Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I fear you could be right about the weather Wurzel, fingers crossed you are not.
That Specklie shot was taken in one of the cloudier spells, hence the dull light.

Just a pity she didn't open up a bit more David. Lovely to see in any case.

Thanks Pauline. I thought you might like that one.

Monday 20th July.

Monday dawned once again with a blanket overcast that stuck around all day with just an occasional thinning to make it feel less gloomy. Nevertheless, with temperatures lurking around the mid teens, it did not feel too bad and so in the afternoon I walked down to my local spot at the side of Wagon Lane Park.

The first butterflies I noticed were a couple of Speckled Woods and during the hour or so I spent here I saw half a dozen males and a couple of females.
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Most of the other butterflies I saw were either put up as I wandered around or spotted basking and trying to make the most of the poor light. These included the expected Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers and a few Ringlets plus a couple of each of Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell (Sorry Trevor) and Comma.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Peacock - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020

Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
I also searched a couple of known spots for Small and Essex Skippers and found a few of each but these were roosting low down in the grass which involved some scuffling about on my hands and knees to get some shots, even using the vari-angle screen on my camera.
Essex Skipper -  Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
In the past I have seen the odd one or two Common Blues here and I was chuffed find a male flying about today in one of the few brighter spells when the clouds thinned just enough for the sun to be made out as a dim disc.
Common Blue -  Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Common Blue - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
I was even more pleased to find a male Brown Argus chasing after the Gatekeepers in one corner as this was the first time I have ever found this species here.
Brown Argus -  Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 20.07.2020
A few Small and Green-veined Whites were also seen but all in all there were not many butterflies about today, although there were just enough to lift the spirits on a mostly dull and gloomy day. Plus the Brown Argus was a welcome bonus being a first for this site.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Neil especially the oily sheen Brown Argus :D I love it when they catch the light like that 8) Looks like I was a bit pessimistic about the weather - better that an it turn out better than the other way round :wink: Fingers crossed :)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Brown Argus shot Neil :mrgreen: It's one I've missed some how down here, also the Small Heath, strange really when they're being seen every where else. Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Yes, the weather bucked up during this week although we have still had a lot of cloud here, especially in the afternoons.

Thanks Goldie, That is the first second brood Brown Argus I have seen here this year and Small Heaths seem to be between broods here too.

Tuesday 21st July.

Tuesday morning I went round to my mom's to do a bit of gardening as she now finds some of the heavier and more awkward jobs a bit much for her, not that I find some of the heavy stuff much easier these days myself but she is nearly thirty years older than me.
After doing the jobs in mom's garden, I went for a walk down to her local park just down the road. I have often been for a walk round there in the past when visiting but this year, first with the lockdown restrictions and then with our habit now of visiting both my mom and then going on to Jane's Mom on Fridays, I had not yet had a look this year.

The weather this morning was much improved from Monday with plenty of blue sky and warm sunshine. All the expected butterflies were seen including Speckled Wood, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Gatekeeper, Small Skipper and some random passing whites, all of which were very flighty with the late morning temperature up around 22-23 degrees.

A few fluffy white clouds were drifting across the sky and covered the sun occasionally prompting some of the butterflies to open their wings.
Gatekeeper - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Gatekeeper - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
One male Gatekeeper had the extra spots of ab. excessa.
Gatekeeper ab. excessa - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Gatekeeper ab. excessa - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
A couple of Peacocks and Commas were seen along with a single Red Admiral with just one of the Commas settling long enough for a photo.
Comma - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Comma - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
I also checked some large oaks and spotted a couple of Purple Hairstreaks flitting about the higher reaches. I think I am one of the only people to still not see a Purple Hairstreak low down this year, although I do realise that is probably because I am not usually out early enough for the best chances.

I only did a single circuit lasting about 30 minutes before returning to my mom's and then heading back home but it was nice to reacquaint myself with this little spot.

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The markings on those Speckled Woods seem particularly subdued, even for summer brood butterflies. That's a nice extra-spotted Gatekeeper too, Neil. None of the hundreds in my locality manages even the smallest of extra spots! :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was going to say about the lack of markings on that Specklie but Dave beat me to it Neil :D Cracking ab.excessa I've not seen one like that for a few years now 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful, velvety Speckled Wood, Neil. I guess he won't look like that after a week amongst the bramble blossom. :)

By the way, I'm also in your 'club' regarding Purple Hairstreaks. Not seen one lower than 15 feet this year, sadly.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for your comments Dave, Wurzel and David :)
Those Specklies were nice and new and I noticed that they looked more like those that appear in the autumn. Mind you the weather has felt a bit autumnal here on occasion lately :shock:

