Corfu last week

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Tony Moore

Corfu last week

Post by Tony Moore »

Like Pete Smith, we are also just back from Greece - a non-butterfly week on the east coast of Corfu. No camera (shame...) - just R&R and lots of beer (lovely...) Still managed to see 12 species within the Hotel grounds : Swallowtail; Scarce Swallowtail; Large and Small Whites; Eastern Dappled White; Lang's Short-tailed Blue; Holly Blue; Brown Argus; Silver-washed Frit; Meadow Brown, and Small and Pigmy Skippers. The Meadow Browns had a totally different jizz from their British counterparts - flicking their wings open whilst feeding and flying very fast. They were also slightly bigger and more strongly marked. Until I got the book out, I thought they may have been a different species :oops:. If any sense of normality obtains by next June, I hope to go back again on a proper butterfly holiday.

Tony M.
David M

Re: Corfu last week

Post by David M »

Glad you got away, Tony, although to a less 'exotic' location than I am used to you visiting.

Pigmy Skipper isn't a bad species to be able to see casually! :mrgreen:
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Tony Moore wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:12 pm Like Pete Smith, we are also just back from Greece - a non-butterfly week on the east coast of Corfu.

Tony M.
Glad you had a good time Tony - it's always good to get away! Even "non-butterfly" holidays can provide some nice entomological moments. We plan to go back to Corfu next year at the end of May, but who knows how things will pan out...
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

For anyone who is visiting Corfu a number of interested parties have set up Corfu Butterfly Conservation in order to promote recording and conservation of butterflies on the island. They also are aiming to produce a butterfly atlas so all of your records records will be welcome see: https://corfubutterflies.org.uk/about.php
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks for the link, Mark, I shall certainly look at it.

Pete, we are aiming at a similar time, so may even manage to meet up, depending on how the dreaded Covid pans out.

Tony M.

Return to “Overseas”