Brown Hairstreak back in Kent

Discussion forum for sightings.
Greenie

Re: Brown Hairstreak back in Kent

Post by Greenie »

A catch up on a few additional sightings , as far as I am aware .

31st. Aug A visitor from Hutchinsons Bank had 3 BHs , initially warming up then egg laying on the Bridlepath . I had left
probably about half an hour earlier to check the other sites , none of which provided a sighting .
8th. Sept. After four blank days , it was good to get a sighting when Keith , one of the egg collectors , and myself made
a visit to the Bridleway .
Even better when we searched the footpath site and found 3 BHs , all egg laying .

Still nothing more than the single sighting at Down House and High Elms still hasn't produced a ' positive ' sighting .

Cheers Greenie
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

With the flight season finished , a look back at the four sites where eggs were wired into blackthorn .
The first sighting was at Down House by a member of Kent BC on the 8th.August . Despite many more visits , including the weekly transect , there were no further sightings that I am aware of .
At the Fox Hill footpath site , one probable sighting , followed by 4 positive sightings , all egg laying , I feel was an encouraging result to take into next season .
At High Elms LNR, a probable sighting but no positive sighting , was a dissappointment .
On the Jackass Lane bridlepath , where half of the harvested eggs were returned after the flail , 34 sightings , 16 of which were egg laying , with the last sighting that I am aware of on the 14th.September , was a great result for all those involved in the egg collecting last autumn .
Between the bridleway and the ' probable ' departure site ( Hutchinsons Bank ) of the original arrivals , Martin , who does the HB transect , had one sighting and 2 eggs , all at different points in the suitable hedgerows .
I tentativly emailed the landowner regarding any management over the winter , hoping that perhaps just the fast growing Ash trees would be taken out , leaving the majority of the thorn alone . Unfortunately he answered that the flail would probably be used again to do the trimming .
Given the effort last year , I don't think an annual egg harvest and part return is viable , but I hope to have a site meeting with the landowner in the near future to discuss options .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Well , I did have the site meeting with the owner , and I am glad to say that he agreed to not having the bridleway flailed this winter , in return for the removal of the Ash saplings amongst the thorn and ensuring that the bridleway was kept clear for the horse riders and walkers .
I had been working on the latter all through the summer as I always attended with a pair of secateurs and kept the bramble from crossing the bridleway , as much for my convenience as others .
When the flight season finished , and taking the opportunity of good weather in between the bad , I started cutting out the smaller Ash with loppers and a bow saw . Just doing a couple of hours at a time , it didn't seem too much of a chore , but I soon realised that the numbers of saplings , in various stages from 5cms. to 3mtrs.+ , were going to run into hundreds , if not thousands , and that the larger ones were going to need a chainsaw to cut down . The cut material was stacked on the field side of the inner hedge and piled up along the full length of the bridleway . When all the hand cutting was finished , I made arrangements with the owner to borrow his industrial , track driven chipper and to attend with a chainsaw to finish off the cutting .
Last Wednesday , with Martin from Hutchinsons Bank , and picking midweek hoping that walkers / horse riders would be at a minimum , we cut down the remaining stumps and after a very noisy couple of hours , chipped the cut material back onto the bridleway floor . Best of all , we only had to shut down the chipper twice , once for two horse riders heading out for a ride and again on their return journey .
Obviously , some small Ash remain , but these can be dealt with during future visits to the site and will not require chipping .
Next job will be an egg count once the Blackthorn loose their leaves .
Many thanks to Martin for his help .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Since mid November , I have made many visits to the bridleway , and on every occassion have removed more Ash , varying in size from seedlings upwards , and I think that will go on during this year too . Impossible to estimate the total number , but for sure it will be in the thousands , as most visits have produced 200-400 removals .
Naturally enough , whilst doing so , have been looking for BH eggs , and to be honest , was not finding many at all , which was worrying . Before the recent storm and rain , and with all Blactkthorn plants bare of leaves , I spent 2 days making a systematic search of the 3/4 mile bridleway , finding just 63 BH eggs , way down from the 391 that we harvested last year . A disappointing total , but put in the context of a ' bad year ' nationally for the species , and the fact that 90% of the young Blackthorn plants , much favoured by the egg laying females , were taken out with the flail on the floor of the bridleway . I hope to do an egg count on the Blackthorn around the farm in the near future and hope that this will push up the number .
I recently helped Martin with the egg count at Hutchinsons Bank , where the final result of 81 was also down from last year's 130 , but there the young plants didn't suffer the flail .
Whilst doing that count , Martin mentioned the roadside verge at Spring Park hadn't been flailed as it usually is , and that he noticed young Blackthorn plants in good numbers . Whilst out the following day I had a look at the area and found 5 BH eggs , another new Kent site for the species . I tagged the plants , but couldn't find a ranger on site . The following morning , something made me go back to the site , to find a tractor and flail waiting to get to work . A ranger also arrived and with permission I cut the egg bearing plants and brought them home . I will return them to the site in the next few days when I will wire them into any remaining young plants .
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Here is the map of the Kent Brown Hairstreak in the Croydon/Bromley border areas. Green Squares are Hutchinsons Bank in Surrey/Croydon and Blue Squares in Kent/Bromley.