Wednesday 22th July

On Wednesday afternoon I decided to go and have a look at another local spot that I haven't been to yet this year, in fact I haven't been here for a few years now. This is not a self contained 'site' but rather a stretch of public footpath near to the village of Catherine-de-Barnes just outside of Solihull which heads back across farmland and some meadows back towards Solihull.
With the temperature in the low to mid twenties and lots of big fluffy clouds drifting across the sky it was a 'typical' summers day and plenty of butterflies were seen along the hedgerows that the path follows for most of the route. As expected these were mostly Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers with a few Ringlets still hanging on.
Gatekeeper male - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Gatekeeper male - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Gatekeeper female - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Gatekeeper female - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Where the path passed alongside some grassy meadows, good numbers of Small and Essex Skippers were also buzzing about.

In some of the corners of the meadows there were large patches of thistles and these would be covered in lots of Peacocks, I reckon I must have been something like 50 to 60 before I got to the end of my walk and retraced my steps.
Peacock - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Peacock - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
A few Small Tortoiseshells and Commas were often amongst all the Peacocks but usually just one or two of each on each patch of thistles.
Comma - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Comma - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
The stars of the afternoon for me however were Small Coppers with 15 to 18 seen, mostly in a couple of meadows towards the end of the walk. This may not seem like high numbers compared to areas like Dungeness or parts of Cornwall where I have seen high numbers before, but this is a species that usually only turns up in ones and twos around my patch with anything above half a dozen at any given site being notable. The condition of these varied with some being quite worn but others looking nice and fresh.
Small Copper - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
A few showed varying amounts of blue spotting and sods law dictated that the one with the best looking spots refused to sit still and pose nicely.
The last I saw of that particular individual was him chasing off after another male SC and despite lurking around that spot for a while I failed to see him again.

Most of those I saw were males which were quite obvious with their territorial posturing and habit of usually returning to favourite perches. Just one female was seen and she was in a different part of one of the meadows to where most of the males were chasing each other about.
Small Copper female - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Small Copper female - Henwood Lane 22.07.2020
Lots of whites were also flying here and numbers of both Small and Green-veined Whites have been increasing steadily recently. Still not many Large Whites around here although I am beginning to see a few more over the past couple of days.

A couple of Speckled Wood and a single Common Blue were also seen before thick clouds once again built up and it turned quite breezy which prompted me to make my way back.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking set of Coppers Neil :D It's always the way isn't it? I had a similar thing with a Valesina this year - she just wouldn't sit still whereas all of the other Silver-washed were falling over themselves to get in front of my lens :roll: Perhaps they're just being modest? :wink: :D

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. I suppose if it was too easy we would not have any challenges left. It all adds to the fun even if it can be a bit frustrating at times :wink: :D

Thursday 23rd July.

Yet another mostly overcast day although at least the temperature was up in the high teens which made it feel reasonably pleasant and even quite humid by the afternoon.

Around mid-morning I went for a walk to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park. When I walked through to the first meadow area I found that the grass had been cut and apart from a few Meadow Browns and gatekeepers around the edges there was very little butterfly activity in this part. A couple of nettle beds had also been cut down along with a few Small Tortoiseshell larval nests that I had seen on them last week. To be honest, I was expecting this spot to be cut sometime as it always is around this time of year but there are other parts of the site which are left alone and this is where the largest nettle beds are with most of the Small Tortoiseshell larvae.

As I moved on more butterflies were soon seen including more Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers plus a couple each of Speckled Wood, Comma, Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell.
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Also a Red Admiral that had seen better days.
Red Admiral - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Red Admiral - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Quite a few Essex Skippers were seen, including a mating pair, but Small Skipper numbers have now dropped and those I saw were all looking tired and faded.
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Essex Skipper - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Essex Skipper pair -  Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Essex Skipper pair - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
After finding the single male Common Blue here at the beginning of the week I was pleased to find another three today in a different part of the site.
Common Blue -  Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Common Blue - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
I also managed to re-connect with the Brown Argus from the other day (the first for this site)...well, I thought I did but close scrutiny of the photo afterwards showed it to be a different individual. This one was a bit more faded, which could be explained by a few days wear, but the discal spot is smaller and the orange lunules are slightly different.
Brown Argus -  Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
Brown Argus - Wagon Lane 23.07.2020
A few Small and Green-veined Whites also were seen flying about along with a single Large White during the hour or so I spent here this time.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"A couple of nettle beds had also been cut down"...somehow they always seem to pick the worst spot to cut back and a lot of the I can't fathom why they need to cut back at all? :roll:
A cracking set of images as always Neil but that Comma really stands out for me - such a vibrant ginger colour :D 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

It'll be interesting to see how the second brood Common Blues do given that the first enjoyed a prolonged warm, sunny spell during its flight period.

