Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

So here we are, the first day of Advent and not long now until the obese man commits break and entering and reverse burglary :wink: Mind you certain retailers had the Xmas Decorations out 6 weeks ago :roll:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by millerd »

Just the one visit to Essex to see this species in 2020, combining it with nearby White-Letter Hairstreak sites. I went to Pound Wood this year, mostly as it was less of a detour off the route home, and also because it had been a few years since my last look at this spot. Warm light overcast prevailed (even a spot or two of rain) which proved ideal conditions as the butterflies (mostly rather new) basked on low vegetation, with good numbers in all the hotspot compartments. I've posted one of my favourite shots in the photo competition, so I'll choose a few notable others here.
underside
underside
heavily-marked male
heavily-marked male
male
male
female
female
A stunning butterfly when new, and quite variable too.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Very easy choice for me, I only found one individual this year in one of the Essex Woods right at the end of the flight period
Heath Fritillary.JPG
Better luck next year hopefully :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Like Dave, my only trip to see Heath Fritillary was to Pound Wood. The habitat work at this site has really paid dividends and when the sun appeared, the hotspots erupted. Heath Fritillary outnumbered the sum of all other butterflies many times over. There is no better example of how a rare butterfly can thrive if the habitat is correctly managed. Congratulations to those that have achieved this success.
Attachments
Heath Fritillary, Pound Wood, 7 June
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I found my Heath Fritillary In East Blean Woods Kent on the 11th July, It was unexpected, I thought at the time I'd missed them, so it was a great surprise when I was filming Gate Keepers for a couple of them to fly in and take centre stage :D
I went back to the Woods a couple of days later and they'd gone. Goldie :D
Attachments
C75B6D25-4048-49E9-B90C-3346FADF212D.jpeg
F08541E7-97E4-4FE3-BE69-C33ED6B347A4_1_201_a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:24 pmI found my Heath Fritillary In East Blean Woods Kent on the 11th July, It was unexpected, I thought at the time I'd missed them, so it was a great surprise when I was filming Gate Keepers for a couple of them to fly in and take centre stage
Glad to see you caught up with them, Goldie. I saw this species in France, but they are so common I scarcely bother with them. I'll have to attempt a half decent image in 2021 :)

Return to “Heath Fritillary”