Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

I love the contrast between the female and male DGFs there Wurzel. They could almost be different species. :) Martin Down is such a great spot, and definitely not one to visit when you have time constraints. I had my first ever trip there on my way down to Somerset to see a friend and managed to arrive at my final destination two hours later than expected... :roll:

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Wonderful image of the mating ' Smessex ', Wurzel.
And I'm :mrgreen: envious of your constant DGF shots,
mainly because I didn't see a single one this year!.

Your retrospective reports are making me yearn for Summer again.

Looking forward to your take on our visit to Shipton B. sometime.

Stay safe & well,
Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi Wurzel

I'm catching up with peoples diaries. Your turn.

You've been doing well. Love the open wing and finger shots of the PStreak. The mating skippers. The Stag Beetle...

And of course Sally the Snail. :D
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I know what you mean but having to get back is good for me, otherwise I'd be there until the early evening waiting for the butterflies to roost, then into the wee small hours looking for Barn Owls etc and of course then I'd have to stay for the dawn chorus and then well blow me, the butterflies have woken up! :lol: My photo might well end up on the side of a milk carton :?
Cheers Trevor :D I did make a few more forays to Martin Down and so there may be a few more DGFs so you might want to look away in some future posts :wink: I'm working on the posts - but work keeps getting in the way - hopefully the post in question will be out in 2020... :roll: :lol:
Cheers Ernie :D Sally did hold a special place as I'd found shells of her cousins before a Hutchinson's Bank but never seen one on it's foot before :D 8)

Garston Wood 07-09-2020

With marking done and the next sets of remote lessons prepared and uploaded my thoughts turned to lunch and the possibly of combining the days exercise (yep still on that one – I’m used to doing about 11000 steps a day during a normal days work so to go from that to sitting on my bed played havoc with my legs) with a picnic lunch before returning to face the next onslaught of electronic marking. So my wife packed a lunch and sorted the drinks out whist the girls finished up their ‘lessons’ and pretty soon we were pulling into the car park at Garston Wood. Having been in the ‘Bubble’ the day before it was typical that today the weather had turned for the worst. Gone was the glorious sun and mini heatwave, gone the sky of blue and the faintest of wisps of cloud. Instead it was dull grey and despite the thermometer telling me that the temperature was high enough for it to be considered ‘warm’ the slight cling of moisture in the air and the threat of rain/drizzle made it feel much cooler – so much so that a jumper was required.
As we strolled along the bottom things were very quiet – the damper weather dampening the spirits of the butterflies but I scanned among the Bracken just in case anything was sitting waiting for the return of the sun. This paid off in a short while as I thought I saw a Green-veined White a little way away. However when I got bit nearer I could see that my supposition was incorrect and it was in fact a slightly worn Black Arches which was sitting in such a way as to reveal the pink marks along the abdomen, something I’d not seen before.
09-07-2020 1.JPG
After this we trailed round to the large log so we could have our lunch with nary a butterfly to be seen. It was strange after the encounters that I’d had here recently for it to be this quiet. As we reached the log the threatened rain arrived but luckily the canopy offered enough cover that we didn’t notice and with lunch eaten I was feeling a little more hopeful as the rain seemed to have washed away a little of the cloud; the merest hint of sun was creeping through and it started to actually feel as warm as the thermometer suggested. With the rising temperatures finally some butterflies took to the air. Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers started crawling out the tussocks of grass and the Bramble enclaves and round near the White Admiral spot a Comma basked for all it was worth on a Bramble leaf.
09-07-2020 3.JPG
09-07-2020 4.JPG
Even though the butterflies were flying I was a little too busy just walking and talking with my girls and before I realised we were almost through the Plantation and back at the car! Luckily my wife wanted to look at some of the flowers so I had a couple of minutes of reprieve. I hurried through the shortcut from the Plantation and out onto the main path. The usual suspects were about – Skippers, Gatekeeper, Meadow Browns, Specklies and as well as a few tired looking Marbled Whites plenty of Ringlets. One in particular caught my eye as instead of the set of concentric circles which give the species its common name there were little pinpricks of white – it was an ab.arete. Chuffed with this last minute find I re-joined my girls and we completed the walk and made for home.
09-07-2020 5.JPG
The weather cools down
The butterflies hide away
Not the arête though!