You've caught that Essex Skipper beautifully, Neil. I daresay it won't be too long before they reach my neck of the woods on the Gower; they've already been recorded in Bridgend.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. Cutting the meadows is a bit of a balance. Despite being relatively small, this site is split into three distinct areas separated by dense hedgerow and there is a mixture of cutting regime. The one area has been cut a couple of times this year but despite this has been full of butterflies between cuts. A second area is never cut, I believe due to difficult access, and is full of rank grass which supports relatively few butterflies. The third area is cut on a rotational basis with approx a third of the area cut at any one time and supports the greatest diversity of species.

Thanks David. The first brood were not particularly numerous around my patch but, although it is early days yet, the second brood is already looking to be doing better.

Friday 24th July.

Friday morning again so no prizes for guessing where I went. Yep, back to Blythe Valley Park again after dropping Jane off at her Mom's for a couple of hours.
The morning was quite pleasant with good spells of warm sun alternating with banks of cloud that built up as the morning progressed, until by the time I left just after midday to pick up Jane, it was once again 100% overcast.

Along with the usual Small and Green-veined Whites I saw a few more Large Whites than of late, about half a dozen, and one of them even settled for me to get a shot, one of the few I have managed of this species so far this year.
Large White - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Large White - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Lots of Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers were here again, including a mating pair of the latter.
Gatekeeper pair - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Gatekeeper pair - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
I found a single Small Copper here today, a nice male with a decent set of blue spots.
Small Copper - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Small Copper - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Second brood Common Blue numbers are now starting to build here with a good dozen or more males seen along with half a dozen new females.
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Common Blue male - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Common Blue female - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
Some of these were already involved in ensuring the continuation of the species here with three mating pairs spotted.
Common Blue pair - Blythe Valley 24.07.2020
A few Peacocks and a couple of Commas were seen but no Small Tortoiseshells this morning. This must be the first time for a few weeks now that I have not seen a Small Tortoiseshell.

Another pleasant couple of hours at a site that I have enjoyed visiting more often this year and seeing the changes as the season progresses.

Bye for now and Stay safe,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Female Common Blues are a particular favourite of mine, and there are some lovely ones you've come across there Neil, from right across the spectrum of blueness. :) They seem to be doing well in their second brood, having had a pretty good first round as well - assuming the weather doesn't collapse horribly in September, there could well be a decent third brood too. :) You've been seeing some really nice Small Coppers as well, with their characteristic endless variety. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Terrific female Common Blues there Neil ,a favourite of mine also ,i struggled to find any in the first brood ,but thankfully
things have now improved and i,m seeing them in good numbers ,also of interest ,i had a female Gatekeeper in the trap last evening.
Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of female Common Blues Neil - I don't think that I've seen a properly Brown one for a few years now :D :mrgreen: Lovely Blue Badger too 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Dave. The Common Blues were actually fairly thin on the ground around here this year, early signs are that the second brood will be better, which is often the case with many species. I have never seen a definite third brood Common Blue around here although the summer brood usually extends from late July through August and September.

Thanks Allan. Numbers of Common Blues seem to be building nicely here to. I have had a Speckled Wood in the trap before but not a Gatekeeper...yet.

Cheers Wurzel. We still get a good mixture of females here with blue ones seeming to be on the increase over the past few years.

Sunday 26th July.

Saturday was a horrible day here, very windy and some torrential rain showers all day and into the night.

The rain stopped sometime overnight and Sunday was much better with some decent warm sunny spells, particularly in the morning.

The usual selection of butterflies were seen in the garden during the day, including a female Holly Blue that stopped for a refuel on some ragwort that I leave growing in a patch of long grass.
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Holly Blue female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Green-veined White - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Green-veined White - Coverdale 26.07.2020

Tuesday 28th July.

Back to a dull grey overcast for most of the day on Monday which included some periods of drizzle and rain showers, fortunately none as heavy as we had on Saturday.

Tuesday was better again, well at least it was dry but with a cool wind and plenty of cloud. Even so, a few spells of sun brought the usual butterflies out in the garden including four Gatekeepers that were there at the same time, two males and two females.
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 28.07.2020
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 28.07.2020
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 28.07.2020
Gatekeeper male - Coverdale 28.07.2020
At one point in the afternoon I spotted a blur of motion on one of my buddleias which I almost ignored as I often see Silver Y moths like this. A second look however proved this one to be a Hummingbird Hawk Moth. Sods law dictated that my camera was in the house when I spotted it and so ensued a mad dash inside to grab it and back out again to take a few quick shots before it disappeared. I was in such a rush that I didn't even think to put it on sports mode otherwise I would probably have got some better shots but under the circumstances I was reasonably happy with the results.
Hummingbird Hawk Moth - Coverdale 28.07.2020
This is the first HBHM that I have ever had in the garden although I have seen plenty before, usually when down in Dorset or Cornwall.

