncertain during the earlier part of this year, but I'll probably arrange an open day here (access all areas) for 2022, by which time the species may be uncountable! It won't be sustainable at such levels in the longer term, but a perfect storm is brewing.

Thanks, Katrina. I'm glad these reports are providing a little light amongst the gloom. But if Covid and the weather play ball, we could enjoy one of the best butterfly springs ever.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2020 Retrospective (Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary)

By the time lockdown rules had been relaxed, it was too late for me to visit the BC reserves in Sussex to see how well the Pearl-bordered Fritillary (reintroduced in 2019) had fared, but local members reported that the numbers were encouraging. However, I did manage to see a few faded and torn stragglers, which were mixing with the now rapidly increasing numbers of Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (SPBF).

Although I was playing 'catch-up', so visited less often than I would have under different circumstances, I still managed a maximum day-count of 41. This was slightly lower than 2019, but for well-understood reasons; I had to take the difficult decision to run a mulcher over one of the three best breeding areas during the preceding winter, as poorly executed commercial work in the early days, following the acquisition of Rowland Wood, had left piles of timber in the middle of some rides, preventing efficient maintenance by tractor. I simply couldn't ask the same local volunteer group to come back every winter to hand-cut the same rides, and the timber was no longer easy to shift. However, this area will have fully recovered by the time the species flies in 2021.

The SPBF flight season was short; a little more than three weeks. This was due to the almost perfect weather throughout this period, with wall-to-wall sunshine and heat almost daily. The early start to the emergence led me to predict a strong second brood, but I got that completely wrong! For the first time since the reintroduction, there was no second brood. In retrospect, I now believe that the critical period in triggering partial bivoltinism (in SE England) is probably during the first instar; the larvae need a rapid start. However, the weather collapsed and became very cool and dull at the start of June. This marked change in weather patterns affected other species too, slamming the brakes on what would otherwise have been a very early Purple Emperor season.

This year will be critical. Given some of the extreme weather we have experienced over the last couple of years (not least drought), if SPBF again emerges in strong numbers, I'll be confident in declaring this reintroduction a success.
UKB SPBF 1, PCH 13.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF 4, PCH 13.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF male, PCH 17.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF 2, PCH 13.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF 3, PCH 13.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF female, PCH 17.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF pair PCH 22.5.20.jpg
UKB SPBF ab. extenuata PCH 24.5.20.jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great reports and photos Neil . they certainly gave me a lift !
Another jaunt "over the border " for Rewell wood and Fairmile bottom ,looks on the cards ..................Covid permitting !!
Regards Allan.W.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Allan. I suspect that the relatively 'new' Duke of Burgundy colony at Fairmile Bottom is set to grow significantly over the next few years, so I'd be interested to hear of any sightings you make. I found widespread DoB larval feeding damage and easily located a few larvae when I was there in late June. This included areas well away from where most adults are currently seen (near the cattle trough and Frog Orchids).
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2020 Retrospective (Purple Emperor)

The 2020 Purple Emperor season proved to be disappointing. This was probably due to three factors: high winter predation of larvae; the collapse in weather at the start of June, just as final instar larvae were pupating; gale force winds at the peak of the flight season. The addition of a fourth factor, late summer drought causing the widespread shedding of sallow leaves (probably worse at Knepp than on most traditional, heavily wooded sites), does not bode well for the 2021 season.

At Knepp, the early start (first adult on 13 June) soon faltered and the population grew at an atypically slow pace. The first decent number (19) was recorded on 20 June, including the first female. The flight reached a modest peak of 85 on 24 June and my subsequent count of 79 on 28 June proved to be a watershed. I saw 11 females that day in rapidly strengthening winds and I suspect that many perished before even being mated. When the gales finally subsided, it was clear that the population had been decimated. Results from elsewhere confirmed a poor year across the Purple Empire.

I did manage to photograph a few males on the deck, although the vast number of post-lockdown visitors (mostly marching rapidly on the way to view the White Storks) meant that most were flushed almost immediately. My own first sighting of the year was spectacular; a pristine emperor spent nearly 30 minutes on my trousers or hand (images courtesy of Matthew Oates).

Prior to the destructive gales, I spent many hours guiding camera crews working on two wildlife films. The results won't be available for a couple of years (both projects will require more filming throughout 2021), but they'll be well worth waiting for.

Purple Emperor safaris at Knepp couldn't start until 4 July and had to be conducted in a larger number of small groups. Despite the mass kill, we still managed to retain our 100% record of showing the butterfly to visitors.
UKB Purple Emperor, Knepp Wildland 26.6.20.jpg
UKB PE5 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg
UKB PE2 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg
UKB PE6 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg
UKB PE4 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg
UKB PE3 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg
UKB PE Knepp Wildland 28.6.20.jpg
UKB PE1 Knepp 18.6.20.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”