Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by David M »

Those Marbled Whites are immaculate, Neil. :mrgreen: Fewer species are lovelier when freshly emerged.

I'm itching to get out and find a few myself!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Hoping to get out and find some locally soon.

Tuesday 9th June – part 2.

From Leaving Bishops Hill, Harbury Spoilbank is only few minutes drive up the road. This Warwickshire Wildlife Trust reserve is on banks of lias clay spoil thrown up from when the Leamington to Oxford Railway was constructed in the 1840s and consists of two areas either side of a short central path from the entrance. I have been here before, like today, sometimes after visiting Bishops Hill, but usually earlier in the year when looking for Dingy and Grizzled Skippers.
There is an open meadow area to the right of the entrance path and this looked the likeliest area for Dark Green Fritillaries and so this is where I started looking. No sooner had I gone through the gate into this area when I spotted one flitting about from flower to flower. There were numerous dandelion or hawkweed type flowers in this area and as I looked I spotted more and more DGFs flying about and nectaring on them. The conditions by now were pleasantly warm with the temperature in the high teens and about 50% cloud which meant that the DGFs were active but not so much that I couldn't sneak up and get some photos.
Dark Green Fritillaries - Harbury Spoilbank 09.06.2020
Dark Green Fritillary - Harbury Spoilbank 09.06.2020
Allowing for double counting, I reckon there were about 14-15 Fritillaries in this side of the reserve. I also saw another 4 in the other side when I had a look there a bit later before leaving. This other side of the reserve was looking very scrubbed up compared with how I remember it from the last time I visited a few years ago and this was reflected in the lower number of Fritillaries seen there.

All but one of those that I saw were males, mostly looking nice and fresh but with a couple already showing damaged wings, probably from bird strikes. Just the one female was seen which unfortunately looked as if she had also suffered an attack by a bird with a hindwing and the tip of her abdomen looking damaged.
Dark Green Fritillary female - Harbury Spoilbank 09.06.2020
Dark Green Fritillary female - Harbury Spoilbank 09.06.2020
Curiously, apart from the DGFs, the only other butterflies that I saw here were all Small Tortoiseshells with something like 15-18 seen, mostly in the open area with the DGFs. I must admit that I didn't take many photos of these as my attention was mostly on the Fritillaries. I guess that just shows how many Small Tortoiseshells I am (happily) seeing this year.
Small Tortoiseshell - Harbury Spoilbank 09.06.2020
I kept my eye out for a DGF settled with wings closed for an underwing shot but despite the clouds covering the sun on occasion, they were all settling with wings spread. Oh well, can't have everything and I was chuffed enough to just see them all flying around me.

A cracking day and given the weather that we have had here since then I definitely picked the best one of the week.

Bye for now and stay safe,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Brilliant DGFs, Neil! Simply gorgeous butterflies. :) I see some of yours were doing something I've observed in the past, which is to sit and bask companionably in pairs or sometimes more. They seem to seek each other out somehow (though they are difficult to miss!). Good to see numbers of Small Tortoiseshells too - I wonder if there are nettle beds that have gone unmown this year allowing more to survive?

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Stunning images, Neil. Every butterfly fresh and vibrant.
I don't think that female DGF will contribute to the next generation.

The silly season has started!.
Keep well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the DGFs Neil - the really really fresh ones light up the screen :D Mind you my favourite is that female - a lovely dusky lady :wink: :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely DGF's Neil, I'll have to go to Southport to see them in the Dunes, a bit to far at present :roll: :D Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Stunning DGF photos Neil. Those Small Tortoiseshell photos are a bit special too. Really crisp, pristine looking specimens.
David M

Post by David M »

You've captured those DGFs really well, Neil. They can be difficult subjects but they are voracious feeders and will often stick around when they've found a good nectar source.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for the comments Dave, Trevor, Wurzel, Goldie, Otep and David :D
millerd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 pm ...I see some of yours were doing something I've observed in the past, which is to sit and bask companionably in pairs or sometimes more...

Cheers,

Dave
Yes, I have seen this behaviour in the past myself, both with Dark Greens and also High Browns. They nearly always seem to pick spots where the grass has been flattened a bit, either on animal trails or where foxes or deer have been lying down.
millerd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:50 pm ...Good to see numbers of Small Tortoiseshells too - I wonder if there are nettle beds that have gone unmown this year allowing more to survive?

