New Canon 50d

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

New Canon 50d

Post by Gruditch »

Hamearis

Re: New Canon 50d

Post by Hamearis »

[quote]Clear View LCD
The 3.0” 920,000 dot VGA LCD screen offers exceptional clarity, perfect for checking the focus and composition of your images. The large viewing angle coupled with Live View mode makes photography at awkward angles a breeze.
[/quote]
Peraps JackH will get a descent camera now no excuses.
Ham
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Thanks for the "heads up" on this one Gary.
Very nice. Just when I thought I had all the gear I wanted :wink:
15MPs - huge enlargements!!
6.3 fps and 90 JPEG burst - that is 14.3 secs of continuous shooting.- brilliant.
I also like the high ISO - if they have improved the alreay brilliant low noise, then life just gets better and better.
The price tag (warehouseexpress) of £1200 body only is a bit steep, but ought to come down in a few months.
Anyway, as the Grand Poobah of The Canonista, shouldn't I be entitled to a freebie?
I really thought the 5D replacement would have been anounced before the 40D replacement - but perhaps it will be phased out as the 50D spec is closing on the 1DS range?
Unless full frame 20MPs is on the cards?..........

Roger
Cheers

Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

I think the 50D is to run alongside, or be it above the 40D. With the £400 deference in rec retail, plus the fact that the 40D has only run for one year, and is still selling like hot cakes, it would make sense. I have a nasty feeling that a certain someone within my own household, will be making me very jealous soon. :(

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

And they are not the only one. :wink:

Denise
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

I just got the email from warehouseexpress re this new model - talk about dangling a carrot! I checked out dpreview - it looks very nice. Will like to see how reviews rate it when people get hold of it. For example - im sure i saw the D5 cheaper than the D50 - so how do you choose? Is full frame better than having the D50 with its high res live view, high res C-type sensor. Mind you im in dreamland - i still need to master the 400D - but im jealous of the images some of you are producing on the high end consummer models. I wonder how the new model compares withthe likes of the Nikon d300? A friend has just bought it and told me of the huge number of autofocusing points compared with Canons meagre 9?

Still not got my sigma 150mm macro - i just cant make decisions these days!

Mark
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

As a Canon owner, you shouldn't have a mate with a Nikon, I use manual focus 99% of the time while doing macro work and usually prefer to use only the centre spot in auto focus. :) No full frame is not so good for macro or wild life photography, I will let the Grand Poobah explain further. I assure you if you take a the same pic with a 400D and a 40D, only an expert would be able to tell the difference. I think your find the reason why most of the shots taken by the guys with the higher end stuff looks Superior, is because in most cases, this isn't their first DSLR they have been using one for a few years, so they have learnt their craft. 8)
Canon seem to be in the middle of changing its model range, for some time Canon have run the 1 series at their top end, plus the full frame 5D, then came the entry level model and the keen amature/skint pro model. Canon have traditionally changed these lower models every 18 months, the 300D, became the 350D, and that became the 400D. While the 10D was followed by the 20D, then the 30D, and now the 40D. But at the moment we also have the new 450D that is running above the 400D and the 1000D that is running below. Now Canon has introduced the 50D to run above the 40D, it all looks a bit congested to me. I would expect that when the demand for 400D and the 40D drops off, they won't be replaced, what I would expect to see in the Canon range would be the 1000 and its successors to be their entry level camera, I would predict that in a years time when the 450D comes up for renewal, you will see a fantastic but still compact and lightweight replacement ( the 500D ) which will take the space in the market that the 40D now holds, and I suspect the 50D and it's successor's too be £1000 plus bracket, the area that Canon lacked a model. Still confused. :?

Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

The Canon 50D release and subsequent Nikon D90 announcement just underline how Nikon have not only stolen a march on Canon but also are winning the marketing battle. Not for the first time I'm considering the move to Nikon - they just seem way further in touch with what 'togs actually want. One nail for me was that the 50D still only has +/- 2.0 exposure compensation (Nikons have 5.0!) - a fairly minor point until I come to sunrises/sets (and that I've been used to, and used, +/- 3.0 on my 3 year old Sigma SD10!). Only things stopping me is the investment in lenses - and finding the cash to get a D300! :)
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Wash you mouth out Mark. :evil:

With main manufactures changing their camera body's so often, it will always be a ding dong battle, no sooner you change to one, the other steels a march. I'm real happy with my 40D, and don't intend to invest in a new body for at least 3 years, God only knows what will be around then, 80D ?. :?

Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Gruditch wrote:Wash you mouth out Mark. :evil:
LOL! I agree in principle (not with the washing mouth out, obviously!) except Canon seems seriously derailed with their pursuit of MPs rather than lower noise (which appears to be Nikon's goal). Be interesting to see "real life" shots with the 50D and how it copes with noise - downside to Nikon is that their good lenses, whilst better than Canon's top end are priced accordingly! Canon do still do good value good lenses! :)
eccles

Post by eccles »

It's no longer a two horse race you know. :roll:
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

eccles wrote:It's no longer a two horse race you know. :roll:
Coming from owning a Sigma SD10, I've never really thought so (and has still produced my best shots - over 350D and 30D)
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

eccles wrote:It's no longer a two horse race you know.
Sorry, your right of course Eccles, I forgot that Sigma make Camera's too. :D

Gruditch
eccles

Post by eccles »

They do indeed. I hear you can sometimes actually get Sigma lenses for them too, although I've never seen any.
NickB

Post by NickB »

bugmadmark wrote: I wonder how the new model compares withthe likes of the Nikon d300? A friend has just bought it and told me of the huge number of autofocusing points compared with Canons meagre 9?

Mark
The answer is 51! Mind you, when you have a small subject that moves, they don't half jump around! (Like Gruditch I use centre-weighted, but generally the autofocus is better than my manual attempts!)

It IS useful for landscapes, to get the part that you really need to be in focus, by cycling thro' the areas that it chooses each time you half-press the shutter.

And, yes, buying a camera is like a new computer purchase - when you've unwrapped it and set it up, you find a better offer, or new model announced, the first time you use it to surf the 'net! (I bought a D300 and then they bring out the 700, which is full-frame and then there's the forthcoming 900. S**t!)
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Chasing the latest models is a fruitless exercise, your better off investing in good glass. :wink:

As for the new Canon 50D, it better produce some Bl@@dy good images, you can pick up a 40D for as little as £600, so the 50D's £1200 price tag makes it a big investment, especially as it will be old hat in 18 months. :shock:

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Gruditch wrote:Chasing the latest models is a fruitless exercise, your better off investing in good glass. :wink:
Gruditch
Indeed! Tho' if you (like Gruditch and I) live with another photographer you may find that "lens envy" can be a problem! :roll:
N
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

You may also find that when their Macro is at the menders, yours go's missing. :evil:

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Yeah - And when their D200 is much slower to autofocus with the 300mm than your D300, you may find that when your partner goes shooting her rugby matches (!) on Saturday's for instance, you mysteriously get left with the D200 for your butterflies! (Not that I'm bitter and twisted about it at all :x )
N

Return to “Photography”