What we've seen recently

Discussion forum for sightings.
Bert Impetigo

What we've seen recently

Post by Bert Impetigo »

Seen these recently, in Perthshire.All never seen by me before! An Elephand Hawk Moth, a Green Tiger Beetle (I know it's not a butterfly or a moth, but it's pretty!), a Spotted wood (I think?), a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary (is it?), and lots of Small Heath butterfiles. They are hard to get a photo of! Also one butterfly I couldn't begin to identify (posted in the identification area.) We've also seen tadpoles, a newt, lots of small furry creatures, and an Osprey. Lockdown has brought unexpected rewards. :D
1EHM.PNG
1SW.PNG
1SPBF.PNG
1SH.PNG
Attachments
1GTM.PNG
David M

Re: What we've seen recently

Post by David M »

Some nice sightings there, Bert. Particularly envious of the osprey.

Yes, Speckled Wood and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, the latter being a particularly nice find, along with the elephant hawk moth.

Don't worry about the Small Heaths, they are tricky for the rest of us to photograph as well! :)
Bert Impetigo

Re: What we've seen recently

Post by Bert Impetigo »

Thanks David, we're lucky enough to live on the side of a loch where the Osprey is a daily sight in Summer. First time we'd seen one in the fields though! Our other sighting has kindly been identified in the Identification forum, and turns out to be a Yellow Speckled Moth, albeit white, not yellow. That's explained by the Wikipedia entry for it which says "ab. albicans Ob. has the ground-colour whitish."
BF1.PNG
bf2.PNG
BF3.PNG

Return to “Sightings”