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That has to be the best example of that particular ab. I've seen, Wurzel; the butterfly looks really new too. It's also a very "Ringlet" pose, with the sun in and raindrops on the leaf all around it.

A very nice find all round. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Very nice shot of the Ringlet ab. Wurzel :mrgreen: :D

Have another :mrgreen: for the Black Arches, one I have yet to get in my garden trap although I know of people not far away who have had them.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I was chuffed with that shot - it made up for the miserable weather. I found a few more over the year and there's another great one coming up from Alners Gorse soon :wink:
Cheers Neil :D Black Arches are a cracking looking moff, I'd not seen the little pink dots on them before though...there's always something new to observe 8)

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse 10-07-2020
Part 1
It had been several years since my last visit to Alners Gorse but over that time I’ve kept my eye on the sightings that would come in from the site and I noticed in successive years they had one of, if not the earliest sightings of Brostreaks. I’d also noticed that Whitters, Valesina and Purple Hairstreaks had been recently recorded and so when deciding where to head next my thoughts erred towards Dorset. With the weather report looking a bit ropey but a ringing endorsement from the Oracle I set off under leaden skies heading hopefully towards a tiny blue patch of sky away to the west.

I was a bit surprised when I arrived on site to find the car park and the verge almost full with cars and even more surprised when I spied no-one else on the walked down the hill and only a couple of people in the far left corner by the gate. Where all the hoards were would eventually become apparent but nor now I didn’t mind in the slightest as it felt like I had the whole reserve to myself. Along the way I encountered a few Meadow Browns and Ringlets that had come out in the gloom (I’d missed the blue sky patch it seemed) and as I passed the Oak which was ringed in Brambles I met a few other enthusiasts eagerly surveilling the tops of the border trees. After a few pleasantries I carried on following the hedge deeper into the site and looking for clumps of brambles and flowers amid the grasses. There was a definite brightening, the clouds now taking on a whiter tone and with the increasing light intensity more and more butterflies were starting to fly. By the time I’d reached the newly cleared woodland towards the back of the site I’d picked up Smessex and Large Skippers as well as Hedgies a plenty and a few fluttery Whites. In this new clearing (the last time I’d been here it had been impenetrable coniferous woodland) the sun broke through momentarily and a Marbled White led me across the intermittently tussocky ground to a stand of bramble. Large and Small Whites were present but there were 4 or 5 Silver-washed that really caught the eye.
10-07-2020 1.JPG
10-07-2020 2.JPG
10-07-2020 3.JPG
10-07-2020 4.JPG
10-07-2020 5.JPG
By now the sky was unfolding like the introduction to the Simpsons and so I hurried back to the hedge and the Oaks that I’d started at. The other two enthusiasts are there also and so all three of us adopt the Hairstreak searchers pose – standing stock still, head crammed back into your spine and conversing without looking anywhere but at the tree tops. A few Hairstreak like butterflies make a foray of two from the main hedge to the free standing Oaks and vice versa and a couple of Ringlets and Hedgies try and catch us out but they don’t fly high enough, look square cut enough nor jink properly. One Purp does flutter around slightly lower which draws our attention away from the hedge and towards the Oak behind us. It’s the one that’s ringed at its base in bramble and while our scrutiny is side-tracked I have a proper look at this. A Red Admiral is sunning itself and numerous Hedgies have taken up residence; so many in fact that it’s become something of a Gatekeeper High Rise. While we continue our scanning one of the smaller grey butterflies drifts down and eventually lands on the Bramble. It slowly opens up and the third enthusiast who’s a regular stands aside and let enthusiast number 2 (who turned out to be John) and myself in one the butterfly. It’s a Purple Hairstreak, slightly worn in that it looks a paler, more faded grey but the purple flashes were still in really good nick and they glimmered in the morning sun.
10-07-2020 6.JPG
10-07-2020 7.JPG
10-07-2020 9.JPG
After a short bask she must have warmed sufficiently as she made off up into the Oak sitting high up on a leaf and then peering down and inspecting us. As she’d made her move so did I and wishing Enthusiast 3 well John and I headed off deeper into the reserve towards some of the prime spots that John knew about and ultimately making for the ‘Banks’ at the far end of the reserve. Our trail takes us past most of the prime sites but all was quiet so on we went, leaving the diamond of the reserve behind and walking through grass lined paths and mixed woodland. The expected butterflies all fly and the highlights are a super fresh Specklie and the numerous Silver-washed Frits.

