millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Dave, I used to be very keen on vintage aircraft in my youth.
The plane on the left is a Harvard. This particular one is used as the training aircraft for pilots of the Hurricane (on the right). They are part of the Shuttleworth Collection, based at Old warden, Bedfordshire.
Hurricane: https://www.shuttleworth.org/news/r4118/
Harvard: https://www.shuttleworth.org/news/newco ... n-harvard/

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The invisible line shot made me chuckle Dave - they also seem to be doing their best not to look at each other either, if they can't see it then there ain't a problem :D That Small White made me do a double check of it's wing-tips - if they'd been a bit darker and extended down the wing a little more I'd almost have gone for Southern Small :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Still plenty to see around your way Dave.
I've been cheating and visiting a garden with plenty of nectar.

On another matter, we get an almost daily fly past from a Spitfire.
Here is a distant shot of it today.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1240330.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you for the aircraft info, Vince - fascinating. I thought the one on the right was a Hurricane, but had no idea what the other one was at all. I knew someone on here would know something! :)

Cheers, Wurzel. Those Coppers were great to watch - the moment the nearer of the two flew ahead, the other one was after it in a flash and they disappeared off round a wide loop at top speed before returning separately to similar positions. Meanwhile, not far away, that female was ignoring the male antics and getting on with egg-laying.

I wondered about that Small White too(which is why I included it). It's a pity the photo wasn't a bit better. Of course, the main SSW foodplant (iberis sempervivens) grows wild on the Chilterns apparently...

Yes, things have by no means finished round here, Trevor, but last week I did venture down to Sussex quite a bit. :)

Monday 21st September. The equinox already, but another day more resembling summer than autumn. Rather than go to Brighton again, I decided to make the shorter trip to Mill Hill, always a good spot for late-season butterfly bounty. Three species in particular grabbed the attention - third brood Walls, Clouded Yellows, and the extraordinary numbers of third brood Common Blues.

I found good numbers of Walls, including examples of both sexes, at various points across the whole site. As usual they were not easy to approach.
Wall2 210920.JPG
Wall6 210920.JPG
Wall8 210920.JPG
Wall10 210920.JPG
Wall9 210920.JPG
I found one unfortunate curiosity. I had seen what appeared to be a couple of the species courting, and then one of the pair flew off. Zoning in on where the other one seemed to be, I found a female Wall which had lost both wings on one side rendering it unable to fly.
Wall5 210920.JPG
I have no idea how it came to be in this predicament, but if a male does find it and succeed in mating, it may be able to crawl to a suitable spot to lay a few eggs. Nature does have cruel moments. There was one individual I did get quite close to for a shot of that beautifully intricate underside.
Wall1 210920.JPG
The meadow areas all along the top of the hillside, especially those near both car parks, were alive with Common Blue butterflies - they almost certainly numbered into three figures and most seemed to be fresh. The variety amongst the females was amazing - no two were the same.
CB pair1 210920.JPG
CB1 210920.JPG
CB4 210920.JPG
CB5 210920.JPG
CB7 210920.JPG
CB8 210920.JPG
However, a lot of my energies today were expended in the traditional sport here of chasing Clouded Yellows. As with the other two species, they were widespread, but flew faster, longer and overall less accessibly. At least there were quite a few to choose from, and I amused myself once again in trying to get a few shots of their uppersides in flight as they whizzed past tantalisingly close.
CY4 210920.JPG
CY5 210920.JPG
CY8 210920.JPG
CY2 210920.JPG
I did take some more traditionally posed shots as well.
CY3 210920.JPG
CY6 210920.JPG
CY11 210920.JPG
CY1 210920.JPG
CY7a 210920.JPG
I also encountered Dave Cook enjoying the late season butterfly spectacle, and we spent a considerable while chewing the fat amidst the blues and yellows as they gradually thought about settling down and roosting. Good to see you again, Dave. :)

An excellent day, and I decided it would be worth repeating on the Tuesday to make the most of the last day of summery weather.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The weather forecast seemed intent on bringing the warm sunny summer-like weather to a close on Tuesday 22nd September, so I decided to repeat Monday's trip to Mill Hill (perhaps a little earlier this time). This was probably a good thing as from around one o'clock, the wind started getting up from the southwest and it became firstly hazier and then fog and low cloud rolled in from the sea. However, it was a productive sunny morning with the same set of species as the day before.

