Large Tortoiseshell- Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 9

Not long to go now! I reckon it'll only be another week and the Easter Eggs will be in the shops! :D :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Large Tortoiseshell- Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by downland boy »

I had only ever seen one Large Tortoiseshell before and that was a fleeting glimpse about 30 years ago in the Pyrenees. I was pleased to have my first UK encounter this summer, courtesy of a 'phone call from Badger Bob. He had found one very close to my old UKBMS transect route and I knew exactly where to go. Early the next morning I had this female to myself for a couple of hours.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Large Tortoiseshell (f) 15.6.2020  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, DB. This species does seem to be creeping back to Blighty. :)
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A trip to Portland to catch up with Grayling allowed me to drop in to Verne Hill Rd for possible Large Tortoiseshell. I wasn't disappointed.
17th July
17th July
17th July
17th July
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

David M wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:06 pm Fabulous, DB. This species does seem to be creeping back to Blighty. :)
Yes David, I agree that the UK status of this species is changing. I have always been very sceptical regarding the provenance of UK sightings over the years but the substantial spring migration events of 2019 and 2020 has rather changed my mind. Seeing polychloros this summer was easily my butterfly moment of the year, especially so as 3 weeks later I saw another one about a mile away from the first location! All the best, Nigel.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Nigel. There have been spring sightings for several years now - the Isle of Wight seemed to be a good spot in the early days. It was Will Langdon's discovery of larvae this summer though that confirmed that they are breeding, and these last 3 years or so have seen sightings from a wide area, so my confidence in its permanent return keeps growing. :)
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Do we know what it is breeding on - either here or in the parts of France where it most likely came from? Will's tweet doesn't say, though the host plant in the photos appears to be elm.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

David M wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm Thanks, Nigel. There have been spring sightings for several years now - the Isle of Wight seemed to be a good spot in the early days. It was Will Langdon's discovery of larvae this summer though that confirmed that they are breeding, and these last 3 years or so have seen sightings from a wide area, so my confidence in its permanent return keeps growing. :)
The early sightings were at Woodhouse Copse towards the east of the island. My wife had a fortuitously timed job interview there and we stayed at a hotel across the road for a couple of nights. I found no sign of the butterfly in the woods, but did record Bombus hypnorum new to the island, and ran into a then-regular UKB poster in the wood, the only time I have ever run into someone from here in the field.

Woodhouse Copse seems to have been forgotten about once sightings came in from elsewhere on the island - it's largely coniferised and not especially interesting for wildlife. I wonder if the butterfly is still around?
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

As far as I know Woodhouse Copse was purchased a few years ago by a private buyer and used as a bit of a dumping ground. Walters Copse to the west had a number of sightings for a few years and Matthew Oates had a good look for larvae after spotting a female in the locality with no success.
I cant find any sightings for the Isle of Wight in the Hants and IOW butterfly report since 2013?
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Has to be my favourite as it's the first I have ever seen. Aversley Wood, Cambs. April 15th
LT _0058.jpg
Tortoiseshell 0067.jpg
Restricted travel had it's advantages for me, I wouldn't normally visit this wood in spring even though it's just a short walk. Just a shame it got spooked by a Peacock and took flight up into the tree, It was sitting on the path right in front of me open wing when I first saw it, a second too slow with the camera :roll: The blur on the left of the first pic is the Peacock taking flight
David M

Post by David M »

The fact they are being recorded as far north as Cambs is what makes me confident that they are returning to the UK as a native species. It's no longer just pockets of the south coast so it's worth keeping an eye out for them in early to mid spring just about anywhere in the southern quarter of the country.
David M

Post by David M »

Stevieb wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:50 pmA trip to Portland to catch up with Grayling allowed me to drop in to Verne Hill Rd for possible Large Tortoiseshell. I wasn't disappointed.
...and my own trip to Verne Hill Road didn't disappoint either, Stevie, thanks to your location information, which was spot on down to a matter of yards. :)

Last time I had a UK 'first' was Chequered Skipper in 2014, so these events are particularly cherished:

July 22nd, Portland:
1LT1(1).jpg
1LT4(1).jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

In the south we may find in a few years that the Large Tortoiseshell is seen more often than the Small Tortoiseshell.

Return to “Large Tortoiseshell”