Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Goldie M

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done Goldie, you deserve a bit of luck, and great pictures, too!

Hope you continue to enjoy your time down here.

If you’re worried about the gulls, Hold a stick above your head when you go out.

Looking foreword to more pictures!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! ernie, I thought the black spot was large on the Cloudy, but I've got shots of them before , I might say, Quick shot's, not as close as these, so I wouldn't really know of any difference. :D
The Butterfly hopped from flower to flower into all kinds of different positions which was great and when the Sun caught it I was lucky. :D

Hi! Pauline, I'm just going along with the flow here :D The last two day's we've been out to lunch twice always sitting outside but it felt great :D I've not been lucky with the Butterflies , I went back to EBW's but no White Admiral and the Heath Frit's had vanished
mind you the weather wasn't great very cloudy, hope fully we'll be off to Temple Ewell later in the the week :D

Hi! Dave, at least catching the Butterflies got you interested in them whilst still young, Seasalter still seems to attract them, it would be great if they were actually local, when I've seen them over the years they always seem to come down from Seaward and head inland, I couldn't believe my luck when this one didn't move on, it almost posed for shots :lol:

Hi! Allan, thanks for the info, I think I'll find them some day, that's a bit too far to travel though, we don't like leaving the dog for too long because he's just getting use to his new surroundings and we don't like taking him in the car because of the heat.
Hope fully we may try the other place you mentioned Kneading Trough, but I'll have to do some persuading on that :lol:

Many thanks for that info Trevor, we thought the Gull would just fly off but it may land in the Garden so we'll keep an eye out for it. I hope you That Gull didn't hurt you !!!

Hi! essex, we haven't got a stick but we'll use an umbrella now :lol: Glad you liked the pictures I'm off to get some more if, it doesn't rain :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you're having a good time, Goldie, and that Clouded Yellow is the pièce de resistance; it's beautifully marked and very richly coloured.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Goldie, how long are you down for? If you are here until the end of this month, you should get to see the first Silver Spotted Skippers emerge at Lydden Temple Ewell reserve!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks David, it was a lovely surprise and i'm really pleased with the shots :D If I can get more Butterfly shots similar I'll be happy :D The weather's been very cloudy here these last few days so nothing much to report but when the Sun appears again we'll be off to Temple Ewell. :D

Hi! essex, only another week so I'll miss a few Butterflies unfortunately , my Daughter came for me in the car so I expect I'll travel back the same way, if I can get some shots of the Chalkhill's and the Marble White I'll be happy, I'd also like a shot of a White Admiral but may be they' could be nearly finished now. :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I thought I'd just stick these shots in taken in East Blean Woods, it was very dark in there the Sun had gone and I forgot to change my Camera from Sun to shade :roll: I also took a Quick shot of the Admiral again on the pegs in my Daughters garden:D Goldie :D
Attachments
BCC46A1F-AC63-4499-860F-6E119C4B3711_1_201_a.jpeg
BA46482F-B0DA-426D-BD96-B53D529440A1_1_201_a.jpeg
E614C285-644E-45DA-AE0C-D8E842C4575D_1_201_a.jpeg
10528A75-1978-4561-8318-1BF3D32F3216_1_201_a.jpeg
99153294-7B40-4386-9622-F5870D9FF882_1_201_a.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie,
As Essex has said ,if you particularly wanting Chalkhill s,before your return, Temple Ewell/Lydden is your closest (and best,bar Dover cliffs ) bet ,you could also get lucky
with an early SSS ,I know they do emerge early here in some seasons ,and I,m pretty sure that the warden has already started looking for them
Of course you may also bump into a Cloudy or two !
home from my hols next week so may bump into you up there (still on furlough !) Regards Allan.W.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Goldie. Glad to see it looks like you are having a good time down in Kent with a cracking selection of butterflies.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots from East Blean Goldie - your Gatekeeper is an ab.excessa as it's got the (tiny) brown spot in the orange on the fore wing :D Good luck with the Chalkhills - I saw a few the other day and it was really cloudy but that helped as they were more settled, sometimes a bit of cloud is the butterfliers friend :wink: :D Good luck with the rest of the holiday :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Allan, I went to Temple Ewell yesterday and was entertained by the Chalkhills :lol:

Hi! Neil, I've certainly seen loads of Butterflies and really enjoyed myself in-between with lunch's out etc :D

Hi! Wurzel, I'd another good day yesterday, saw the Chalkhills and also had lunch out, (treat from my Son-in-Law) with glass of wine included :D He didn't come though :lol:
I did wonder about that ab, that's my second this year, I have a photo I took yesterday of the Chalkhills in Cop, I think the Female could be an ab?