considering that 4 years ago there were no Brown Hairstreaks in Kent, its good that the spread has occured so quickly.

im sure it is in some of the adjacent squares, just hasnt been checked.
Bromley BrownHairstreak.jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

With Greenie today i walked the route from New Addington to Nash, looking at the Blackthorn Hedges, and confirmed that all suitable hedgerows have eggs on them in low numbers, all the locations are suitable for colonies to form in the future, but it looks like females are flying through laying the odd eggs. The Strong Nash colony is where they settled 4 years ago. It would have been better to have looked for eggs last year 2018/19 as egg numbers are well down on those totals. just into Kent they seem to have divided and gone different routes, one more northern than the one to Nash.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

A count at the City Commons Spring Park site produced 45 eggs, it was interesting that the Blackthorn is on a 4 year cycle, 34 of the eggs were on 2 year growth, 10 on one year and 1 on the edge of 4 year growth. This number of eggs in a bad year is probably a second Kent colony. There was another 5 eggs along the roadside. There was probably a good showing of the adults last autumn, as the conditions are the same as Featherbed Lane Verge, where we had 6 adults in low herbage at the same time.
Bromley BrownHairstreak1.jpg
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

A second visit to Spring Park with Martin , and the final egg count was 67 , which makes it the No.1 site in Kent for eggs this year , overtaking the 63 at the bridleway near Keston .
Given luck , this could become a truly excellent site for the Brown Hairstreak as it has everything required by the species .
As Martin mentioned , the stand of blackthorn is managed on a four year rotation . The 3rd. and 4th. year growth areas are naturally woody plants , but the 1st. and 2nd. year plants are ' whips ' and looking at them , there is very little difference in their growth to the human eye , but as previously stated , the majority (46) of the eggs were found on the 2nd. year growth , with another 10 on the first year growth , and the singleton on the 4th. year growth , proving without doubt the type of growth that the female egg layers were looking for . Five more eggs were found on the roadside verge before that was due to be flailed , added to the 5 previously harvested from there , and wired back into the 2nd year growth in the main block of blackthorn .
A City of London ranger arrived and was pleased with the finds , and after explaining how beneficial the rotation cutting , which was originally instigated for Whitethroats and other warblers , is going to consider using the same system on the roadside verge rather than the once a year cut . This would further help the BHs to expand their range .
Now its down to the long wait till late summer , and keeping the fingers crossed .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Used my excersise walk this morning to check up on the BH eggs at Spring Park .
With the leaves out now , much harder to find the eggs , but most of those found had hatched .
Most happy to find the ones rescued from the flail and wired into the area of naturally laid ones
had hatched , one with the larva still feeding on it's egg . Not the best shot but didn't have my tripod with me .
Just hope now that not too many are lost to feeding young birds .
_MG_3096.JPG
_MG_3078.JPG
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

It would appear that the BH flight season has started at Spring Park , with a visitor to Hutchinsons Bank telling Martin that he had seen two
BHs last Sunday ( 26th. ) and had photographed one of them .
No sign yet at the Jackass Lane bridleway .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

A good 3 weeks earlier than last year , the first BH of the season appeared today at Jackass Lane Bridleway , Keston .
I had arranged to meet Keith , one of the original egg collectors from two years ago , to search the bridleway and to clear more bramble from the site . The cloud rolled in soon after arrival and things didn't look too encouraging , but at about 1245hrs. a brief spell of sunshine encouraged a female to enjoy the warmth . Once settled , she posed beautifully for about 15/20 minutes , before the cloud rolled back , and she was gone . We left the site smiling and hoping that she would be ' the first of many ' .
_MG_3941.JPG
_MG_3947.JPG
_MG_3952.JPG
_MG_3956.JPG
_MG_3970.JPG
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

