Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 6

Where have the weeks gone? We're already on week 6 and almost through Lockdown 2.0 :?

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Grayling - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by bugboy »

I was very relieved to find that the fire on Chobham Common hadn't made it to where I usually go to find these guys but my favourite picture is from before the fire in July when I went on a recce to see if they were out, finding just a single male, here he is keeping a close eye on me :)
Grayling male, Chobham Common #3.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I don't believe that Graylings have ever been found in Warwickshire and further afield around the midlands they are pretty much restricted to the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire and a cluster of sites around the Long Mynd/Stiperstones/Stretton Hills area of Shropshire.

This is a species that I usually catch up with during one of our family holidays or breaks to Cornwall or Dorset and that was again the case this year when I found them during our week down on the Lizard in early August. They were flying around the cliffs to the south of Kynance Cove but I saw greater numbers in the vicinity of Enys Head to the south of Kennack Sands where I watched them during a couple of visits to this spot. They were difficult to approach and photograph on the steep grassy slopes here, especially in the warm afternoon sun. On the second visit on a cooler morning after some overnight rain, I observed a number of attempted courtships and managed to get a couple of shots which, although not my best of this species, were my favourites from this year.
Graylings - Enys Head, The Lizard 06.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I managed to find Graylings at three different spots (and in three different months) this year.

The first few were at Dawney's Hill in Surrey in early July. Despite this site no longer looking as good as it used to, the species hangs on there in reasonable numbers. This one just exemplifies the amazing camouflage in a dry sandy heathland setting
Dawney's Hill 11th July
Dawney's Hill 11th July
The second was from a visit to Arnside in August when I thought they might well be over for the year as they emerge early in this location. To be fair, this was the only one I saw.
Arnside, 10th August
Arnside, 10th August
Finally, encouraged by Bugboy's reassuring reports about Chobham Common, I visited this spot during the first week of September and found perhaps 30 individuals. This one was taking salts from a damp piece of moss, not something I've seen one do before.
Chobham Common 6th September
Chobham Common 6th September
Dave
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

The grayling was a new edition to my butterfly count this year. I was on a day trip to St. Abbs NNR and on the route back to the car this butterfly just flew up in front of me and luckily landed a couple of yards away. Managed a couple of photos which are attached. Hopefully see more next year!!!
Attachments
C98049E7-E35B-4665-B535-27E4F6A10F33.jpeg
8F8CAFD0-487C-48F7-954B-9AB1EB0A1F71.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Grayling

I had a memorable day out at Godshil looking for Grayling with Little L. We found a few Grayling, saw interesting plants like Cross-leafed Heath, Sundew and Bog Asphodel, enjoyed the intricate and minute beauty of Digger and Jewell Wasps as well enjoying the lazy warmth of a dry heathland. The highlight of the day however was one particular Grayling that took a liking to Little L. First it landed on her sleeve and then firmly affixed itself to her bright pink trainer. When we tried to leave it clung on for a fair few metres and it was getting to the point where I was worried that we might have to take it home! All the while Little L was ecstatic to have made a camouflaged friend.
11-07-2020 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Saw zillions of these in Spain in late summer, but my only UK ones were from the coast, a few miles away from where I live, in late July:
1.Grayling2(1).jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I didn't see that many Grayling in 2020; a few in Hampshire that didn't want to be photographed and a good quantity on a day trip to Dorset, where this was taken.
Grayling, King Barrow Quarry, Portland, Dorset, 19th July 2020
Grayling, King Barrow Quarry, Portland, Dorset, 19th July 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Grayling”