Gardener's World Special

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
fbarclay

Gardener's World Special

Post by fbarclay »

Ever-so-slightly off-topic. Friday's Gardener's World special: Britain has a unique heritage of wild flowers and yet many have been lost or are under threat as our woodlands and natural meadows shrink to all time lows. The repercussion means a constant threat to many species of wildlife. So can we stop the decline? Presenter Sarah Raven, daughter of acclaimed British botanist John Raven, believes that we can. She embarks on a journey to persuade us all to play our part in preserving our botanical heritage - by creating a river of wild flowers that link the current number of protected meadows and woodlands - thus ensuring the wildlife that thrives in these habitats have a chance to survive.

Much emphasis on invertebrates including butterflies. Watch again at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00d6m4y/
Fiona
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Gardener's World Special

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for that, Fiona. I knew of the demise of Cornflower (for example), but didn't realise that the demise of wild flowers in general was an issue - so thanks for bringing that to our attention! I guess I focus too much on nectar sources and larval foodplants - everything else is a bonus :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi
Does any one know where I can watch this is AD? (audio description?)
I am looking on the web now, or what channel was it one, and I can watch it on demarnd from the digital box, hopefully with AD
thanks
Mouse
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hi Fiona

I watched this Gardener's World Special - what she was trying to do, with creating wildlife corridors (via the country lanes), is admirable.

Sarah Raven isn't my favourite presenter; presenting just doesn't come very easily to her, though she certainly knows her subject. I hope we see another programme with the results in a few years time.

Polly
fbarclay

Post by fbarclay »

Hi Mouse

It was on BBC One on Friday at 8pm. I've checked the website - and it appears there's no subtitles available for this programme. I'm not sure about audio descriptions - there's no indication.

Fiona
Fiona
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Ok
Thanks Fiona.
I will look on OD tomorrow as that channel is avalible!
Thanks

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”