There was also a record from a garden in Shortlands Bromley TQ 3968 a new Square, will have to update the map, its spreding fast.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Doing well in the west London suburbs too. Never expected to see them within 3 miles of home. A couple of surveyors a few days ago had over 30. I bumped into them with a friend & saw a couple of the lekking males in the trees & later saw 2 male & a female down on Creeping Thistle. Yesterday went back with my partner though was much cooler with plenty of cloud but again had same number on thistles, though one of them also nectared on some adjacent Yarrow. The female was so bright, looking golden. Long may they flourish!
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Meeting up with Keith again , it was hot work visiting three BH sites . The first at Fox Hill footpath failed to produce , but moving on to Jackass Lane Bridleway , we were rewarded with two female BHs , one in pristine condition and the other far from it , with a large portion of
_MG_4225.JPG
hindwings missing , probably from a bird attack .
_MG_4240.JPG
Our third stop was at Spring Park , West Wickham , where shortly after arrival a female flew up from the blackthorn that was cut to the ground
_MG_4248.JPG
last winter , and on landing on another plant , went about her business , egglaying , one of which was found .
Slow going this year , but those found make all the work over the last year worthwhile .
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Great Work Again Greenie ! Regards Allan.W.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

This is great news...especially if you are like me, an a lazy butterfly enthusiast/photographer, as in - i pretty much stay in Kent :roll:
I just may get to see one of these in Kent now? which would be a 1st (for me) for this species :D
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Greenie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:04 am It would appear that the BH flight season has started at Spring Park , with a visitor to Hutchinsons Bank telling Martin that he had seen two
BHs last Sunday ( 26th. ) and had photographed one of them .
No sign yet at the Jackass Lane bridleway .
Here are the photos of the first Kent Brown Hairstreaks of 2020, taken 26th July, by Phil Miles. and the distribution map in Bromley
KentBH1.jpg
KentBH2.jpg
BH Map Aug20.jpg
BH Map Aug20.jpg (63.96 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Managed just one and a half hours ' cooking ' on Jackass Lane Bridleway between 1030 and 1200 this morning .
But it turned out to be a productive visit with 4 BH sightings .
The first was before I even got the camera out , another female with hindwing damage , but not as bad as the one found on an earlier visit .
The second also had wing damage , but didn't stay in view for long .
_MG_4287.JPG
It was a hot long hour before the third sighting , a pristine female egg laying .
_MG_4297.JPG
The fourth was similar egg laying female , and she was looking to get finished and into shade .
_MG_4315.JPG
It wasn't only her who was looking for shade , the number of butterflies on view dropped very quickly over the visit , and I can't say I blame them for getting out of the sun .
I cycled home and arrived like a wet rag .
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

Eight days had passed since the last BH sightings along the bridleway , and I was beginning to think that it was all over . Today , fellow enthusiast Terry had travelled up to join Keith and myself for yet another search . With rain for most of yesterday and cloud rolling in to exclude the early morning sunshine , things did not look good as the three of us set off down Jackass Lane . Arriving at the previous ' hot-spot ' everything was very quiet . A bit further along the bridleway , and with some breaks in the cloud , it was Terry who spotted the first female as she dropped out of an Ash . But , no sooner seen than gone , as she headed over the hedge , but it was a start , and over the next couple of hours a minimum of 7 female BHs were seen . Needless to say the cameras were working overtime , and for Terry it was his first Kent hatched members of the species .
Things slowed down towards 1300 but as we made our way back to the cars , we were able to put a couple of other enthusiasts onto BHs .
It will be interesting to see if this is the real start of their emergence !
_MG_4581.JPG
_MG_4596.JPG
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

With the wind shifting into the North , it feels like the BH season might be coming to an end , but I did manage 3 sightings on Wednesday and a further 2 on Friday , bringing the sightings I am aware of on the Jackass Lane bridleway to 22 . That being said , the condition of those seen
_MG_4642.JPG
_MG_4644.JPG

has deteriorated , not surprising given the wind and rain that they have had to endure over the past week or so , but , even so they are still dutifully egg laying .
Now comes the mystery , and I haven't got a clue as to the reason .
Earlier in the year , the egg count at Spring Park was 67 , beating the 63 found at the Jackass Lane bridleway , and hopes were high for the site , and when Phil Miles had 2 sightings ( 1 photographed ) on the 26th.July , they were the first Kent sightings for the year . Since then I have spent many hours on the site , concentrating on either side of midday , and only once on the 8th. August on a visit with Keith , was a BH seen , an egg laying female . Six visits later , and I am aware of other local enthusiasts also visiting , but not another sighting .
The two sites are only 3-4 miles apart so basically get the same weather , but are miles apart on performance .
If anyone has any ideas , I would be pleased to hear them .
Next hurdle , the meeting with the Jackass Lane bridleway landowner , as to whether it will be ' flail ' or no ' flail ' this Winter ?

Return to “Sightings”