Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

So here we are, the first day of Advent and not long now until the obese man commits break and entering and reverse burglary :wink: Mind you certain retailers had the Xmas Decorations out 6 weeks ago :roll:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Stevieb

Re: Grizzled Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Stevieb »

Cotley Hill, Wiltshire always comes up trumps for Grizzies

13th May
13th May
David M

Post by David M »

Missed out on UK Grizzlies this year due to Covid restrictions. Both the sites where they are common nearest me were closed to visitors, but I at least had recompense with plenty of malvoides in the French Alps in early July:
1.Malvoides(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

At the outset of COVID restrictions I did worry that I might miss out on this species. However, things eased and though it was May rather than April when I found them, they were in all their usual haunts. Here's one from Denbies on 17th May.
GS3 170520.JPG
Dave
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Woodwalton Marsh, 13.05.20. There are only one or two seen here now. The management of the site has changed in recent years but I think they probably prosper on the railway embankment.
GRIZZLED SKIPPER _0068.jpg
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

17A67572-E912-469C-AE7D-A3B8BA0F1C77.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Grizzled Skipper was one of those spring species that I thought I would miss this year due to the travel restrictions. As it happened, they were lifted just in time for me to catch up with a couple during my trip to Bishops Hill in mid May.
Grizzled Skipper - Bishops Hill 18.05.2020
Grizzled Skipper - Bishops Hill 18.05.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grizzled Skipper

It was still early in the season when I chose my fave Grizzlie shot. The Blues were just arriving on the scene, more guidance had come out about ‘Exercise’ and so I’d visited Middle Street just over the ‘meadow’ from me. Whilst at the far end of the site away from the usual Hotspots I found first one and then a second Grizzlie! Getting a few shots I came away thinking that fresh Grizzlies a 10 minute walk away should surely be the ‘Fave of 2020’…

However then I visited my Duke site and at the side of the main track was sitting the even more obvious choice…a Grizzlie sitting atop a Dandelion Clock, a very welcome addition to possibly my smallest ‘collection’.
08-05-2020 1.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

So many Grizzled Skippers to choose from this year; I spent a lot of time with them. Golden hour in spring was my favourite time of the year :D
Grizzled Skipper, Pitt Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 25th April 2020
Grizzled Skipper, Pitt Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 25th April 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A few pictures of Kentish Grizzled Skippers ,i,ve tried to post pictures that i haven,t posted before .Grizzlies had an average showing
here last season ,and Dungeness was closed (Covid ) during most of their flight season so i never saw any there ,although the locals recorded a few.
I only managed to see one in Orlestone forest ,and only one or two were seen at Orlestone by others ,none at another local site near Shadoxhurst (think that times up for them now at this site ...........sadly ) , my closest site ,is scrubbing over ,badly now ,i had a couple of "guest"
trips with saws and secateurs etc to see if i could help things a bit ,my best visit count last year was only 8 ,down on 15 in 2019 and 18 in 2018 .
But i do still have one fairly good site ,which is still producing .
It will be very interesting to see what occurs in 2021. Regards Allan.W.
P1140196.JPG
P1140264.JPG
P1140754.JPG
P1130391.JPG
P1130783.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A lovely couple of abs at the end there, Allan!
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks Lee ! always pleased to find these little beauties ! Regards Allan.W.

Return to “Grizzled Skipper”