virtually N Greece

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
sifenn

virtually N Greece

Post by sifenn »

Looking at my Easyjet cancellation for flight to Bilbao next week to visit Picos de Europa, I was reflecting that a year ago today I had flown to Thessaloniki in N Greece and driven up to Lake Kerkinitis near the border with Bulgaria, inspired by a trip that Pete Eeles and others had taken some years earlier. I hope you'll bear with me for some cathartic revisiting of memories.
The journey up to Lithotopos, at the south end of the lake, was memorable for the heat (35C), and the clouds of Painted Ladies sweeping across the highway. Checked in to the Kerkinitis Guesthouse in late afternoon, and went for a brief stroll through vineyard paths down to the lakeside, seeing Holly and Common Blues (possibly Eastern Zephyrs too), Clouded Yellows, more Painted Ladies and a number of tortoises.
P1180401 tort comp.jpg
Then a couple of small movements attracted my attention; firstly what I suppose is an Orbed Red Underwing Skipper, followed by a new species to me, a Little Tiger Blue, which whizzed around for a minute until it finally came to rest, with beautiful lunules sparkling in the sun.
P1180338 orb red uwing skip comp.jpg
P1180343 - tiger blue comp.jpg
An Eastern Bath White posed for a moment, and then I crossed the road onto a grassy bank by the lakeside where amongst others I found a Spotted Fritillary, and another first for me, a slightly tatty Fiery Copper.
P1180345 e bath white comp.jpg
P1180365 spot frit comp.jpg
P1180404 fiery copper comp.jpg
A brief wander in the village led me to a taverna with a balcony overlooking the lake, a cool breeze, a cool beer, grilled lamb chops and a Greek salad :D .
P1180409 view comp.jpg
Returning a different route to guesthouse took me past the village stork nest
P1180411 stork comp.jpg
What treats did the next few days have in store... ?
David M

Re: virtually N Greece

Post by David M »

Thanks for brightening up my day with these continentl species, sifenn. Look forward to seeing more.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hi Sifen
Great to see those photos. I was in exactly the same area from the 8th to 15th June last year, on the Greenwings holiday. It will be interesting to see if you saw anything in addition to us.
Best Wishes
Paul

PS - The Fiery Copper is actually a Lesser Fiery Copper.
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

thanks guys for your feedback, and welcome corrections to my tentative IDs; plenty more tentatives coming. Paul, I'd planned the trip and booked flights when I realised about the Greenwings tour - I imagine many eyes and experts made for a great trip
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

sifenn wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:05 pm thanks guys for your feedback, and welcome corrections to my tentative IDs; plenty more tentatives coming. Paul, I'd planned the trip and booked flights when I realised about the Greenwings tour - I imagine many eyes and experts made for a great trip
Absolutely, the week was fantastic, with great guides. We saw 95 butterfly species in total.

Return to “Overseas”