Cheers,

Dave
Not sure about that around here Dave, as soon as they could our local council were out scalping the verges. I reckon it is more to do with the good numbers that came out of hibernation in spring and then lots of warm weather that enabled the next brood to get through their development quickly.
trevor wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:00 am ...I don't think that female DGF will contribute to the next generation.

Trevor.
Indeed Trevor. Such a shame.

Saturday 13th June.

From Wednesday onwards last week, the weather went downhill and was unseasonally cold with the temperatures barely rising in to the low teens. A cold wind from the north along with a gloomy grey overcast on most days made it feel like we had prematurely passed from summer into autumn. We also had quite a bit of rain with some really heavy downpours at times, although there is no denying that we needed that.

Following another good soaking of rain on Friday night, Saturday brightened up considerably with some nice sunny spells in the morning. I was in the kitchen around mid morning and looking out of the window spotted something fluttering around one of the bowles mauve, so grabbed the camera and went out to have a look and found my first summer Comma.
Comma - Coverdale 13.06.2020
By the afternoon there was about 50/50 cloud and blue skies with some nice warm sunshine so I decided to have a walk down to my local spot by Wagon Lane Park to see if anything was about.

The first butterflies I saw were a couple of Small Tortoiseshell chasing each other about above a bank of brambles and as I watched them I saw a few others, making something like half a dozen around this patch. I then carried on around the outside of this first area and reckon I counted at least 17 or 18 Small Tortoiseshells, mostly on and around the various bramble patches along the boundary hedges.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
I then walked along the path that passes though the tall hedge line into a second area where I immediately started seeing more Small Tortoiseshells. This second area also has some large patches of brambles around the boundary hedges and as I wandered along these I reckon I counted a further 23 Small Tortoiseshells. As usual, being wary of double counting, this was very much a minimum number and there could well have been more.

All of these were very active in the warm afternoon sun but the clouds slowed them down just enough for some photos. I have mentioned before that I think that Small Tortoiseshells are a surprisingly variable species so have chosen a few shots below to illustrate this.
A different view of the one above - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
A different view of the one above - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
At one point a larger, darker butterfly showed itself to be a nice Red Admiral, a female I think, which kept trying to nectar on the brambles but was rarely left in peace for long by the Tortoiseshells. I have also noticed before that, in warm sunshine, Red Admirals have a tendency to go into the brambles to get bit of shade.
Red Admiral - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
I then circled back to my starting point and was walking back though the first area when I spotted a second Red Admiral, this one definitely a female that was fluttering around some fresh nettle growth in part of the meadow that had previously been cut. I watched as she checked the nettles and appeared to occasionally lay on them but going to have a look after she had carried on I only found the one actual egg.
Red Admiral egg - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
Red Admiral egg - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
Apart from the Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals mentioned above, the only other butterflies I saw was a single fresh Green-veined White that wouldn't sit still long enough for a photo and a single Large Skipper.
Large Skipper  - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
Large Skipper - Wagon Lane 13.06.2020
I expected to find Meadow Browns and Ringlets here today which was part of my reason for coming for a look. I also found a single Marbled White here a couple of years ago but none of these were seen this time. Mind you, I can't complain at 40 odd Small Tortoiseshells in what after all is a fairly small area surrounded by housing.

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stiff Neil :D I'd go for female for the first Red Admiral; a lovely rounded abdomen :D That H.Comma is gurt lush - it looks almost unreal 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Those are good numbers of Small Totoiseshells, and images of some lovely individuals to support it.

They are around in force here in S. Wales right now, and there has also been a recent surge in Red Admiral numbers too. Still not seen a summer brood Comma yet though. :(
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, lovely shots, We're short on the Red Admirals here, only seen the one or two, or Comma's seen, that could change if we get some Sun for more than an hour. :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel. That Comma does look a bit garish on the bowles mauve.

Thanks David. I have seen a few more Commas and Red Admirals since then.

Thanks Goldie. Sunday and Monday were decent here but it has gone downhill since then with thunderstorms and heavy downpours.

I don't know if the storms are affecting our internet but I've been loosing connection on and off all day. I tried to post the next report a couple of times so far without success so let's hope I stay connected long enough this time.

Sunday 14th June.

The weather forecast said that we may get the odd isolated thunderstorm on Saturday night but what we actually got was three distinctly separate episodes of thunder and lightning with clear breaks in between. The first thunder arrived around 7.00pm which was accompanied by a short spell of rain. There was a second bout around an hour later and this heralded a downpour of biblical proportions that went on for some time. The final load rolled in about 10.00pm with steady rain that carried on until past midnight. I am not sure what time it finally finished as I had gone to sleep by then.

