ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ernie f

Re: ernie f

Post by ernie f »

2.15 pm, 14th Sep 2020, the car drive next to my house. Full, bright sunshine on the hottest day of this month so far (27 degrees) and what do I see out of my kitchen window? A brown thrush-sized object flying about, a bit brown and a bit furry.

Furry?!?

Double-take.

No. It was a bat to-ing and fro-ing, catching insects that I could clearly see buzzing around. It stayed for a few moments, just enough to judge that it was quite big for a UK bat and very fast, then it was off.

I am not an expert on bats and even looking it up I cannot be sure but it may have been a female Noctule. They like woodlands and we have trees all around us. They are our biggest bat apparently and this was so big I thought it was a bird first of all. Noctules are known to feed in the day but so do other bats although it is by no means common for them to do so. What I found amazing is that the females migrate in Autumn but the males do not. I guessed this was a female getting a spot of extra nourishment before the big journey she was just about to make.

Any bat experts out there that could suggest any extra info about day-flying bats?

Thanks.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead again

Small Copper numbers have doubled over the past 3 days since I was last here. I counted 39 today of which I am pretty sure 22 were new so I can add those to my accumulative total which is now 45 for this site, this month.

This one was showing verdigris and blue badges at the same time.
Verdigris and Blue badges.JPG
A male followed a female along a branch. She was NOT Turkey-trotting and instead seemed to be testing him as a potential suitor.
P1150704.JPG
Another pair had seemed to have made a prior arrangement to meet up at an acorn. Please click on pic to enlarge.
P1150705.JPG
While another one was "on the bottle".
P1150690.JPG
I reported recently that there were no Brown Argus here as there usually are. I had jumped the gun. I found one today and this one was wing-rolling for me.
P1150720.JPG
P1150721.JPG
Also today here, 1 S White, 1 C Blue and two Common Lizards.

Other recent sightings.

At Alice Holt...

A cluster of Parasol Mushrooms before their caps open.
Parasol (2).JPG
And nearby, one that had opened up.
Parasol (6).JPG
Plus 1 Speckled Wood

Then at Noar Hill...

An elderly female Common Darter with a bent tail-end.
Common Darter - older female.JPG
Plus a Red Ad, Peacock, S White, C Blue, S Heath, Sp Wd, M Brown
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 pmSmall Copper numbers have doubled over the past 3 days since I was last here. I counted 39 today...
Fabulous total, ernie. It must be wonderful to see so many. I'm pleased you got a Brown Argus as well....and a nice, fresh one!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Thanks, David. This single reserve is great in Summer for Silver-studded Blues and then later in early Autumn for the Small Coppers. The fact it's only a few miles away from my house means I am over there rather a lot!!! :)
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead again

This time I walked a loop that was completely separate from where I have been looking up until now. I only found 3 more Small Coppers raising my count here to 48 but they were all fresh.

Two males were jousting when I came upon them first time. They took off, battled for a bit then one chased the other off across the heath. Maybe 60 yards or more. I followed unsuccessfully. When I got back to the spot where I first saw them I discovered that one had returned. How'd he do that, then? Somehow he had circled around me without me knowing, sneaky devil.

I watched him stalk-walking down a fern frond. He then flew to a neighboring fern and did the same thing. They never turn round and walk back up do they? Always down and then fly off.
Stalk-walking a fern2.jpg
But then he disturbed the other male who had also suddenly materialized as if out of nowhere and battle once again commenced. And again they flew off a great distance, one chasing the other. A repeat performance. This time I was wise to it. I did not follow but stayed where I was and sure enough, both of them eventually returned to the same patch. I wonder how many times each day they do this?

Recently I showed the Tawny Grisette mushroom on my PD. Today, on this walk I saw perhaps over 100 of them. They are not uncommon on the heaths around here but this is an amazing number by anyone's standard. I cannot recollect ever seeing so many in one year before, let alone one location.