We went to Temple Ewell yesterday, boy was it hot, the Chalkhills were all over the Dog Poo :lol: I've never seen so many gathered together :lol: I counted at least 13 at one point. I was also in my element when I saw the Marbled White's they were a little more used than the Chalk's who were in really good condition, strangely I only saw a few Common Blue, there were still loads of Meadow Browns, also Gate Keepers but I was a bit disappointed on not seeing a Small Heath or a Brown Argus, still, another week to go.Goldie :D
Attachments
D18FAE48-B7BB-4A27-81EF-C6A43A1DB433.jpeg
FEBF2E30-14E1-4FB8-8E6F-5CA0630BACAA_1_201_a.jpeg
1814A6CF-8771-4B85-9D00-258310B7C29E.jpeg
9A301CDF-3953-40E1-93D0-4C12C1AE8191.jpeg
F248DB4C-0E8C-43CA-8D07-9338D3BBB074.jpeg
9B8F3813-9592-4581-959F-CBEBA821C276.jpeg
FABA3E9D-0479-4AB5-BA83-8A9EEA75774E.jpeg
853E735E-24D7-480D-AFF6-3D7F5DA194A9.jpeg
B569447C-E1E4-47FC-B3AE-00277D56C9E1_1_201_a.jpeg
54A159B4-CD7C-4A45-B22C-0A93319801F9.jpeg
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well done Goldie, absolutely delighted for you-you deserve it.

Great place is that, my favourite Kent site for sure, and surprisingly little visited.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I see what you mean about the female Chalkhill Goldie - 'definitely differently marked' (this is my p.c. term that I've come up with for aberrants and oddities :wink: :lol: ) :D
Cracking sequence of shts - the first couple in particular are brilliantly evocative :D 8) Keep on having a great holiday 8)

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Goldie. :D You must have been in your element!

So pleased for you after all that's gone on lately. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, it was a good day out and with the weather being so nice very enjoyable especially when the weather at home has been wet. :D

Hi! Wurzel this holiday just gets better and better :D the Butterflies I thought I'd missed I finally got :lol:

Many thanks David, it's been great so far :lol:

Well!! where do I start, :D yesterday we went to Dover to the cliffs, it was lovely, we'd a cream tea, (out side of course) and then we climbed slowly to the top of the slope and found a very sheltered spot where lots of Butterflies were flying these included Marble Whites, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Gate Keepers , MB's ,CB's, Chalk Hill's, the CHB's were not seen on the lower slopes, I was very pleased to see a Small Copper, also Small Skipper's, I'll post a few but the today was even better. :D

We went to Reculver again, we didn't expect to see too much but the cafe there is excellent :D We walked down the path at the side until we came to the wall,( which was being repaired) every thing to the left of the path had been levelled :roll: There was plenty of flora on the wall in places and that's when I spotted what looked like Wall Butterfly it stopped just once and I took a shot not thinking or knowing if it was a Wall it's stay was so brief, I was lucky :D

On the way back to the house we passed East Blean Wood, so we went there on the off chance there might be some thing and boy was there :D The Admiral wasn't in great shape but he was good enough to flim:D
Attachments
2F015B9D-3215-4854-A8CE-B6278172BDF9_1_201_a.jpeg
ADD264A4-336C-4911-8EFD-5BBBC742E2C5_1_201_a.jpeg
Dover
Dover
Dover
Dover
0420B5CB-4BD3-4D7E-BE8B-1F18028862FE_1_201_a.jpeg
My Daughter's house on Wisteria
My Daughter's house on Wisteria
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
EBW
Reculver
Reculver
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You did well with the Wall Goldie - they can be right pains - possibly one of the hardest butterflies to get photos of :D 8) Love the Purps and the Small Copper is a 'Blue Badge" 8) :D Keep on enjoying the holiday - and keep a look out for Silver-spotted Skippers (if they're over that way that is) - they're out now! :wink: :D

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, i was so pleased when I saw it was a Wall Butterfly :D The PHS's were fairly active and high up in the branches so I was pleased to get the shots, :D There are Silver SS's at Temple Ewell But I seemed to have dragged my Daughter all over the place so we may get back there but I'm not sure!!! I'm happy any way with the shots I've got so far, most were unexpected and I've had such a great holiday with the family :D I'm off to see my Grandson's playing Cricket on Saturday , I'll be taking my camera along for more than family Photo's :lol: Goldie :D
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Fantastic to hear, Goldie. Sounds like you’re having a great time!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Looking at your shots, you've certainly made the most of your Kent visit,
and photographed an amazing array of species.

A mrgreen for the Purple Hairstreak :mrgreen:

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Pleased to see that you,re having a good trip ! I was at Temple Ewell from about 7.45 - 10.00 am on Monday ,and apart from 1 possible fly-by
I never noticed any SSS ,but as you already know ...........hundreds of Chalkhills .
I did see a single second brood Dingy Skipper ,and kept my eyes open for 2nd brood Wall ............but again ,no joy !
Common Blues (for me !) are very thin on the ground ,and amongst the hoards of Chalkhills ,i only saw 4 or 5 ,and 1 Brown Argus .
A short footnote to the above , a visit to Dungeness yesterday ,finally found Common Blues in good numbers ,and also at another site near
home .
Regards Allan.W.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great stuff from down in Kent Goldie, looks like you are having a fantastic time :D

Jealous of the Purple Hairstreak :mrgreen: , although I have seen a few high up, I think I am the only one now that hasn't taken a photos of one low down this year :roll:

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”