causes of aberration

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
georgehogg

causes of aberration

Post by georgehogg »

I had the good fortune to find Small Copper ab Schmidtii in Ayrshire on Wednesday.
Just writing up my diary and want to say how the aberration comes about .
I know both genetics and weather during pupation are often quoted but wondered if Schmidtii had a known cause ?
Attachments
3-P1460484.JPG
Devon Dave

Re: causes of aberration

Post by Devon Dave »

I tend to agree about the weather effects during Pupation. This Spring saw record temperatures and endless warm days down here in Devon. I have never seen so many Aberrations reported during the Spring and early summer finding a couple myself.
As to your wonderful Small Copper Ab sighting all I can say it must have been a Joanna Lumley / Dawn French Moment.
It is simply an Ab Fab !!!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I believe schmidti is genetic in origin - a simple recessive. That is what Ford states (though he calls it alba) but that might be out of date now.

Genetic origins don't necessarily exclude environmental influence, if they affect selection at the larval stage, where mortality is very high. I have no reason to believe that is the case here, though.

Amazing photo, by the way - you are very lucky!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I think I can see a bit of ab.caeruleopunctata In there too - some blue spots on the hindwings - absolutely fabulous specimen.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Fantastic aberration! I have been hoping to see one of these for most of my life - I am still waiting...

Great shot - I think it is fair to say that many of us are envious of your experience in finding this!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Yes i agree George .............A great find ,and something i would dearly love to see ! love the pure silver markings of your specimen,i,ve been quite lucky Ab; wise with Small Coppers ,and have seen several very pale individuals ,but nothing approaching the Silver markings
of Schmidtii ..............Great find !.
The Observatory warden at Dungeness (Kent,where there is a huge population !) has been warden there for over 30 years ,and in this time ,he has seen 2 Schmidtii ........................and yours is blue spotted as well !
Regards Allan.W.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The holy grail of Small Copper abs! :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “General”