Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Buggy, HAPPY NEW YEAR, you still did okay with your Butterflies last year, what a selection :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy New Year! :D A lovely set of bird shots Bugboy - especially like the synchronized Shelduck and the 'Common' (increasingly misnamed now) Gull - they look much less angry than their American Ring-billed cousins :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thank you Goldie, all things considered I didn't do too bad at all on the butterfly front :)
Thanks Wurzel, it's likely to be all birds this winter unless I break into my back catalogue!

January 2021

Happy new lockdown... I mean Year to you all! Not quite the way we had hoped to start the new year but needs must and we can but hope that the old saying " it's always darkest before the dawn" is appropriate at this stage in proceedings :? .

Anyway I have managed to get out a few times, and thankfully social distancing hasn't been a problem at all. On the 6th I opted for a wander around Epping Forest, staying of the main paths as best I could meaning I barely saw a soul. The choice of footware (wellies) proved invaluable for choosing the less well used paths. I did try and search out some suitable Honeysuckle but found very little and since White Admirals seem to be very thin on the ground here (I saw just one over the summer) my chances of finding a larvae were rather slim at best anyway. Birdwise it was much the usual suspects I would expect to find, various common woodland denizens plus a few aquatic birds around the larger water bodies. The one surprise I wasn't expecting was a Ringed Teal, a duck native to South America. I'm not aware of any feral populations outside its native range so I can only presume its an escapee, he seemed quite happy where he was though, despite the cold. Near the end of my wander I came across a large flock of Redwing, my first of the winter, and spent quite a bit of time following them in the hope of getting one out in the open. A difficult task at the best of times made even more difficult by the constant alarm calls from the resident Blackbirds, wrens and Great Tits amongst others :roll: .
Kestrel, Cormorant (looking on at some squabbling Mallards), Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Moorhen, Great Tit, Ringed Teal
Kestrel, Cormorant (looking on at some squabbling Mallards), Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Moorhen, Great Tit, Ringed Teal
Redwing, Black-headed Gull, Blue Tit, Pied Wagtail, House Sparrow, Redwing.
Redwing, Black-headed Gull, Blue Tit, Pied Wagtail, House Sparrow, Redwing.
I'm always keeping my eye out for Kingfishers whenever I'm near a suitable water body but the only one I saw today took me by surprise, the distinctive electric blue and day glow orange streaking in front of me across an open field.

The following day on the 7th I stayed on Walthamstow Marshes, finding a handful of Redwing on the horse paddocks who were much easier to get close to, probably somewhat desensitized to people in the more open habitat in a big city. A wintering Chiffchaff was busy catching winter gnats on the wing (I was close enough to hear its beak snapping shut with each tine meal). I found a few flocks of Long-tailed Tit along a walk by the river Lea, cormorant are often seen along here too. Best spot was a Stonechat, it's been a few years since I've seen some wintering here. As usual the female was nearby, you hardly ever see them as singletons.
Redwing, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Stonechat (male & female), Cormorant.
Redwing, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit, Stonechat (male & female), Cormorant.

The 9th was quite a traumatic day for me personally, I'd reached the ripe old age of half a century, but the sun shone so I was out again to blow away the cobwebs, this time a walk through Walthamstow Wetlands and up to Tottenham Marshes. There wasn't a great deal on the wetlands save for the standard collection of Swans, Mallards, Coots, tufted Ducks, Gulls and Cormorants. An almost spherical Robin did make me smile and a Jay was having a scratch in a bush.
Mute Swan, Robin, Jay
Mute Swan, Robin, Jay
There was even less to point my camera at on Tottenham Marshes, that was until I heard the distinctive call of a bird of prey. On Walthamstow Marshes my default BoP is the kestrel but over here I do see Peregrine with a regularity that points to a resident pair. I was lucky enough today to see (from a great distance) one make a kill, flying at a small flock of Starling I'd spotted earlier at the top of a pylon. In the top left image of the collage you might be able to make out the lifeless legs of the victim as the peregrine came in to land not far from where the kill was made.
It then flew across the field I was standing in and landed near the top of another pylon, much closer to me to feed, from where the other pictures were taken. Whilst it was feeding a second flew past, almost certainly it's mate.
Pretty much what the Peregrine looked like from the naked eye, dead center on the first cross beam from the top.
Pretty much what the Peregrine looked like from the naked eye, dead center on the first cross beam from the top.
A small selection of the 200 or so pictures I took over an hour  watching it feed, all significantly cropped.
A small selection of the 200 or so pictures I took over an hour watching it feed, all significantly cropped.
Not a bad way to spend your 50th birthday when there's limited other options :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