When we reach the gateway into the large field and the hedge which is termed ‘the banks’ there’s a bit of a queue which explained the numerous cars I’d seen on my arrival. Everyone was as clustered as Social Distancing would allow around the one tall bramble bush that is growing up and over the gate post before merging with the hedge. It’s quite amazing to watch groups of people stepping forward, staring intently at a piece of hedge and then stepping aside before re-joining the queue at the back. Once John and I had negotiated the Holly Blue that had decided to come down to the deck we were able to pass through the gate and see what everyone had been queuing for. As I scanned the bush I checked and ticked off the species - a beautiful male Beautiful Demoiselle – if I reached the front of the queue in time that would be a first but worth all the excitement? A Green-veined White and a Large White – doubtful. Gatekeeper – not unless it was an aberrant. Peacocks – flashy, stunning, beautiful, conceited, narcissistic – whatever you think about them they’re not really worth forming a queue for. Could it be one of the Silver-washed that were using the Bramble like an ‘all you can eat’ Buffet? Very possibly…and in fact definitely and I could see why. Among the bright ginger males and the more muted ‘orange with a hint of green’ females there was a striking Valesina. At first glance she appears almost monochrome but as she turns purples and blues cascade across the surfaces of her wings. She is very flighty, much more agitated than the others and is often further back in the hedge, within the shade or under the leaves using them as parasols. These quirks in behaviour should make her an annoying subject, but only add to her allure. I can almost understand the queuing for a brief uninterrupted moment with her more than makes up for the loss of butterflying time.
10-07-2020 10.JPG
10-07-2020 14.JPG
10-07-2020 15.JPG
10-07-2020 16.JPG

Looking for Hairstreaks
Amid Dorsets’ hidden gem
Greenish takes top spot!

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, that was worth queuing for, Wurzel! And worth a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: as well. Lovely shots of that valesina female. :) Is it right that the site is known for them (which would explain the popularity)?

After that butterfly gem, the stonking "normal" SWF female and a nice Purple Hairsteak too, I wonder what you are waiting to serve up in Part Two...

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Superb female Silver Washed shots, Wurzel, both normal and valesina.
Another great report from the peak of Summer.

Stay safe,
Trevor.

PS. I was treated to a wonderful ' festive' display in the garden centre the other day :(
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Dave :D In part 2 I morphed into a Victorian collector minus net and pins as there were plenty of aberrants about :D Alners Gorse is a good spot for Greenish but to be honest I've never been there that early in the season and also I never knew that the Banks existed until this trip :shock: :D
Cheers Trevor :D It went a bit cloudy later but some aberrants came out :D I didn't like to mention that one of my local supermarkets had already stacked the Christmas shelves on Saturday - we haven't even had Halloween yet :roll: :evil:

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yep, pristine female Walls and father Christmas in the same week doesn't gel somehow.
It's two fingers to the ad men who want me to get excited about Christmas this early.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse 10-07-2020