Needless to say, the garden was extremely wet first thing on Sunday morning but with a few warm sunny spells it is surprising how quickly it dries out at this time of year.

With a bit of time to myself on the afternoon I decided to pop around to my local spot at Castle Hills, despite the forecast threatening more thundery showers.
Meadow Browns were certainly out in numbers here now and during the couple of hours I spent wandering around the various paths I must have seen hundreds. By now it had turned into a rather warm and muggy afternoon and they were almost constantly on the move although some would occasionally stop for a refuel on some tall thistles.
Meadow Brown - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Amongst all the Meadow Browns I managed to spot a couple of Ringlets, my first this year, but only managed a couple of record shots of one of them as he settled down in the grass.
Ringlet - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Ringlet - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
A couple of dozen Small Heaths were flying in the usual spots. Some of these were looking old and faded now but some of them were looking to be in better condition and with this species overlapping broods, I am not sure if these were late first brood or early second.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Small Heath - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Large Skippers were more in evidence now, especially the males chasing everything about, including each other. I also saw the first females today but couldn't get a photo as they were constantly harassed by the males.
Large Skipper - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Large Skipper - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
My first Small Skipper of the year was also mixed up with these, just the one of these seen today and my earliest sighting by a week.
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Small Skipper - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
I was surprised to find a faded Brown Argus still hanging on along with a couple of Common Blues, one of which wasn't looking too bad still, although again, I am not sure whether he was late first brood or early second. Flight times this year seem to be all over the place.
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Common Blue - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Common Blue - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
I also spotted the Comma below which I assumed by his condition was a hibernator still hanging on in there. It is not that unusual for me to find hibernators occasionally still flying into June around here but given the exceptionally warm spring that we had, he must have been on the go a fair bit and I thought he looked remarkably good still considering.
Comma - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
The next Comma I spotted was obviously a new summer one and a lovely female hutchinsoni at that. Some years I see very few of the hutchinsoni form around here compared to normal flavour summer Commas, lets see what this year brings.
Small Tortoiseshells again popped up regularly with a couple of dozen seen all around the site. I watched a couple of instances of courtship type chasing behaviour although as usual they disappeared off in to the distance before reaching any conclusion.
Small Tortoiseshells - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
Small Tortoiseshells - Castle Hills 14.06.2020
I also saw a couple of Marbled Whites which I couldn't get close to. I reckon a return visit here in a week or so should see more of these on the wing.

All in all, nothing really out of the ordinary but a nice couple of hours with some of our common species...and the thundery showers never appeared :D .

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a lovely set of shots Neil :D That Ringlett looks like it's taking off not landing :lol: still to find a Small Heath, lets hope the weather returns to normal, it's ready for another rain shower here :roll: Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

You're in advance of us down here Neil, no Ringlets or Small Skippers
at Chiddingfold on Tuesday, and I had plenty of time to look for them.
I agree with Wurzel about the Red Admiral and Comma, great stuff!.

Keep well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely sequence Neil - I'm pretty 'jelly' (as the yoof say) of the Ringlet - I've still not knowingly seen one this year and that one looks lovely and shiny :shock: :mrgreen: ! I was listening to Radio 4 on the way home yesterday and they seemed to think that there are some local problems with Broadband because of the number of people working from home, pupils working from home/gaming all day :roll: so hopefully things will sort themselves out for your connection?

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That certainly does look like a spring Comma, Neil. Haven't seen one myself for weeks now. I wonder what would happen if it bumped into a summer hutchinsoni?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks all for the comments, much appreciated :D

It seems that I have an intermittent fault on my router that gets worse the longer I am connected so it is touch and go as to how long before it kicks me off.
I've got the report below already written in word so lets see if I can stay on long enough to copy and paste and add the photos then post it.

Monday 15th June – Oversley Wood.

With the coming week looking to be unsettled with potential thunderstorms from Tuesday onwards, we decided to make the most of a promising day on Monday and have a drive down to Oversley Wood.
We arrived just turned 10.00am to find a surprisingly full car park for a weekday and just managed to park in one of the last remaining gaps. As we got out of the car we saw a fellow Warwickshire BC member who lives locally to the wood and who told us that he had also come here on Saturday when it was absolutely rammed, mostly with dog walkers and cyclists but also families in general out for a walk. It seems that quite a few popular spots have become even more popular recently, maybe down to more people being off work one way or another, or not being able to go abroad yet, and all of these finding places to go to for a day out at home.