And a Happy New Lockdown/Year to you too Bugboy :lol: Love the Peregrine shots - brilliant to see something so wild on something so artificial - a cracking juxtaposition :D 8) :mrgreen: One way to view the passing of the years that I'm using to soften the blow is to remember the look of peace and inner tranquility on the faces of some recently retired UKBers and reason that with each Birthday I'm another step closer to that Zen-like-butterfly-filled-state :wink: Then my girls remind that I'm getting to be "an old codge" and I'm back to square one :shock: :lol:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! bugboy, great shots of all the birds, we've had trouble with the Sparrow Hawk's around our way, they've been seen killing the Blue Tits and of all things a Robin and a Black bird, I know they've to live but I've gone off them a bit now :( Goldie :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks for the words of comfort Wurzel :lol:
That's the downside to feeding birds in your garden, the Sparrowhawks soon cotton on to it being a great fast food joint! I'd rather it was them eating the songbirds rather than the millions of cats though :roll:

January 2021

I'd taken a week of work, starting with impeccable timing the day old BoJo announced the current lockdown, so very much local only wanders remain my only choice to take my camera out for it's government allowed exorcise. On the last day before a return to work, the 11th, I returned to Epping Forest. It was quite a gloomy day for the most part. On the lake near Chingford, Conaught Water, there wasn't much social distancing going on with the Black-headed Gulls. The posts sunk into the water (for unknown reasons) were very popular but the Gulls far outnumbered them so there was a constant battle to take ownership of them.
Black-headed Gulls
Black-headed Gulls
Elsewhere the wood was alive with Redwings, heard far more often than seen, but a female Great-spotted Woodpecker posed quite well. Goldcrests were also rather numerous (must have been a good summer for them) but like the Redwings, more often heard than seen and by the time I did get one in my viewfinder the light was starting to fail. I would have deleted the pic if not for the wonderfully cute pose, reminds me of a Flump :lol: (remember those?).
On one of the smaller woodland ponds I found a gaggle of Mandarin Duck, at least 16 but probably more skulking in the overgrown margins. Before leaving a Kestrel came quite low near me, must have found the telltale trail of an incontinent rodent!
Great-spotted Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Mandarin Ducks, Kestrel
Great-spotted Woodpecker, Goldcrest, Mandarin Ducks, Kestrel
I did actively look for butterflies as well. I took a torch with me and peered into a few hollow trees that looked like suitable hibernating spots for Peacock, unfortunately I couldn't find any but I shall persist with future outings :). I might pay more attention to Bramble and Ivy thickets as well for Comma and Brimstones :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've got that theme music stuck in my head now - a great if annoying tune! :lol: Still it a great shot of the Goldcrest - more often heard than seen and more often seen than captured on film! :mrgreen: Cracking Mandarins as well - I had to travel to Sherborne Lake from Poole to see my first one many years ago - well worth it as I picked up my first ever Crossbill there as well 8)

Have a goodun and say safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:28 pm...Not a bad way to spend your 50th birthday when there's limited other options
Not bad at all, Paul, and welcome to the '50+ Club'. :)

Excellent montages, particularly the one involving the Peregrine. They truly are majestic birds...although I daresay the starlings would disagree.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, Crossbills are a species I've yet to see. I've never been a bird twitcher so I'm content to wait for them to turn up on one of my outings :)
Thanks David, one advantage of turning 50, I've jumped up in the queue for the Covid jab :?