Part 2

John heads back to try and recover his lens hood and the ‘party’ move on as well so it’s just me and another bloke (who it turns out is from near to where I grew up in Poole) left to the Banks. The Valesina comes and goes, numerous Silver-washed vie for our attention including a pair in cop. Once John has returned, unfortunately empty handed, I make my way back into the reserve to try and catch up with more Hairstreaks. I find a couple near the Hotspot tree which had been pointed out to me earlier but both are up high, topping up their tans whilst the sun is still showing through the cloud. Among the Specklies and other Browns the main highlight of my wander back to the main hedge is another Valesina. I was watching a Hedgie as it fluttered down low in a Bramble. As it passed a little ‘alcove’ in the bush one of the leaves caught my eye. It was moving incorrectly for it to be the slight breeze that was gently playing over the bushes. It was also the wrong colour and shape. I looked a little more closely and realised it was a Valesina. They really are remarkable creatures; so different on their topsides that they could be easily mistaken for a different species like black Leopards being called Panthers, but now I was able to see the difference in the underside as well, something I hadn’t appreciated fully before. She fluttered about striking various poses but never quite sitting square-on. I didn’t mind though as with these shots, combined with those from earlier I now had the full Valesina repertoire.
10-07-2020 17.JPG
10-07-2020 18.JPG
10-07-2020 19.JPG
10-07-2020 21.JPG
I carried on after this leaving her in pace and followed the border hedge into the bottom corner. This is prime Hairstreak territory and in the past I’ve found both Brostreaks and Whitters here, on one notable occasion both species were in shot and forming a triumvirate with a Meadow Brown. However today there is only a Purp and they’re up too high for my lens to get anything sensible. I stare at the hedge and surrounding tree tops while I drink a coffee and have lunch but apart from Peacocks and various Browns the only other butterflies of note here are the Smessex Skippers. Lunch finished I had a choice to make – stay in one place and wait for the sun to come back out of hiding or have a bit of an explore while the cloud held the butterflies back…I plumbed for the latter reasoning that it would be good use of the down time, I’d get a feel for the place ready for subsequent visits plus I was sure I’d hear the clicks of cameras and sighs of pleasure should a Whitter or Brostreak turn up. So I started retracing my footsteps which led me to opposite corner of this diamond shaped site, working along the edges I pass the ‘hotspot’ tree which now holds2 fewer Purp than earlier and there are Browns and Whites about including a couple more Marbled Whites that had been noticeable by their absence since my first forays of the morning.
10-07-2020 24.JPG
More stuff starts turning up once I start walking to the 3rd edge probably driven out of hiding by the occasional breaks in the cloud when the sun was able to blast down. There were a few more Peacocks, a lovely female Brimstone and a couple of ‘abs’. As well as a wing damaged Hedgie one individual had only one pupil apiece in its eyes. I’ve found one of these before but have been hoping to catch up with another for some time. There was also an ab.arete Ringlet. Writing this now, several months since the day and with the season drawing to a close I can appreciate how common this aberration can be as I’ve seen 4 or 5 of them this year from different sites. This one however was by far the best with the tiniest markings. Even better than this it as a female so when she opened up during a break in the cloud instead of the usual ‘eyes/rings’ on the topside there were a few white pinpricks.
10-07-2020 26.JPG
10-07-2020 27.JPG
10-07-2020 28.JPG
10-07-2020 29.JPG
10-07-2020 30.JPG
10-07-2020 31.JPG
10-07-2020 33.JPG
Chuffed I thought about making my way home as by now I’d reached the final corner of the diamond and the straight , wide track that lay ahead of me was tempting me up the hill. I debated about just popping back to the Hairstreak patch and doing one last check for Brostreaks or Whitters but a couple that had only just left there informed me as they passed by that they’d only seen the one Purp there. As I watched them go and readied myself to follow suit John arrived and so we walked and talked up the hill to the cars. He’d still recovered his lens hood but hoped to find it as he was coming back in a few days. I wish I was!

As the day wore on
Aberrants became the norm
No more Hairstreaks though

Have a goodun

Wurzel

P.S.John did go back a few days later and there was his lens hood, sitting atop the gate post; we’re a nice bunch us butterfliers! :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Another beautiful valesina, Wurzel. What stunning butterflies they are. More of these, I think... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) The various abs are interesting too - considering the Hedgies probably reached three figures at the height of their season on some days on my local patch, I saw very little variation at all. The Ringlet is a corker as well - I've seen an arete in the past, but not the upperside. :)

Happy summer days... 8) :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You're rubbing the valesina's in a bit Wurzel. :mrgreen:
Especially painful as I have not seen one since 2011.
Great to see though, and it's the hope of finding one that will sent me out again in 2021.
I also look forward to more Ringlet ab's .next year.

