Dark eyes, on a Dark Green Fritillary. Anyone else seen this?

Discussion forum for sightings.
Testudo Man

Dark eyes, on a Dark Green Fritillary. Anyone else seen this?

Post by Testudo Man »

Just wondering if anyone else has seen these dark eyes on a Dark Green Fritillary.
This is a male, and it is showing dark eyes, something I have not seen before!
Both eyes were the same. Took this image yesterday early evening, location - Kent.
Thanks in advance, cheers Paul. Image has been cropped some (just the top!).

Panasonic G80/12-60mm lens/Canon 250D close up filter attached.
f/6.3, 1/320, ISO 400, 40mm. AF, Handheld, Jpeg. Shot at 7.32pm.
P1150171-copy-to-600.jpg
millerd

Re: Dark eyes, on a Dark Green Fritillary. Anyone else seen this?

Post by millerd »

Hi Paul!

By way of comparison, here's one I saw at Box Hill recently in lowish light conditions in a similar pose.
DGF9 090620.JPG
The next two close-ups show the eyes quite well
DGF7 090620.JPG
DGF5 090620.JPG
Yours does appear to have slightly darker eyes - what do you think?

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

At minimal first glance that looks unusual, TM. I will take a look at some of my DGF images to see if there are any that are marked similarly.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

millerd wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:28 pm Hi Paul!

By way of comparison, here's one I saw at Box Hill recently in lowish light conditions in a similar pose.DGF9 090620.JPGThe next two close-ups show the eyes quite wellDGF7 090620.JPGDGF5 090620.JPGYours does appear to have slightly darker eyes - what do you think?

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks for the comparison Dave, your good images have helped, cheers.
I think in lowish light, their eyes can look duller for sure. Even though I took this image at 7.32pm, I was on top of a hill, an the sun was out, the light was quite good at that time, an there was no shadow cast over my subject. Having now looked at a few other images of these, their eyes can look a shade darker...I just think my individual shows eyes that are a little darker than the norm.
Ive cropped my image again, to get further in on the eye.
P1150171-copy-crop-to-800.jpg

For another comparison, heres an image of a different male DGF, I took this image in the same area, same camera etc. except it was an hour later, when the sun was almost gone, so the light was nowhere near as good.

Shot this at 8.27pm. Male DGF. Image is not cropped.
P1150505-copy-to-800.jpg
Last edited by Testudo Man on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:34 pm At minimal first glance that looks unusual, TM. I will take a look at some of my DGF images to see if there are any that are marked similarly.
Cheers David, having now looked at a fair few images of these, they can show different levels of eye colouration, most notably late afternoon/early evening times. I just think my specimen shows a slightly darker eye than normal. I would have liked to have found him earlier on in the day, when the light was at its optimum, an grabbed a few shots then. :wink:
Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

My DGF images show the eyes to be mainly olive green in colour with varying numbers of dark spots. Certainly nothing like the large dark spot your first specimen possesses.

I wonder whether these change in size according to light conditions?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I suspect that the appearance of the eyes is very variable, depending on lighting conditions. I had a look through my records and found lots of variation. The following two shots were taken on the same day at Old Castle Down near Bridgend. They may even be the same individual but, after the time lapse, I cannot be sure.
Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 4th July 2015
Old Castle Down, Bridgend - 4th July 2015
Mike
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:27 am My DGF images show the eyes to be mainly olive green in colour with varying numbers of dark spots. Certainly nothing like the large dark spot your first specimen possesses.

I wonder whether these change in size according to light conditions?
No idea on that one David? thanks for you input, cheers Paul.
MikeOxon wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:47 am I suspect that the appearance of the eyes is very variable, depending on lighting conditions. I had a look through my records and found lots of variation. The following two shots were taken on the same day at Old Castle Down near Bridgend. They may even be the same individual but, after the time lapse, I cannot be sure.
DkGnFrit_eyes.jpg
Mike
Thanks for your opinion/images Mike.
Cheers Paul.

Return to “Sightings”