January 2021

23rd. I managed to slink off to Epping Forest again today. Nicely spread out it’s the best place locally to be at the weekend to grab some nature with ample space to socially distance. I made every effort to search out something lepidopteran today. Inspired by some hibernating Comma’s on Winterwatch this week I searched out similar clumps of leaves, finding none. More hollows in trees were checked with a torch, no Peacock. I couldn’t locate any Ivy so no searching for that needle in a haystack (Brimstone). I did find some suitable patches of Honeysuckle in shady corners but couldn’t find any sign of White Admiral. My last shot was Purple Hairstreak eggs, well it was raining adults six months ago, but do you think I could find any low hanging Oak bows that would get enough spring sun….. even if I had I’d forgotten to bring my glasses so finding an egg still would have been a long shot!

So it was avian life that was on the receiving end of my lens once again, and quite productive it was too with decent showings of what I consider to be three premium species for me locally as far as photography is concerned. The chilly weather of recent most certainly helping with their boldness I’m sure. First up, feeding with a flock of flighty Chaffinch (no brambling in the mix unfortunately) were a pair of Nuthatch.
Nuthatch.png
There were several throughout the day mixing in with the flocks of various songbirds. Also seen several times and showing well were Treecreepers.
Treecreeper.png
And finally a single Coal Tit allowed reasonably close approach whilst foraging.
Coal Tit.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Bugboy :D :mrgreen: Getting anything decent of a Treecreeper is mighty impressive as they have a habit of knowing when they're being watched and then nipping around to the other side of the trunk :roll: :lol: You did well with the Coal Tit too as they can be quite shy - usually because there's a Great or Blue Tit nearby that's ready to bully them :?

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the Tree Creeper Bugboy, I've tried some shots of them myself but has Wurzel said they disappeared behind the tree :lol: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:07 pm...one advantage of turning 50, I've jumped up in the queue for the Covid jab
Yes, Paul. For once I'm glad to be over 50 as I too am in that last highlighted group to receive it prior to the general stampede!

Lovely selection of birdlife, as ever. That treecreeper is so adorable, and you've captured it really well. :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, they're the best shots I've ever got of a Treecreeper :D and it was actually a pair of Great Tits foraging nearby that caused me to notice the Coal Tit :)
Thanks Goldie, yes they're bad like that, same with Green Woodpeckers!
Thanks David, made even more adorable by the nippy weather causing it to fluff up :)

January 2021

After a very wet start, the 29th brightened up considerably so I nipped out to the Marshes for a few hours and as far as birds were concerned it was a bit of a red letter day. It started of quite normal with the usual selection of Wagtails on the horse paddocks, a Grey Wagtail enjoying the large puddles left by the recent deluges. Moving onto the waterworks reserve (an old water treatment works turned into a nature reserve) came the first decent spot of the day, a male Sparrowhawk sent shudder through a small flock of Teal. Despite the hide, he was definitely aware there was someone pointing a camera at him!
#1.png
A little later a Tit flock attracted my attention, mostly Long-tailed and Blue Tits, but in amongst them I could hear the distinctive high pitched contact call of a Goldcrest and as luck would have it, out they came and stayed very close despite several passers by walking past even closer to them. The female made for the better poses, identifiable by the lack of orange flecks in her crown.
Goldcrest.png
Things got even better near the end of my walk. Cetti’s Warblers are commonplace here, it’s rare that I don’t hear a few shouting their presence from the undergrowth, and just as rare to catch a glimpse of one. This particular one though went against the rules of it’s entire species and could well be the highlight of my birding year, I've never had such a good view of one, never mind actually have time to point my camera at one 8) !
Cetti's.png
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great results with that Goldcrest, Paul.
A little bird that visits my garden most Winters, and always too quick for a photo.

Like you, looking forward to Spring!.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Great to see what you found around the waterworks Paul - it used to be my final destination on my daily pram walk - if I timed it right the baby would be just nodding off by the time I arrived at my favourite waterworks bench - 30 mins (an hour on a brilliant day) of peaceful heaven would follow! There was a good spot to see kingfishers on the river just there - but I’m sure you see them up and down the Lee.

Looking forward to some spring species from the marshes - they tend to get going pretty early from what I remember. Include the odd shot of the area if you can - I miss the place!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You've done it again Bugboy - a photo of a Cetti's that isn't "it's in there somewhere" :shock: :mrgreen: Cracking shots! :D :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You are becoming something of an avian 'whisperer', Paul. First the treecreeper, then the goldcrest, and now the cetti's warbler; three bird species that are notorious for being fidgety and generally keeping out of plain sight for all but the briefest periods.