Also, two more fungi species in rather good numbers. First, The Blusher. Related to the Fly Agaric (That magic mushroom associated with Pixies and the like) - but this one is pinkish rather than red and stains pink when damaged.
Amanita rubescens - The Blusher (3).JPG
And an extremely variable Bolete, the Suede Bolete. Not always an easy one to ID, so I am only about 80% sure of it on this occasion but there were quite a few, of different ages and colouration, etc to help me with the ID. None looked exactly like they do in my book but did look like some examples I found on the internet and the habitat is right.
Boletus subtomentosus - Suede Bolete (1).JPG
It is a very fine looking mushroom indeed.
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fine Constabulary of Coppers Ernie - but my top marks have to go for the most recent on the Bracken - cracking shot and judging by the the blue badges a D.I. at least :wink: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - I love the "Constabulary" of Coppers. I must try and remember that for future.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Two more parcels of Broxhead Common investigated for Small Coppers today.

One section used to be excellent for them but over the years became choked with gorse and bracken - so much so there came a point where it was almost impossible to enter and if you could fight your way in, then it was impossible to venture far. Consequently the Small Copper numbers declined. I had almost written it off but tried it today and I am sure glad I did. The powers that be who manage this site have done a wonderful job of clearing back the huge gorse bushes and swathes of fern, leaving just enough for birds such as Stonechat to perch on. Instead I was faced with masses of new-growth heather and navigable pathways, and...

14 Small Coppers!

One male was walking behind a female while she Turkey-trotted at him. Two males flew after a female. Another male was doing a stalk walk down a grass stalk. It was all going on - the signs were good for this colony to increase over the coming years. Or should I say "Constabulary", Wurzel? :lol:
P1150813.JPG
Also saw a Southern Hawker.
P1150822b.jpg
And a hare. I got a good pic of it but when I looked at it on my computer closely I realized it was a very old one and almost blind so I decided not to share it here.

Then I moved on to the pond area of Broxhead Common. This in the past has never been as good as the locations on the other side of the road and so proved to be the case today with only 3 individuals seen there.

Altogether today though I found 17 new Small Coppers and adding this to my count for this location this month I now total 65.

In good years with a late September/early October warm spell there can be a fourth brood of Small Coppers. Lets hope we are heading that way.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Broxhead yet again.

5 new Small Coppers today in another part of the reserve not yet visited for them this year bringing my overall annual total to 73 for this location (that includes the three I saw here when the Silver-studded Blues were around). I have now visited all those parts of the reserve that I know to have harboured Small Coppers here in the past. My personal annual best at Broxhead was in 2018 when I scored 79, so I am only 7 away from a new record. However the only way I am likely to do this now is if I wait a couple of weeks and hope for the weather to stay OK and fresh fourth-brooders to be about. That's the only way I got 79 two years ago.

A male was following a female who was Turkey-trotting and I got a fair pic of this before he flew off.
P1150832b.jpg
But my highlight of the day was a tatty old Grayling. Why? Because in all the years I have visited this reserve and the multiple times each year I do so (must be over a hundred times by now) I have never seen a single Grayling here. It is also very unusual, not because its the wrong habitat because being a heath, it isn't, but it forms a complex of heaths including Kingsley, Sleaford and Oakhanger and I have never seen a Grayling at any of those places either.
P1150827.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Or should I say "Constabulary", Wurzel?" - definitely :wink: :D
Interesting to see the out of place Grayling - do they inhabit any of the other heaths - I know you say you've not encountered them but perhaps their population is ridiculously small? If not where's the nearest colony to you that they could have come from? :? I had this a few years back with a Silver-studded Blue that turned up on the side of a Down on the outskirts of Salisbury when the nearest Heath is 10-11 miles away :shock:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That Grayling is a great find, Ernie. :) The heathland areas you describe which are good for the Silver-studs would be good for Grayling too, so you have to wonder if they've been hiding away there all this time (though the chances of you consistently missing them seem remote :) ). Where's the nearest known colony?