There were subtle differences: there didn't seem to be as many Clouded Yellows or Walls around, but I managed a few shots of both. The first species also sparked a long chat with a lady from Brighton who took a great deal of interest in their appearance here and in the legions of Common Blues all around. Unusual or numerous butterflies definitely do still grab the attention of the public.

Cloudies...
CY2 220920.JPG
CY1 220920.JPG
...and Walls.
Wall4 220920.JPG
Wall1 220920.JPG
However, today I decided to minimise the chasing of these two species and concentrate on the Common Blues and in particular the astonishing variety of female butterflies on offer everywhere.
CB4 220920.JPG
CB6 220920.JPG
CB7 220920.JPG
CB9 220920.JPG
CB26 220920.JPG
CB11 220920.JPG
CB19 220920.JPG
CB23 220920.JPG
CB14 220920.JPG
Nine different examples there, and there were dozens more - from pale blue to chocolate brown. There were just as many males, probably more in fact, and they must have still been emerging as some examples were shining new. The dimming sunshine encouraged them to open right up, and somehow enhanced the depth of the blue colour.
CB3 220920.JPG
CB25 220920.JPG
CB29 220910.JPG
This last example must rate as one of the most stunning examples of the species I have ever seen.
CB30 220920.JPG
Another terrific day on this site. As it happened, five or six miles inland the sun still shone, but probably not for long - within an hour of my return home it had completely clouded over.

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

A couple of great days out there, Dave. Very impressive Clouded Yellow inflight shots :mrgreen: ,
with both male and female captured. You have also done well with female Walls, always
far more elusive than the males. Also a nice selection of ' blue ' female Common Blues.
I can't remember when I last saw any brown ones!.

There has certainly been plenty of action so far this Autumn.

Great stuff, stay well.
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks, Trevor. I shall however continue to persevere with the open-wing Cloudie shots: they are much trickier to achieve than Wood Whites or Brimstones for some reason. (Probably because they are so much more attractive! The males are an astonishing deep eggy yellow with a bright orange spot, plus very black borders, and the females a more subtle blend of yellow, black and greenish with that standout peachy spot.)

Your part of the world is always worth a visit or two at this time of year - almost like stepping back a season! :)

Wednesday 23rd September was distinctly different, about eight degrees cooler and not even an hour of sunshine to mitigate it. Nevertheless, a walk around my local patch scraped together 15 butterflies of six species - including one not seen at Mill Hill. Here are five of the six - none of the Speckled Woods seen today were close to the path.

A female Common Blue, to continue the trend from yesterday.
CB1 230920.JPG
A nice new-looking Small Copper (which I may have seen before).
SC2 230920.JPG
Several Small Heaths, showing some variation.
SH1 230920.JPG
SH2 230920.JPG
SH4 230920.JPG
A very fresh Small White.
SW2 230920.JPG
Finally, the one not seen in Sussex - a somewhat worn Holly Blue.
HB3 230920.JPG
24th September was a bit cooler still and what little sun there was came at the wrong time of day: I didn't go out. However, on Friday 25th September, it was sunnier (though now only 15 degrees was the high - it had been 25 degrees 72 hours earlier). Another local walk managed just nine butterflies today, comprising the same selection but without the Holly Blue. I am now convinced I keep seeing the same Small Copper despite the apparent absence of wear. It proved quite tame today (probably because of the low temperature)...
SC2 250920.JPG
...and generally posed nicely.
SC5 250920.JPG
When the sun struck it (I don't think it's been photographed in proper sunshine before) it displayed the almost green iridescence that the species sometimes produces.
SC6 250920.JPG
A Small Heath proved just as dopey in the conditions...
SH1 250920.JPG
...but was also distinctly worn.
SH3 250920.JPG
A Small White opened up wide, another result of the low temperatures I imagine...
SW2 250920.JPG
...and at least one of today's Speckled Woods was a bit closer (even if the other one wasn't).
SpW2 250920.JPG
SpW1 250920.JPG
Today's Common Blues were all males, with one at least looking pretty new.
CB1 250920.JPG
CB3 250920.JPG
This is where you start to feel the season is really starting to trickle away...

