Encouraging Violets in Grassland

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
IacobnDG

Encouraging Violets in Grassland

Post by IacobnDG »

I'm managing a small meadow with some Violets (I believe V. riviniana) growing along the hedgerow on one side. (Picture below from when they were doing better)
20180421_152252.jpg
Recently they have become a bit swamped by grass and I'm planning to cut a fair bit of this around where they're growing but what is the best way to encourage them to grow out into the open? Is it possible this species cannot tolerate the full sun further out from the hedgerow and if so which species would be best to introduce? There is a small Dark Green Fritillary population within 2km of the meadow and it is a long term plan of mine to create the right conditions for them to colonise the meadow, and really the main gap to bridge is now the lack of Violets.
- Jake
NickMorgan

Re: Encouraging Violets in Grassland

Post by NickMorgan »

I am afraid I don't know the answer, but I notice that Violets appear to do best here in lightly wooded areas and particularly in areas that have been recently cleared. I get the impression that it is a lack of competition rather than shade that they require, as some of them are growing on quite sunny slopes.
I am experimenting with different cutting regimes in different areas, but I am learning that there are so many variables, mostly weather related! I have decided that it is best to aim for a variety of different habitats and then stick with the more successful options. My biggest issue is too many nutrients, but that is good for nettles and thistles, so great for some species of butterflies. I am therefore concentrating on smaller patches, which I hope to expand.
IacobnDG

Post by IacobnDG »

NickMorgan wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:45 pmI get the impression that it is a lack of competition rather than shade that they require, as some of them are growing on quite sunny slopes.
I think you're right on this, as the only thing that has changed is the length of the grass. I've recently gotten out my grandad's old scythe, so I'm going to scythe around where they are and hope for the best. I collected some seeds from a population growing on sand dunes and I'll see if I can grow these too as I think they would do well where the rabbits have eaten all the grass.
- Jake
IacobnDG

Post by IacobnDG »

an update: I scythed along where there used to be lots of violets and found many small plants under the thick grass. Continuing with this management I think they should quickly recover and in fact I found one rosette quite far out from the hedge so I am hopeful they will spread far and wide!
20200708_182956[1].jpg
20200708_153629_compress7[1].jpg
- Jake
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Thank you for considering a high grass cut. A high grass cut might be useful in helping prevent taller flowering "weeds" (plants subjectively, in the wrong place) going to seed.
A lawn can be mowed or trimmed above 60 or 75mm from the ground, to help violets compete for light/space and not be "devastated" by cutting blades, that helped other lawn grasses out-compete them.
Viola riviniana is important for at least five of our native Fritillary species, found growing in shade or north facing locations (direct sunlight behind taller vegetation).
Viola odorata is also United Kingdom native species, flowers earlier in the spring. Plants I thought I identified as Sweet violets, might be found, in sunnier locations (on south facing banks).
A "shallow thought for gardeners"
Violets might be noticed in the Spring as plants to save while flowering, but then be forgotten about, not identified as precious, or not noticed or cared about, while still in leaf the rest of the year.
Kind Regards,

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”