Anyway, we carried on up the main track and followed the circular route around the wood, occasionally meeting up with the Warks BC member again plus a couple of other fellow enthusiasts at various spots and had some nice socially distanced conversations. We had all seen Matthew Oates report of the first Purple Emperor at Knepp at the weekend but we all agreed that it was a bit early for them to be flying here yet, maybe by next weekend.

The first butterflies seen were Meadow Browns with loads of them bobbing about at the sides of the ride. A couple of Ringlets were also seen but I reckon it needs another week or so for their numbers to reach the hordes that normally fly here.

One of the first track side clearings that we came to produced half a dozen Marbled Whites and a couple of Small Tortoiseshells.
Small Tortoisesehell - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Small Tortoisesehell - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Marbled White - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
I was aware that both White Admiral and Silver-washed Fritillary had been reported around the midlands over the weekend and these were my main reason for coming here today. As we wandered along we saw our first White Admiral as it flitted and glided gracefully between the trees to the side of the track for a hundred yards or so before disappearing deeper into the wood.
A little further along we checked out a large bank of brambles and spotted a couple of White Admirals on the flowers. As this species so often does, they seemed to spend more time in the shadows within the brambles, a practice which leads to them quite quickly picking up nicks and tears in the wings. These ones looked to be nice and new although getting a clear shot was a challenge as they flitted in and out of the shadows in their usual uncooperative way.
White Admiral - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
As we carried on around the circuit, we saw half a dozen more White Admirals, usually high up and quite mobile in what was turning into a warm and muggy day. At one stage we had one flying low along the track in front of us and occasionally touching down in search of moisture but the ground here was extremely dry despite the heavy rain we had recently. Occasionally this individual would divert onto some brambles, which slowed him down a bit so I could get some photos, although again they were often in partial shade.
As mentioned above we were also on the lookout for Silver-washed Fritillaries and had a couple of high speed flypasts but only saw the one male actually settle briefly for a refuel and then he kept his wings shut.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
I reckon that it was still a bit early for these here too and another week should see numbers build. Having said that, at one point one of the other enthusiasts called us over to where he had spotted a pair in cop up in a tree. They were out of reach for a decent photo with my 70-300mm lens so the shot below is cropped quite a bit.
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Silver-washed Fritillary pair - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Other butterflies seen were a few Large Skipper, a couple of Speckled Wood, lots of Small Whites plus a few Green-veined Whites and a tatty old male Brimstone. Also a few Commas of both hutchinsoni and normal summer forms.
Small White - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Small White - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Comma - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Comma - Oversley Wood 15.06.2020
Snitterfield Bushes.

After a good couple of hours at Oversley we decided to make a move and head back past Stratford-upon-Avon so that we could call in to Snitterfield Bushes for a look.
By now it was very warm with the temperature in the mid twenties and although there was some cloud about, it was only making it feel muggy and humid.

After having a good walk around Oversley earlier, Jane said she would have a rest in the car and read her book while I went to see if there was anything about.

It was fairly quiet here compared with Oversley with fewer butterflies seen although Meadow Browns were numerous enough along the sides of the rides. One particular female was a nice individual with the extra orange markings that I have been seeing more regularly in recent years.
Meadow Brown - Snitterfield Bushes
Meadow Brown - Snitterfield Bushes
I didn't see any Ringlets here, nor White Admirals or Silver-washed Fritillaries either, although there were a few Small Tortoiseshells and Commas, again in both normal and hutchinsoni flavours, plus at least three Red Admirals. A few Whites were also seen, at least one of which was a Large White, one species that I have not seen many of so far this year.
Red Admiral - Snitterfield Bushes
Red Admiral - Snitterfield Bushes
Comma hutchinsoni - Snitterfield Bushes
Comma hutchinsoni - Snitterfield Bushes
I reckon another week should see the SWFs flying here and hopefully White Admirals, although the latter are not numerous here these days with only one or two seen in my visits in the past couple of years.

A couple of Marbled Whites were flying in the meadow by the gliding club but again another week should see more of these here. After all it is still early for all of these summer butterflies which I would usually see later in June or in July.

After just over half an hour here we made a move for home thinking that we will probably come back in a week or so.

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

That last hutchinsoni is beautifully marked, Neil. A real stunner.

Well done too with the White Admirals, a butterfly definitely best seen fresh.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic set of shots Neil :D Pretty envious of the White Admirals - they're just not playing ball for me this year :mrgreen: Those H.Comms a re really well marked but the second one looks very interesting - well marked near the centre and then rapidly fading 8) :mrgreen:

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”