Keep safe and well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I was chuffed with the topside ab.arete but possibly more so with the single pupil Hedgie - I've wanted a decent one of those for a few years now :D The funny thing was I saw all of those aberrants and a few more I've didn't include pretty much one after the other :shock: Before that I had one Hedgie excessa for the whole season :roll:
Cheers Trevor :D Sorry I don't mean to rub it in, there's only one more set of shots to come and in those it's looking a little shabby :wink:

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, just coming up for air at present, :D I love the shots of the Valasina :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've only seen one once and my shots weren't very good because the Butterfly was at the base of a tree in the bushes :D plus the fact I wasn't use to the camera then :lol: excuse's ,excuse's, :lol:

No nearer to selling the Bungalow yet but things are bad here with the Virus so the viewings have stopped :( It's given me a chance to get rid of some rubbish so some things are moving if not me :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to hear that you're keeping busy Goldie :D My wife is trying to get me to buy some paint so that "I've got something to do" shuld we go into another Lockdown :?

Wilton Garden Centre and Godshill 11-07-2020

It was a weird morning as it was almost as if nothing was wrong? We parked in the Wilton Shopping Villages’ car park and then walked to the garden centre though the dappled shade of the early morning sun. The reason for our early bird antics was so we would be first the queue as other shopper would have to park before lining up to be let in. As we waited I checked out the Buddleia near the exit gate and I was delighted to see 2 Red Admirals and a Peacock up high. Getting shots of them both proved difficult as they both fed on the large spray of Buddleia and so getting both in focus was very tricky and made even harder as they kept moving around. As is often the way the fresher and so more attractive Admiral was the most awkward. After a bit they seemed to have their fill and split apart to find different basking places. The slightly worn individual landed even closer on one of the signs attached to the gate whereas the ’looker’ was off sitting at the top of the entrance to the centre all the way over on the other side of the car park.
11-07-2020 1.JPG
11-07-2020 2.JPG
As we wandered in our slightly befuddled and confused manner; can’t get used to this ‘going to normal shops malarkey’, we were accompanied by a few more Admirals with three in the outdoor aisles with a fourth inside above the gloves and hats along with a Peacock. Once we left I had to pass the Buddleia again and now it played host to a Meadow Brown within range, a Comma much further back and only obtainable by a little, light trespass as well as a Peacock still up high and a Red Admiral down low…near and far, high and low, I’m sure there’s a song in there somewhere? There were a few more on the short walk back to the car but to be honest I wasn’t paying attention as I contemplated a morning in.
11-07-2020 4.JPG
After lunch Little L surprised me by asking if we could go out somewhere for a walk and it seemed to be the perfect day for Grayling so we set off to Godshill. We cut across the Cricket pitch and navigated our way through the wall of Gorse with Little L loving the soft, springy sandy track, the Ponies and Cows in the distance and the view itself down the valley from the top of the track before it spilt down the hill taking us with it in ever lengthening strides as gravity took over. Once down safely we wandered along various trackways, talking as we walked all the while keeping our eyes peeled for our target. We cover the ground to the apex of the triangle and then mooch around in the further fields of heather steering clear of the Ponies and Cows and while we manage to find both a male and female Silver Stud, a brace of Small Coppers, numerous Meadow Browns and Hedgies we draw a blank with the Grayling. A Peacock and Dark Green Fritillary do fly-bys, a few Small Heath appear now and again; their orange colour making them really stand out against the browns and greys of the heath. More and more Meadow Browns are flying and every Gorse seems to hold at least a couple of Hedgies as we wander onwards but the only thing which I train my lens at is an odd looking Meadow Brown – odd in that it seemed to have gotten into a bit of a muddle when closing its wings as one is bent back against the other.
11-07-2020 5.JPG
When our meanderings had brought us back to the ‘Hotspot’ track a Grayling finally flies by but it was going so quickly and so erratically that I couldn’t follow it as it glided up and over the ever encroaching Bracken. Still at least it was on the yearly Tally and so under Little L’s instructions we followed the track back and set up a little camp for her in the shade under a stand of tall Gorse. As she settled down to read I scampered off across the dry Heather, the scritch and scratch sound of it against my jeans as I passed as familiar as an old friend. I get right to the top of the hill were the mess of mud and clay indicate the birth of the spring and now with muddy boots I zig-zag my way back down; partly trying to cover as much ground as possible and partly because I was following a Small Copper that was trying to take evasive manoeuvres. While I was stalking the Copper another Silver-stud passed by but I tried to stick with my quarry but it didn’t end as I’d hoped and so I got back to seeking Grayling.

