Common Blue - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

Lockdown take 2 :? :( So to cheer you up here's the next selection of Favourite Photos :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to select your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now so that you’ve got something to post when the series of threads culminates in 20 weeks time…

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Common Blue - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by bugboy »

So I've been pretty good at sticking to just one image so far but I just can't decide for this one. The stand out encounter for these was the huge mass emergence at Mill Hill in September and it's three images from that day that I've managed to whittle it down too. The first simply for comedic value, the male sneaking up to try his chances on what was a roosting female, he got nowhere :lol:
Common Blue courting, Mill Hill,  Shoreham #1.JPG
and a couple to illustrate the numbers on the day
Common Blue's, Mill Hill, Shoreham #1.JPG
Common Blue's, Mill Hill, Shoreham #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

A first brood mating pair from the Lincolnshire Wolds:
Common Blue mating pair.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took my two photos at Brockholes CP Preston on the 20th May, when I arrived there the car park was closed so I'd to park on the lane , lots of cars had done the same but I was lucky as all the people had left their cars so I'd the lane to myself, what a year!!!!! talk about dodging the crowds :D Goldie :D
Attachments
0739467C-23AB-4754-8FDD-9213E9746D6E_1_201_a.jpeg
CF27A34D-5376-4F8C-993C-089DE7966BC8_1_201_a.jpeg
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

Here is a mixture from north of the border. The photo from fallin Bing on 6th July I thought was worth showing despite the butterfly being a bit tatty as it included burnet moths one of which had very pale spots
Attachments
Drum castle, Deeside 26th July
Drum castle, Deeside 26th July
Fallin Bing 10th July
Fallin Bing 10th July
Fallin Bing 7th July
Fallin Bing 7th July
Fallin Bing 7th July
Fallin Bing 7th July
Fallin Bing 6th July
Fallin Bing 6th July
Bridge of Don, Aberdeen 23rd June
Fallin Bing nr Stirling 19th june
Fallin Bing nr Stirling 19th june
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A good year on Bewley Common and Beacon Hill in Wiltshire. Some lovely female variations observed.
IMG_4158 (2).JPG
IMG_5244 (6).JPG
IMG_3104 (3).JPG
IMG_2735 (2).JPG
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

This species seemed to do pretty well this year and especially so in my garden. I have selected one from my garden, taken early in the morning on 2 June and another from my garden taken in the late evening on 30 July. Both are "blue" females, that I think are possibly the most exotic of our UK butterflies.
Attachments
Common Blue, garden 2 June
Common Blue, garden 2 June
Common Blue, garden 30 July
Common Blue, garden 30 July
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

After a very poor showing of the first brood locally (mid-Kent ) this season ,the second(and third !) brood performed much better
I actually saw many more Brown Argus ,than Common Blue in the first brood .Some glorious females were found ,with more "brown " specimens than in recent seasons .I was also lucky enough to find 6 pairs and one nice minor abberrant male.
These were all taken within my local "lockdown " circuit.
P1160206.JPG
P1160024.JPG
P1200371.JPG
P1220798.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

My first Common Blue, on 9th May, was a female....and a stunning one:
1CBfemups3(1).jpg
Later that month, I was photographing another very blue specimen when this male suddenly appeared:
1CBpair(1).jpg
I was also delighted with this 3rd brood male (a rarity in south Wales) found on the Gower coast on 27th September:
2.CBups(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I didn't see too many Common Blues in 2020 - this female was the pick of them.
Chilcompton, Somerset.  16 May 2020.
Chilcompton, Somerset. 16 May 2020.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Common Blues had a bit of a mixed year around my patch. Below average numbers of spring brood were followed by a better second brood at some, but not all local spots. Unlike more favoured areas down south, I did not find a single third brood locally although I did see one or two reported from elsewhere in Warwickshire.

To my mind a nice fresh male rivals any of the other blues with its attractive metallic turquoise blue sheen.
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 17.07.2020
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 17.07.2020
I saw a good variety of female forms including these seen on the same day,
Common Blue female - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
I also came across at least a dozen pairs in cop including this pair nicely posed on top of an Ox-eye Daisy.
Common Blue pair - Blythe Valley 29.05.2020
Common Blue pair - Blythe Valley 29.05.2020
And finally, good numbers were flying down on the Lizard during the week we spent there in early August.
Common Blue - Enys Head, The Lizard 06.08.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely selection, Neil, especially that last female with the delicate blue dusting extending to the abdomen. :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

The Common Blue had an excellent year on my local patch, with numbers exceeding those for 2019 in all three broods. It was the third commonest butterfly seen in my counts, beaten only by the Meadow Brown and Small White. Elsewhere, Mill Hill in Sussex stood out with an exceptionally numerous third brood. Choosing favourites is not an easy task, but one or two stood out.

There were a huge variety of blue females everywhere, something which I'm sure is becoming commoner. When very fresh, these are among the most attractive butterflies around.
Staines Moor 19th July
Staines Moor 19th July
I could post many more... :)

Amongst the slightly more unusual was a nice fresh example of ab. flavescens - with the underside marginal lunules being pale yellow instead of orange-red. This crops up regularly on my local patch.
Local patch near Heathrow 29th July
Local patch near Heathrow 29th July
Also seen, curiously in two different places on consecutive days, were these examples lacking the underside cell spot that is diagnostic for the species in European locations where it may be confused with similar blues.
Local patch near Heathrow 16th September
Local patch near Heathrow 16th September
Denbies Hillside 17th September
Denbies Hillside 17th September
Finally, I had to include a stunningly bright and new third brood male from Mill Hill. The depth of colour is unusual, admittedly enhanced a bit by the fact it was later in the day.
Mill Hill 22nd September
Mill Hill 22nd September
Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Wow - some beautiful Common Blues here.

I had a good year with this species too. There are too many photos to choose from, so I will stick with one of the last ones I saw, a pristine third brood female, in October. My first Common Blues of the year were a mating pair at Magdalen on 26th April, very nearly six months earlier.
Common Blue, female, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 11th October 2020
Common Blue, female, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 11th October 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Common Blue

This was taken at Middle Street one of my Early haunts and one which came into its own during the restricted access to the outdoors at Lockdown progressed. It was also my first of the year and I chose it as it deemed to take a wander onto my finger when I offered it and so found a place into my ‘Butterflies in the hand collection’ and what a cracking addition it was. The ‘Common’ part of their common name just doesn’t do them justice!
12-05-2020 4.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I photographed so many Common Blues in 2020 it is difficult to pick a favourite. Although seemingly more prevalent these days than the brown form, this blue female is a cracker :)
IMG_5888 Polyommatus icaurs, Common Blue (blue female), Box Hill t m.jpg
Phil

Return to “Common Blue”