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A marvellous collection of Blues in these recent posts Dave - they'd have had a Victorian collector filling up another draw - an the final male on the last but one post :shock: Woah! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Also a few :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the in-flight Cloudy shots 8)

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel. Victorian collectors would have had a field day up there - one sweep of the net would have brought in a dozen or more assorted females in some spots... :) That male you referred to was an absolute beauty too - as fresh as they come and stunningly blue (enhanced a bit by the cloudy conditions that prevailed at that point I have to admit).

The weekend of 26/27 September was a bit of a writeoff, but the forecast for 28th and 29th was better. Therefore, on Monday 28th September I set off for Sussex once again, and paid another visit to Whitehawk Hill in Brighton. There were a handful of folk up there, including Ben and John W. - locals of course! There were still a few (two, maybe three) male LTBs around, but those that I looked at were so worn now that photos really didn't seem worth the effort. No emerging females appeared, much to our disappointment (no doubt including that of the male butterflies...). However, Several Clouded Yellows were flying, and one or two Walls, Common Blues and even a Speckled Wood. Chasing the Cloudies became the priority, especially as at least one female was nectaring frequently and allowing some close approaches.
CY10 280920.JPG
CY5 280920.JPG
CY8 280920.JPG
CY1 280920.JPG
CY9 280920.JPG
Today's best effort at an upperside came unintentionally when the butterfly fortuitously took off from its nicely posed position on the flower (second photo above) just as I pressed the shutter.
CY3 280920.JPG
Luckily, the butterfly remained in roughly the same plane of focus as the flower and any blur is almost all wing movement.

Conscious that the days finish early at this time of year, I dragged myself away to have one more look at Mill Hill.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Lovely open winged shot there :mrgreen: , sometimes a bit of luck provides the best results :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's better Dave, nice and sharp :mrgreen: :D .
Normally photo opps with Cloudies are a bit limited, always closed wing,
forewing up or forewing down and that's about it.
Having said that they are rather addictive!.

Great Cloudie shots,
Trevor.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done with the CY shots, Dave.

I’ve seen a few around, but photo opportunities have eluded me.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Absolutely right, Buggy - luck plays a major role a lot of the time. I can think of half a dozen examples this year alone. :)

Thank you, Trevor. Cloudies don't provide quite as much scope as other species, hence the need for the afore-mentioned luck! :) However, one shot that I particularly like with them is the backlit one, like the fourth one down amongst the daisies. More mundanely, this also identifies for certain which sex it is.

Cheers, Mark - this one was perhaps the most cooperative of all those seen this season so far. :) Almost all the others I've come across haven't been particularly keen to sit in front of a camera. There's still time for you to get some shots in as I am still seeing them on my local patch (three today), so I guess they'll be around in the same haunts for a few days yet.

For the rest of the afternoon of 28th September I left Whitehawk and made my way up to Mill Hill again. Six days had passed since my last visit and the Common Blue numbers had markedly dropped. Nevertheless there were still fresh examples flying. Males...
CB9 280920.JPG
CB1 280920.JPG
...females...
CB3 280920.JPG
CB5 280920.JPG
CB6 280920.JPG
...and an underside with two spots nearly joined...
CB8 280920.JPG
The Clouded Yellows here (there were several) were much less accommodating...
CY1 280920.JPG
CY2 280920.JPG
...and the Walls even worse to the extent that there were no successful photos today. I made do with a Green-veined White (I haven't seen many lately anywhere)...
GVW1 280920.JPG
...and finally a very new Red Admiral making the most of the late afternoon sunshine.
RA2 280920.JPG
Even here at what is a real late season hotspot, things are now winding down a bit.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Cloudy shots Dave especially the open winged one - that's brilliant :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: Really like the back-lit shots too - I'm even more jealous of your employment status now :wink: :mrgreen:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel. That particular butterfly provided a real selection of shots. :) Cloudies could become even more addictive than Small Coppers... as you'll see from the next few days. :wink:

It remained quite warm (20 degrees) and with some sunshine on Tuesday 29th September. I set off round my local walk and counted 21 butterflies of 8 species. The icing on the cake today (considering the hours put in chasing them up and down Sussex hillsides) was finding a Clouded Yellow. I almost invariably see one on my local patch (some years, like 2019, it's just the one) but I generally have to wait right until the end of the season to do so.