I was almost at the bottom of the hill when my second Grayling pops up from a spot that I’d previously scrutinised and I follow it all the way back up the hill where it precedes to jink round a bush and disappear. Finally on the next descent a third Grayling plays ball…eventually. It went up at first and each subsequent flight got shorter and shorter until eventually it was only a few steps away. It’s in a cracking position for a lovely shot…and then another flies in and they off they both go so no decent shots, just records. This was getting a bit silly now, it must have been too hot so they were charging about all over the place so dejectedly I decide to cut my losses, collect Lottie and lead home. This was when a Grayling popped up and behaved really well. It felt like I’d gone form the frustrating to the sublime and then to the ridiculous as this one sits out in the pen and then perches on my jeans. Once I’ve ‘de-Graylinged’ myself and its sitting down on the deck I call Little L over and it behaves so nicely that she managed to get a few shots on my iPod, with the camera only an inch away from the butterfly!
11-07-2020 6.JPG
11-07-2020 7.JPG
11-07-2020 8.JPG
So that’s where they disappear too!
So that’s where they disappear too!
11-07-2020 11.JPG
11-07-2020 13.JPG
11-07-2020 15.JPG
As we go start to make a move it circles us and lands on Little L’s leg, then her arm where it samples a bit of sweat and after its filled up on salts it flies back and this time lands on her shoe. We want to head home but the butterfly won’t leave us and after 5 steps it still clinging onto Little L’s shoe. When it does lose its purchase it starts to follow, flying ahead and landing on the deck for us to walk past it before flying ahead again, I was thinking that at this rate we might have adopted a new pet. Luckily it gets the message and after one last quick circle round us it disappears amid the greys and browns of the heather.
11-07-2020 17.JPG
11-07-2020 19.JPG
On the walk back we turned out attention to various other bits and bobs. There were the ponies which Little L was pretty enamoured with, all the usual butterfly suspects flew about us; amid the Gorse it was mainly Hedgies and in amongst the Heather it was Meadow Browns but a Peacock livened things up. On the way down we’d noticed a congregation of small holes burrowed into the sand so on the way up we stopped for a sort while to watch and wait and see whether we could spot what had made them. In a very short time something landed and I think it’s a Digger Wasp (Cerceris rybyensis). The something really brightened up the day, a tiny jewel wasp glittered as the sun struck it. The minute I saw it I realised that I’d not encountered this species before as it divided up into bands of metallic green and red – a beautiful little fella, Hedychrum aureicolle – cracking! Nearer the top of the hill anther spring broke free from its geological confines collecting in the peat/hummus and trapped by clay and it seemed that even the plants wanted to get it on the spectacular stakes; Sundew and Bog Asphodel looked eerily alien and striking respectively.
11-07-2020 20.JPG
11-07-2020 22.JPG
By the time we got back to the car Little L was tired from the hill climbing but had been wowed by the stunning gems of the natural world – a brilliant afternoon!

A dusty heathland
Holds a cryptic character
The sneaky Grayling

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great evocation of the antics of the Grayling, Wurzel! Once they've found you they can be very hard to shake off...I've never inadvertently brought one home, but it can only be a matter of time. :) That jewel wasp is an exquisite little creature (as many wasps are - it's the common variety that gives them all a bad name). Are they associated with sandy heathland? I ask as that's the sort of habitat where I've spotted them in the past (Chobham Common).

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great Grayling shots!, with some backdrops where they can't blend in and ' disappear '.
Stunning colours on that Jewel Wasp, never seen one before.

Stay well,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”