Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 5

Another dismal weekend weather wise; all the tall trees round my way are now denuded and even the smaller, more sheltered ones are starting to get their kit off now as well it looks like the season is finally drawing to a close :? But it's not all doom and gloom - here come the next selection of Favourites :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Duke of Burgundy - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by millerd »

The individual that sticks most in the mind was one seen on one of my first post-lockdown outings, which was to Ivinghoe on 15th May. It was a lovely coffee/caramel-coloured female, ab. gracilens.
DB3 150520.JPG
DB4a 150520.JPG
Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I found a colony near me in Winchester this year and this individual was from that location. There is another site in Winchester that has been purchased by the wildlife trust, with help from BC as I understand, which will hopefully secure its future locally.
Duke of Burgundy, Winchester, Hampshire, 9th May 2020
Duke of Burgundy, Winchester, Hampshire, 9th May 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

The only Dukes i saw this year were the small overlooked colony at Chapel Bank, we did get photos of a pairing too
DSC07956s.JPG
mvpike

Post by mvpike »

This unusual ab leucodes individual was a highlight for me seen on 25/5/20 at Ansty Down, Wilts.

Mark.
Attachments
Duke Of Burgundy ab. leucodes
David M

Post by David M »

Nice find, Mark. A most striking specimen.
Nigel P

Post by Nigel P »

Lucky to have a few small Dukes sites within walking distance of our house. So during the first lockdown this was where I headed for my permitted exercise, not only to see them, but to survey for numbers. My photo shows one that landed near when eating my lunch at the top of the hill.
Attachments
IMG_0880.JPG
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

My first trip out following the restrictions was on 15 May. I planned to visit three sites in the Chilterns so decided on an early start to miss the traffic and have a full day out. When I arrived at Totternhoe Quarry, there was still frost in the shadows, but it was already warm in the sunshine and I found the first Duke enjoying the sunshine just after 7. I saw good numbers of Dukes in the quarry and later at Ivinghoe Beacon, but the first sighting remains my favorite.
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy, Totternhoe Quarry, 17 May
Duke of Burgundy, Totternhoe Quarry, 17 May
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Duke of Burgundy

When choosing my favourite Duke I normally have a couple of options but I chose this one as it was taken at a new site for me. I’d seen Fovant Badges mentioned on the local branch sightings board for a few years now but I hadn’t twigged that the site was so close so this year when a mate from Instagram sent me (brilliant and accurate) directions and I checked them out I found that it was an 8 minute drive from my house! Dukes 8 minutes away!

On the day when I visited I was spoilt for choice with almost double figures of Dukes and we were still really early in the season. In the end it came down to this one as I feel that it’s one of the best closed wing shots that I’ve got of the species. Also it takes me back to the day and makes me remember how I became aware of this individual – it actually flew into me and perched on my jumper for a while before I was brave enough to offer it my finger and place it down on the ground from where it crawled and flew to a more comfortable position.
DSC_0951 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Saw several of this species on 15th May at Rodborough Common, Glos, including this mating pair:
1DoBpair1(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A couple of late ones from me ! a male and a female AB: leuocodes from a small colony ,here in Kent ,not quite as many
on this site in 2020 ,but still hanging on !
P1140402.JPG
P1140663.JPG
regards Allan.W.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Largely missed out on Dukes last year probably in large part to curbing my travelling due to covid. Normally I would go to Butser Hill, plus both Bentley and a site near Tidworth would see me getting a few. This one was taken at Noar Hill on a bright and hot day a the end of May.
IMG_8564 Hamearis lucina, Duke of Burgundy t.jpg
Phil
Butterflyboy

Post by Butterflyboy »

I unfortunately never saw a duke of burgundy in 2020 but I did see my first one in 2021
seen here at gait barrows mid 2021
-Butterfly boy
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Butterflyboy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:07 pm I unfortunately never saw a duke of burgundy in 2020 but I did see my first one in 2021
Great picture, love the composition :). If you wait until the end of the season we do a favourite picture for each species. Wurzel organises. We do 3 species a week so it spreads it out over the winter and keeps us all sane when there's no butterflies to chase :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Butterflyboy

Post by Butterflyboy »

bugboy wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:24 am
Butterflyboy wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:07 pm I unfortunately never saw a duke of burgundy in 2020 but I did see my first one in 2021
Great picture, love the composition :). If you wait until the end of the season we do a favourite picture for each species. Wurzel organises. We do 3 species a week so it spreads it out over the winter and keeps us all sane when there's no butterflies to chase :)
thanks, that's sounds great, it means I can probably remember the species better when it comes back to summer, as over the winter not thinking about butterflies means that I often can't remember certain species when I come back, it'd be nice to see see everyone's images of a species on one certain site! :D
-Butterfly boy

Return to “Duke of Burgundy”