Tuscany in September

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
wavelea1

Tuscany in September

Post by wavelea1 »

Following 2 appalling weeks in Norfolk earlier this year I can't persuade my better half to come back to the cottage in September - and I don't blame her - it was quite awful. So we're off to Tuscany in late Sept......

Should I go prepared to see anything? Do any of you have any experience of this area as late as Sept - I guess it will still be warm. Fortunately Susie, my wife of 18 months is a butterfly convert so we could manage quite a few walks. I'm not taking a car!

Wavelea1
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tuscany in September

Post by Padfield »

The Rhône Valley in Switzerland is still active at the end of September. Last year on 23rd September I saw tree graylings, common blue, adonis blue, chalkhill blue, idas blue, brown argus, brown hairstreak, red admirals, clouded yellows, Berger's clouded yellows, Queen of Spain fritillary, marbled ringlet and various whites. The year before, there were other odd things too, like Apollo and even a female mountain fritillary on 30th September. If the weather is good I would expect to see even more in Tuscany. It will only be a fraction of what you would see earlier in the year but considerably more than you would see in England at that time!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Guy

Phew! and thanks. I'd be happy with half that - so I guess it's worth swatting up on european butterflies before I go as my current knowledge is seriously limited - sorry to be a pest but any suggestions where to look?

Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi wavelea1,

Butterflies of Europe by Tristan Lafranchis is a great, hard wearing, paper back (so it's not too heavy) field guide.
I took it to Kos with me and would highly recommend it.
Have a great trip.

Denise
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Ta Denise

Will go shopping for it - nothing worse than not knowing what I am photographing.......... oh yes there is August in England.

Thanks

Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Mike,

Take a look at this http://www.lopinga.com/htdocs/ISBN%202-9521620-0-X.html
It's where I got mine.

Cheers
Denise
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Hi Denise

Many thanks for the web site - I'm on it so will be armed. Imagine seeing sunshine and butterflies again, if this works it could become a habit......

Mike (from Pucklechurch)

Return to “Overseas”