N Greece 'virtually' day 5

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
sifenn

N Greece 'virtually' day 5

Post by sifenn »

I started out Tuesday, Day 5 of my N Greece 2019 trip, in the area at the N East of the lake where a girder bridge crosses the Struma river . I knew it was a long-shot, but I planned to check around the white willow (salix alba) on either bank where Freyer’s Purple Emperor had previously been seen. I searched around for an hour or so, but didn’t see anything likely, though I did see Spotted Woodpeckers, Hoopoes and Bee Eaters, and a Spotted Fritillary.

I then set off to head back to the area above Ano Poroia (my day 2 destination), but the skies darkened and there was an almighty downpour with a thunderstorm for an hour, so I headed East as there was brightness in that direction. As the sun came out, I turned up into the hills above Vyroneia until the road petered out, parked and headed up a likely looking track. The hillside was covered in dry, scrubby vegetation, and post downpour it was incredibly humid. Plenty on the wing, but not much settling, and mostly things for which I had already plenty of pictures. An Eastern Baton Blue alighted briefly, and then a Small Copper with much darker markings (3rd brood ?).

I came across mating Clouded Yellows that had chosen a fairly prickly environment to procreate.

The track fizzled out after 30 minutes, so I took in the view back across the NE of the lake and retraced to a fork and tried the other path.

Still scrubby vegetation, skittering lizards

and blazing hot for another 30 minutes before signs of deciduous trees with the possibility of some shade and species variation. Lots of brambles and bracken by track covered in Marbled Frits, Ilex Hairstreaks, Clouded Yellows, Whites, and then a flash of something different, a Langs Short-tailed Blue, that hung around just long enough to capture a few images, another first for me; love those underwing spots.

Came across this marvellous insect shortly after (ID anyone ?)

and then a Balkan Marbled White gave me the opportunity for under and overwing shots.

Once more the path gave out having gone nowhere in particular, so I retraced my steps, and was mobbed by a Grayling (Southern ?) that systematically searched me all over for anything tasty.

I returned to the car and drove back via the Struma bridge; the outside temperature was now hovering around 40C, and a brief excursion to try to photograph Bee Eaters was excruciating plus they just flew away. But the banks of the river were criss-crossed with driveable tracks, so I edged off the road, and managed to used the car as an air-conditioned hide and come close enough for a passable shot of a Bee Eater – they were noticeably gasping in the heat too !

Not quite up to the high standards of previous days, but a couple of new species and plenty to see. The day finished with a massive and spectacular thunderstorm and torrential downpour that I watched roll across the valley from the west.
David M

Re: N Greece 'virtually' day 5

Post by David M »

That Bee-eater is divine, sifenn, as well as that incredibly dusky Small Copper.

What a wonderful part of Europe that is for wildlife. I must get round to visiting it in the not too distant future.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Hi Simon, your mystery insect is Nemoptera sinuata which is known by different common names. One is the Spoonwing Lacewing and the other is the Thread-winged Antlion. It's a real beauty.

Vince
Medard

Post by Medard »

Hi Simon, Seeing your photo of a European bee Eater brought back memories of my experience with this colourful bird.

I was lucky to meet a friendly French birder whilst visiting the Nature Reserve of Vigueirat near Arles,  I asked him if he was aware of a site where I might see Bee eaters , he generously described a location in a disused Sand quarry north of Saint-Martin-de-Crau, it was conveniently close to our campsite and was relatively easy to find, the birds were nesting in a large colony, they are fascinating to watch, they have a strange habit of a loitering flight then suddenly for no apparent reason hit the after burner and race off at high speed leaving the sky empty, returning after a half hour or so, I found them rather nervous and not easy to approach, despite the heat I could have spent hours watching these flying gems.

Also on the same site location
Swallowtail (Papilio machaon)
Spanish Gatekeeper (Pyronia bathseba) A very tricky customer , very camera shy it takes cover under bushes when approached too closely.
Western Marbled White (Melanargia occitanica) A very attractive butterfly ,the underside markings immediately draw the eye , the bold transverse lines and the hint of forget- me- not blue in the tiny eye spots, puts occitanica high on my list of favourite butterflies.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Attachments
Bee-eater (Merops apiaster)
Western Marbled White (Melanargia occitanica)
Western Marbled White (Melanargia occitanica)
Spanish Gatekeeper (Pyronia bathseba)
Spanish Gatekeeper (Pyronia bathseba)

Return to “Overseas”