Just goes to show that even on days with borderline conditions, you never know what might turn up.

Neil
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Garden Moths update – July.

Throughout July, I have continued to put various pheromone lures out in the garden when conditions seemed suitable (which hasn't been that often here) and have had some more success, although I have so far failed to attract a Six-belted Clearwing here.

I have had a few more Lunar Hornet Moths to the LUN lure, all arriving before midday and in all sorts of conditions including quite thick overcast.
Lunar Hornet Moth - Coverdale 16.07.2020
Lunar Hornet Moth - Coverdale 16.07.2020
The most successful day was on the 17th which was warm and sunny all day. I deployed the LUN lure down the bottom of the garden in the morning and had a couple more Lunar Hornet Moths to it.
In the afternoon I brought the LUN lure in and put the VES lure out and had no less than 5 Yellow-legged Clearwings. The first two arrived mid afternoon and I potted them so as not to count them again and later in the afternoon had another three in the trap together.
Yellow-legged Clearwing - Coverdale 17.07.2020
The conditions for running the normal trap this month have continued to be very unsettled with wild swings between clear and cold, and cloudier nights which were usually milder although often a bit breezy. We have also had a lot of rain here with some torrential downpours, both during the day and at night.

Total numbers of moths to the trap continue to be on the low side for the time of year although species numbers are still holding up pretty well with a total to date of 202 (124 macro and 78 micro species).

A selection below of some my favourites from this month,
Swallow-tailed Moth - Coverdale 12.07.2020
Swallow-tailed Moth - Coverdale 12.07.2020
Scalloped Oak - Coverdale 12.07.2020
Scalloped Oak - Coverdale 12.07.2020
Scalloped Oak - Head on view of the one above
Scalloped Oak - Head on view of the one above
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing - Coverdale 16.07.2020
Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing - Coverdale 16.07.2020
White Satin - Coverdale 21.07.2020
White Satin - Coverdale 21.07.2020
Ruby Tiger - Coverdale 21.07.2020
Ruby Tiger - Coverdale 21.07.2020
A Poplar Hawk Moth on the night of the 21st would be a second generation with these being increasingly double brooded as far north as Scotland.
Poplar Hawk Moth - Coverdale 21.07.2020
Poplar Hawk Moth - Coverdale 21.07.2020
I had a September Thorn on the night of 23rd which was quite worn and looked like it had already been around for a while. This species has an unfortunate name really as it actually flies from July to early October, as does the very similar August Thorn, a fact which often leads to confusion between the two species.
September Thorn - Coverdale 21.07.2020
September Thorn - Coverdale 21.07.2020
Some nights I get loads of 'grass moths' of the family Crambidae and have previously identified 8 different species in my garden, although the vast majority are made up of 2 or 3 species depending on the time of year. Just to prove that it can pay to look a bit more closely at these, on the night of 15th July I had a beautiful example of Catoptria pinella which was a new one for the garden.
Catoptria pinella - Coverdale 21.07.2020
Catoptria pinella - Coverdale 21.07.2020
All in all, I am seeing a good variety in my garden this year with 8 new species of macro and 9 new micros so far, although with total numbers of moths still on the low side as mentioned above, it is definitely a case of quality over quantity.

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Excellent Neil ! Some great pictures there , your trappings seem very similar to mine ,i,ve had high numbers of Scalloped Oak
and Ruby Tigers ,but by far the most numerous,at present are the Rustic/Lesser Common Rustic . I had a try for Orange tailed Clearwings yesterday ,where back in late May i had up to six to the lure ...................yesterday ,not one ,think thats it for them this season .
Earlier in the year (as you know )there was an influx of different Fern (Horisme Tersata ) ie;Cryptic or Dark Fern ,and i was fortunate enough to trap one ,i caught another last night ,but haven,t heard of any more as yet.
Regards Allan.W.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You have excelled yourself this time with those moth shots Neil! I can always rely on your diary for high quality images and reports. Love the shot of the Poplar Hawk moth, the Hummingbird Hawk moth and that Lunar Hornet moth - never even knew such a thing existed :roll: .... and yes, it was a Ruby Tiger in my trap as your photo has confirmed.

Return to “Personal Diaries”