Must say the front-on goldcrest shot is a gem. The bands look like they've been sprayed on they're so vivid. :mrgreen:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Trevor, yes they are nippy little birds. Much like the Wall, most of my attempts at getting their picture end up in the bin :lol: . Amazing to think that the ones you see in your garden in the winter might have flown across the North Sea to winter here!
Thanks Ben, Glad I'm bringing back some Happy memories :) . The Kingfishers are still there but I've never been able to catch them settled, just the familiar high pitched piping call as they skim up and down the river in a blue blur. I've occasionally seen one on the waterworks ponds as well. The waterworks has got quite busy since the pandemic started though, particularly at the weekends unsurprisingly :? Ps. sorry I forgot to get a few shots when I went there yesterday, I'll try and remember next time :)
Thanks Wurzel, I know, I couldn't believe it myself, he just sat there looking at me. The rest of his people have probably disowned him now :lol:
Thanks David, just a case of being in the right place at the right time I think with that Cetti's :)
February 2021

A run of three days off work with no rain (a few snow flurries though) meant that daily exorcise could be done in relative comfort… with appropriate layers of course.
On the 10th I went to Epping Forest where the icy conditions had frozen over large portions of Conaught Water. In the woodland the flocks of small birds busied themselves in the understory and leaf litter, staying out of the windier canopy, and I had some more luck with Coal Tits and Nuthatches. The Redwings are getting braver too. Food being a lot scarcer now all the holly berries have been eaten, so joining the other thrushes rummaging through the leaf litter is all that is left for them. There’s not been much variety of ducks out on the lake this winter, just Mallard and Tufted Ducks, but a single male Shoveler was seen today. The Gulls were still around, some Black-heads getting their breeding plumage and they all seemed to be busy preening, more important than ever in this weather.
Coal Tit, Redwing, Coal Tit, Mallard, Shoveler, Nuthatch
Coal Tit, Redwing, Coal Tit, Mallard, Shoveler, Nuthatch
Black-headed & Common Gulls
Black-headed & Common Gulls
On the 11th I spent a few hours on the Marshes, amongst the residents a couple of local winter visitors put in a show, a handsome male Stonechat and a couple of Meadow Pipit. The horse paddocks didn’t produce as much as usual, most likely due to the ground being mostly frozen, just a small flock of Chaffinch which were carefully scanned for any Brambling, none were found.
Stonechat, Long-tailed Tit, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Meadow Pipit
Stonechat, Long-tailed Tit, Dunnock, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Meadow Pipit
Just before leaving I came across a hungry Robin battling heroically against a dead worm that was stuck half out of the frozen solid ground. Unfortunately a dog walker came along before he could get the full meal.
11.2 #2.png
The 12th was a return to Epping Forest where I found Conaught Water pretty much completely frozen over. A female Great-spotted Woodpecker put on a good show hammering the hell out of a dead stick!
12.2 #1.png
I didn’t have to go far to find the flocks of small birds again, still sticking to the areas where the holly understory provides some sort of shelter in this weather, and mixing in with the Tits and Nuthatches today were Goldcrests and Treecreepers.
Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Goldcrest with lunch.
Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Goldcrest with lunch.
Redwings were still foraging on the floor and out in the open parts of the forest I came across a small flock of Fieldfare, a bird I’ve seen very little of this winter.
12.2 #3.png
My trip was unfortunately cut short since I stupidly misjudged the depth of one of the many temporary streams and gave myself an icy booty, the air was turned particularly blue :lol: . The trudge home with a sodden, frozen foot was not a pleasant one!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of images Bugboy :D I love Redwings, beautifully marked birds and I'm left wondering what that one on the bottom left was looking at?

ps I hope the Cetti's has been welcomed back into the fold :? :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Loving these bird mosaics, Paul, even if obtaining them has brought you some pain and a little embarrassment.

Been there myself, although not in quite such cold conditions. 8)

If the weather forecast is to be believed, you won't have any such hazards from Saturday, and I expect plenty of us will see our first butterflies of the year. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”