Cheers,

Dave
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel, Dave - I have seen them at Thursley, Farnham - Folly Hill and Longmoor. After checking I believe I am right in saying Longmoor is the closest. The distance edge to edge between these two reserves is 5 miles but I have only ever seen them at Longmoor well into that reserve, and the one I saw at Broxhead was well away from the edge of that reserve too, so I estimate 6 miles between them. On the one hand the town of Bordon lies between the two reserves but on the other there is a heath-way corridor, almost but not quite linking the two called Woolmer Heath. I have never seen Grayling on Woolmer Heath either but I have not visited the entire place. There is a woodland between the two heaths but its not big. When looked at like this, its kind of a surprise I have not seen more Grayling at Broxhead.

I saw the Grayling very close to what used to be a location I classed as a Small Copper lek, so I do not think I would have missed them all these years if there had been a Grayling colony there right beside the Copper colony.

Also, talking about the lek - I have had to down-grade it in my estimation. It used to be the centre of action for the Small Copper community but for some reason much of the slope has become barren. There is still a lot of sheep's sorrel and a few heather plants but soil erosion has taken its toll on a vast swathe of what was one a green hillside. Luckily, extensive ground maintenance on the reserve has improved the lot of the Small Coppers elsewhere. None of them as good as the "lek" used to be but generally the numbers are spread wider and more thinly.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Quick update re Grayling. I checked on the internet and there are records of Grayling on the Woolmer heathland. I guess this is where my one at Broxhead hailed from.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

I am a bit embarrassed.

I was so surprised that Grayling have been recorded at Woolmer when I thought I had never seen any at neighbouring Broxhead that I decided to wade through my records and sure enough - this was NOT my first sighting of one at Broxhead. I did see one before some years ago. So my overall count if Grayling at Broxhead is NOT 1, it is 2.

Just goes to show - it pays to keep records, but it also goes to show you should read them from time to time! :oops:
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

And so to Kingsley Common.

Since I had exhausted the Small Coppers at Broxhead for a couple of weeks, it was time to move on - not far though - about half a mile away from Broxhead is Kingsley Heath. The transect today yielded 12 individuals but they were not easy to find because many were females egg-laying. Like in the pic below.
Egg-laying.JPG
I have a nice couple of egg-laying sequences using burst-mode on my camera so I intend to make an animated gif - but it will probably end up being too large to share here.

Also saw one do a short wing-roll. Small Coppers don't do wing-rolls much so to get one pictured doing it, however slightly, was a surprise.
Small Copper - Wing Roll (6).JPG
Small Copper - Wing Roll (9).JPG
Again I have a sequence of this and will make an animated gif of it.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Shortheath reserve at Oakhanger village

My closest heath. It's not big but it does have Coppers. In fact it had 14 today that I could see. This one flew off after having its pic taken and what a surprise. It went up and up and up until it was the height of the Oak canopy when it then flew between the trees! I have always seen them low down so this was yet another thing about them I never knew. You learn something every day.
P1150905.JPG
Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Interesting behaviour and also something to look out for Ernie - especially a few week earlier in the season - yet another ginger jobby to divert our attention from Brostreaks, as if Vapourer Moths and Gatekeepers weren't enough! :roll: :lol:

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Wurzel - I saw two more flying high at Kingsley today. Is it a trend amongst Coppers now or (more likely) am I just seeing it more now I know it happens?
Subconsciously looking for it perhaps.
Ernie F
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Kingsley Common

17 new Small Coppers today in a different part of the common to the other day bringing my total here to 29 this week.

But for me - more remarkable was a sighting of a Holly Blue. Kingsley is known for its Spring-time Holly Blues but not for its Autumnal ones so this was unexpected delight. I looked back through my records to find that this was the latest time in the year I have ever seen one, three weeks later than my previous best, although my book does suggest it is possible to see them on the wing well into November if the conditions are right.
Holly Blue at Kingsley 22 Sep 2020.JPG
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a nice late Holly Blue, Ernie. :) If there is a third brood (and some decent weather after the imminent cold snap), you might well see one in November (I've found one in mid-November both the last couple of years). I believe they've even been seen in December.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”