September photo comp. format

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

September photo comp. format

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi all,

Since the weather hasn't been brilliant, and doesn't look to get much better, should the September comp. continue as before - submitting photos taken in September - or is it time to revert to a theme?

If you think we should follow a theme - please suggest some! Or perhaps we can rerun some previous themes - with only photos taken in 2008 being submissible.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Denise

Re: September photo comp. format

Post by Denise »

Theme sounds good Pete.
We could use previous ones plus maybe,
Comedy caption, Butterflies by colour, Butterflies by family, eg, Hairstreaks, Fritillaries etc,
But I think it would be fair to everyone if the photo's were taken in 2008 and have not been voted on in a comp before.
What do you think?

Cheers
Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi
I have noticed quite a few butterflies about still. I think we may still be in for a chance of submitting ones from this month.
Thoughts?
Mouse
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

I lot of people are not lucky enough to see Fritillaries or Hairstreaks, if this theme will be the case a lot of people will not be are to join in. As Mouse says there still a few butterflies about and it would be nice to have butterflies that are seen in September. The Commas and Red Admiral's always make stunning photos and there are quite a few Small Tortoiseshell's about, these seem to be the general Autumn butterflies. Shirley
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

September is such a beautiful and colourful month I would expect to see some wonderful entries, despite the poor summer. For those living up north it might even be a better month than April. Not that my voice counts, because I hope to be seeing Queens of Spain still on the wing in December... :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Still plenty to see out there, plus if the weather's bad, it becomes a test of dedication. :D

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

Shirley Roulston wrote:I lot of people are not lucky enough to see Fritillaries or Hairstreaks, if this theme will be the case a lot of people will not be are to join in. As Mouse says there still a few butterflies about and it would be nice to have butterflies that are seen in September. The Commas and Red Admiral's always make stunning photos and there are quite a few Small Tortoiseshell's about, these seem to be the general Autumn butterflies. Shirley
Good point, well made. I haven't had much sleep so my head's not on straight :oops:
I have only seen two Small Tortoiseshell all year and haven't had one in the garden at all, but I might yet. Here's hoping :)
Sorry for the thoughtlessness.

Denise
Shirley Roulston

Its ok Denise. I had noticed you were up very early it was very muggy last night, its cooler to-day so I expect you'll get a better night's sleep to-night. Of course if you get your better half to do the lunch you can have a snooze in the chair :) . Shirley
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

how about a competition for just one particular butterfly or group ?

eg....most interesting photo of a white

most thrilling meadow brown :?

charles
eccles

Post by eccles »

There are plenty of butterflies if you know where to look for them. ;)
Attachments
DSC01879.jpg
DSC01879.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
Shirley Roulston

Which country were you in when you took this beauty, or was it your greenhouse, or is it made out of silk :) ? Shirley
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I like your idea Charles, seems like a nice idea to go on. And since I start college soon, I won't have time to take photos of anything, but all I am seeing is a lone red admiral in my garden day after day for past few weeks.

How about the most unusual shot of a butterfly for this month? Or do some people here not have unusual shots?
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the input all. Sounds like we should stick to the regular format for September.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
eccles

Post by eccles »

Shirley Roulston wrote:Which country were you in when you took this beauty, or was it your greenhouse, or is it made out of silk :) ? Shirley
The new butterfly house at Bristol Zoo. It's small, and yesterday when I visited it was full of yelling children in prams, but I still said "Wow!" when I entered.

BTW, I agree with current sentiments on letting the regular format continue for September. Autumn light can give some superb images.
So long as it stops raining, that is...
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

ok, I think I can get a pic this month, and I agree, the colours and lighting this time of year would be neat
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

{Mark rushes off to check yesterday's pics...........} :D
{........ and plods disconsolately back} :(

Well, maybe I'll get something in the rest of the month (tho' we're not getting anything other than Large/Small Whites, Red Admirals and Peacocks :()
NickB

Post by NickB »

Markulous wrote:{Mark rushes off to check yesterday's pics...........} :D

Well, maybe I'll get something in the rest of the month (tho' we're not getting anything other than Large/Small Whites, Red Admirals and Peacocks :()
Quite tricky to get decent shots of the Whites so still some challenges plus_Comma, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, three Whites, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock - nine species to go at plus the odd Holly Blue....(any more near you out there?)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

NickB wrote:
Markulous wrote:{Mark rushes off to check yesterday's pics...........} :D

Quite tricky to get decent shots of the Whites so still some challenges plus_Comma, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral, three Whites, Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock - nine species to go at plus the odd Holly Blue....(any more near you out there?)
N
I've never seen so many Red Admirals and Peacocks as in the last couple of days. A couple of Whites and a lost looking Small Tortoiseshell and that's the lot! Had to resort to shots of flies, spiders and shield bugs! :)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote:Hi all,
....- or is it time to revert to a theme?
with only photos taken in 2008 being submissible.
Thoughts?
Cheers,
- Pete
How about tattiest (still-flying) butterfly as a theme for a winter comp?
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

Now I'm gutted - I pulled a very tatty (dead) cabbage white out of the front of the car radiator the other day - perhaps I should have photographed it insitu - we could have an 'end of life' theme. Usually by now my garden is full of Garden Spiders and their enormous dew laiden webs - and sometimes they have the odd butterfly / moth in too - but where are all the spiders? It's getting colder and I've seen a couple of crane flies - but autumn isn't as I recall. Hmmm. Photos of my 25 year old moth eaten pinned butterflies any good ?

Return to “Competitions”