Small Whites (7) and Common Blues (7) were the most frequent seen today.
CB1 290920.JPG
CB3 290920.JPG
There were two Small Coppers (this is the brighter of the two)...
SC1 290920.JPG
...but all the others were singletons. First off there was a Small Heath, and then a Speckled Wood looking autumnal on a yellowing leaf...
SpW1 290920.JPG
...a ragged male Brown Argus...
BA1 290920.JPG
...and an uncommon sight this autumn so far, a newly-emerged Comma. This was so new, the meconium from the chrysalis was visible on the foliage next to the butterfly.
Comma1 290920.JPG
However, the Clouded Yellow stole the show. Soon after I spotted it, the sun went in and caused the butterfly (a male) to thankfully lose interest in coursing up and down at high speed. With no sunshine to energise it, it started to settle - though it took a few goes before it was completely happy with the best location to wait for the sun to return. Patches of bare ground (which presumably re-radiate absorbed heat) are often favorites.
CY3 290920.JPG
CY5a 290920.JPG
CY7 290920.JPG
CY11 290920.JPG
The arrival of this species makes a grand total of 25 for my local patch during 2020 (out of the 50 I've managed to see overall in the UK this year). The season would have been incomplete without it! :)

Dave
Last edited by millerd on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Dave

Catching up with your PD.

Love your open-wing Cloudie shots and the one with blue sky behind. I have not had much luck with them this year. I believe I have only seen two and both in fast flight. Nice to see your Coppers of course, esp the finger shot. And the finger shot Small Heath too.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Ernie - I've had some luck with the Cloudies this year, with being able to get close to a few, fluking some open-wing shots, and then having them turn up on my doorstep as everything else winds down. :) I find it amazing how easy it can be to persuade a butterfly onto a finger, even something as wary as a Small Heath! :)

My next opportunity to have a look around was a couple of days later on Thursday 1st October. October already - where did that season go to? My local patch produced seven species today (the Comma was missing from the tally clocked up on Tuesday): Common Blue (7), Clouded Yellow (2), Small Heath (2), Small Copper (2), Small White (1), Speckled Wood (1), Brown Argus (1). I'm always cautious about logging multiple Clouded Yellows as it's easy to encounter the same one flying in long loops and back and forth over the same area. However, in this case, the two (male) butterflies met in the course of their constant meanderings and had a brief tussle not too far from where I was. Neither one was particularly approachable today.
CB6 011020.JPG
CB1 011020.JPG
CY1 011020.JPG
CY3 011020.JPG
CY4 011020.JPG
SH1 011020.JPG
SC7 011020.JPG
SC4 011020.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The weather now took a nose-dive, and over the next three days (2nd-4th), I saw very little. I had a glimpse of a Speckled Wood on Friday 2nd, and then on Saturday 3rd October in a brief brighter moment before increasingly threatening skies took over, I somehow found two butterflies down in the grass.
SH1 031020.JPG
CB1 031020.JPG
Sunday 4th was very wet, and cold as well, and it was difficult to imagine how anything would survive it all and be flying breezily about in the sunshine 24 hours later...

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the Cloudy on your local patch Dave - great shots too :D :mrgreen: 8) Twenty five is a great haul for a Local Patch too 8) The end of the season has certainly raced away this year it seems :? Oh well all good things must come to an end :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

You really DO have an enviable range of species down there for late September/early October, Dave (as well as a few interesting aircraft!)

The third broods are seemingly quite reliable these days. In the 1980s October was a pretty cold month, but more recently the temperatures have been routinely 13-17c throughout the month (and even into early November). That's more than enough for butterflies to remain active. I guess it's what happens to the resultant larvae that poses the problems.

Return to “Personal Diaries”