Scotch Argus in N England yet ?

Discussion forum for sightings.
sifenn

Scotch Argus in N England yet ?

Post by sifenn »

Has anyone seen Scotch Argus out yet at Arnside or Smardale ? weather looks favourable this weekend, but haven't seen any reports of sightings. I have generally visited in last few days of July, but I wouldn't blame them for not being out yet given recent weather. thx
DaveO'B

Re: Scotch Argus in N England yet ?

Post by DaveO'B »

Scotch Argus were seen at Arnside & Smardale on Friday. Seen on Facebook and Butterfly Conservation Lancashire Branch website.

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Think the reports said only males were seen so give it a week or so if you can to get the full experience :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

Thanks for the updates
I made it to Arnside today, rather overcast, 2-3 males occasionally on the wing and then hunkering down in the grass on the NE facing slope - this was the best I could do for an open wing shot this year ! Gatekeepers doing well....
argus.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

As I reported elsewhere on ukb, here in N.Scotland, first Scotch Argus Friday 31 July. I had been checking hotspots near my home regularly for many days and 31 July seems to have been first emergence. Numbers still quite low on 3 August.

Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

I visited both Smardale Gill and Arnside Knott today (9th August).

Smardale: Scotch Argus (males and females) all along the path that follows the old railway line, starting from roughly where it goes under the Settle & Carlisle line. You currently cannot follow the path across the old viaduct as the handrail is unsafe, but you divert to the left along the slope instead and Scotch Argus abounded here too. Overall they must have numbered in the hundreds, and somewhat resembled the clouds of Chalkhill Blues seen on chalk downland in the south (except for being chocolate brown instead of shining blue!). Several of the walkers I spoke to today remarked upon the abundance of butterflies here, though few seemed aware of the nature of this isolated population. Also seen were Red Admirals, Peacocks, Small Heaths and Small Skippers. Sunny periods, a bit of cloud, 18 degrees at 1130 rising to about 21 at 1430. A strong northeasterly wind, but the first part of the route was sheltered.

Arnside: Very few butterflies at all. 13 Scotch Argus seen (two females, the rest males), the majority (9) in the area around the trig point at the top. The rest were low down near the edge of the trees on the southwest side, plus a singleton nectaring in Heathwaite meadow. Also seen were Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, Small Heaths and one female Common Blue. One "regular" I spoke to was pleased to see the Scotch Argus and still finds the Gatekeepers a bit of a novelty up here. Sunny, with occasional high cloud, 25 degrees at about 1530 dropping a degree or so by 1730. Very little wind.

Dave
(photos in my diary in due course)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Typical Scotch Argus habitat north Scotland.
20-08-10-014-ScotchArgus.jpg
I would not say that the butterfly always needs heather but I have yet to see them when there wasn't at least some heather present. The favoured habitats are edges of woods or riverside clearings but NOT heather moorland.

I am sure others will disagree!

Numbers up here are OK but not as numeorus as usual. Hot dry May and wet June can't have helped.

Jack
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

As reported recently loads of scotch Argus at Cambus o may on Deeside last Friday.
Attachments
88E39995-BBF3-4E7F-BD2A-8124F039BB25.jpeg
6068574A-B6E8-4B94-917C-264984C43C9B.jpeg
FFA1F39D-D6E5-42C4-B60E-35756C492965.jpeg
13F60A5E-ADF3-4801-8CD0-C35A8A5566B6.jpeg
3C9D49EE-E3DE-4596-AD84-2F0B81C91807.jpeg
22994BD9-8F45-4EEB-A29E-00E13C945A1C.jpeg
6E1D7D2D-9FB1-4617-A025-A53B4A0A2731.jpeg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Scotch Argus at Cambus o May on Deeside last Friday.
That is a good find. I knew the area well in the 1980s and never found Scoth Argus east of Invercauld Bridge. However the Don valley (further north) had several colonies.

Jack
Ben Freeman

Post by Ben Freeman »

Jack Harrison wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 am
Scotch Argus at Cambus o May on Deeside last Friday.
That is a good find. I knew the area well in the 1980s and never found Scoth Argus east of Invercauld Bridge. However the Don valley (further north) had several colonies.

Jack
The cambus o'may site is remarkable, on sunny days the Scotch Argus are everywhere in their hundreds, but in a relatively confined area.

However, there have been several sightings of individuals a considerable distance east of there late this summer, Strachan, Lumphanan and Banchory, in habitat that on the surface at least looks perfect. Next year could be interesting indeed.
Attachments
Scotch Argus at Cambus O'May - 28th July 2020
Scotch Argus at Cambus O'May - 28th July 2020

Return to “Sightings”