essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: essex buzzard

Post by David M »

Wonderful stuff, Mark. :) This species is simply gorgeous when fresh (the horseshoe vetch is eye-catching too).

With the weather set fair for the next week at least, it could be a very productive early summer.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everyone. They positively glow, don’t they?

Next up, east Kent. My main reason for visiting is to see the wonderful variety of late-spring orchids here. But if I could get a few butterflies in as well, so much the better!

First up, Denge Wood, south of Canterbury. This is a great site for Lady Orchids, with the added bonus of Duke of Burgundy too! I also found my first ever fly orchids at this site.
EC788970-763E-4B3D-AE3D-9FCC25783827.jpeg
08D994C7-264D-4B6B-A45B-224EABB572DE.jpeg
1A5B0EC6-73B7-43B9-84CE-9B0CF2DC4823.jpeg
I couldn’t resist dropping into Lydden Hill, to see this Adonis Blues there. Good numbers seen. Plenty of horseshoe vetch here, too.
7DBB8BE3-9D7A-4B88-BE75-46A5849483E7.jpeg
Western Heights is just 10 minutes away, so it would have been rude not to pop in, and see the Small Blues there. In such hot weather, there’s no way they were going to open their wings, though!
D0C89706-551C-491C-BA8E-3BDF9162E3BF.jpeg
It was now early afternoon. Part two to follow.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looking forward to part two Essex - that is a fantastic Small Blue shot :D 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Then onto a site for late-spider orchids. I won’t broadcast exactly where the site is, for the orchids are very rare, and found only in east Kent. They are also a target for vandals! It would be touch and go if they were out anyway, but this is a very early season. I was lucky, for I found this very first few in flower, with several more in bud.
3ECBC4F4-06AC-4E76-98E3-994AB79C1444.jpeg
Nearby, the first man orchids were flowering. Although unspectacular, a close inspection of these brilliant orchids reveals how they got their name.
B772D4C4-CC07-4384-A5D0-A5ABC18929D6.jpeg
Finally, to finish off the day, I headed to Park Gate Down. The monkey orchids is found at only three known sites. At two of these, it is scarce and declining, but here it is doing very well. Numbers of flowering monkeys varies each year, though, in fact they tend to do better in wet springs. But the overall number of plants is more stable.
F4D931CD-C091-4B5D-A999-5CCBB9FC5FED.jpeg
Thanks Wurzel, part two coming right up!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Orchids Essex :D 8) That Spider Orchid reminds me of a chubby, jovial Spiderman 8) :lol:

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Well, I hope we all enjoy the sunniest spring on record. It certainly helped that most of the lock-down period was blessed with warm, sunny weather. A total, for England,of nearly 700 hours of bright sunshine this Spring, would put most summers to shame!

We now arrive at the June gap. Fortunately, in Essex, we have a perfect gap filler. Heath Fritillaries. At HW, they started emerging last week, and are now attracting plenty of interest. One chap had come all the way down from Derbyshire. Admittedly, these Fritillaries probably appeal more to the anoraks among us than the general visitor. I have also found it to be common in most places in Europe that I have visited. But seeing them on home soil is a little bit special.

It’s hard to imagine anything more natural than a butterfly. But in fact,this fussy species depends entirely on man-made habitat. Without human intervention, Heath Fritillaries would be extinct within five years. Fortunately, more habitat maintenance has been done, and I’m confident of it’s future here.
Attachments
482E2615-6105-42A4-8260-08666F784719.jpeg
51807C6A-44BA-400A-85A1-DD365C995CC4.jpeg
B63B03D0-BC81-4B98-BFC8-F05B043D4D69.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely to see them over there in Essex again, Mark. :) I always find it fascinating that they are a commonplace landscape butterfly in Europe, but have to be meticulously managed in the UK. They do at least seem to make an effort to do so in that piece of woodland.

They get earlier and earlier too - I think the first time I saw them around ten years ago was in July!

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great to see your Heath shots essex, I'll miss them again this year, their a lovely little Butterfly, when I'm in Kent I make a bee line for East Blean Woods just in case some are still a round. :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant shots Essex - a lovely gap filler indeed :D I've only ever seen them abroad once (in S.France) but to my mind they seemed lighter, much more orange with dark markings rather than ours which seem dark with orange markings (if that makes sense) - fingers crossed they 'split' them for an armchair 'tick' :wink: :lol:

Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

That Adonis Blue photo is an absolute work of art EB. I would have that photo converted in to a canvass and have it on the wall of my house if I had taken that. Excellent.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks everybody.

Earlier this week, good numbers of Small Tortoiseshell males had emerged on the footpaths near Ongar. The days are now as long as they ever get in the northern hemisphere, and it was still very warm then. This means the adults didn’t open their wings until 7.30 PM. Small Tortoiseshells are very common where I live, but never again will I take them for granted. Most were on the path itself, but this one was on the hedge.
39B18CCA-04FE-4600-A3B6-48CE62BB8B44.jpeg
This one was richly marked.
C65BDA08-FF20-4883-B480-B16212FCD6C9.jpeg
Here is a more typical male.
42199469-AD98-4488-B36E-51872324A9CE.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice Heath Fritillaries Mark :mrgreen: :D I had planned a stop off at Greenscombe Woods on our way back from our Cornwall trip which got cancelled. Probably re-arranging this one for the same time next year now.

Good to see Small Tortoiseshells doing well down your way too. They are having a good year around here as well with lots of reports of fresh summer brood from around the midlands.

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks Neil, we also had a trip planned at around the same time, which obviously got cancelled too. So no Marsh of Small PB Fritillaries for me this year either. But I’m grateful to have seen Heath Fritillaries here.
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:55 pm...Earlier this week, good numbers of Small Tortoiseshell males had emerged on the footpaths near Ongar...
Same round my way, Mark. There have been heaps of Small Tortoiseshells lately. Looks like it could be the best summer for a few years for them.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens when the weather improves, and we get a few bright evenings. Round here, last year was very good for them too.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:46 pm Thanks Neil, we also had a trip planned at around the same time, which obviously got cancelled too. So no Marsh of Small PB Fritillaries for me this year either. But I’m grateful to have seen Heath Fritillaries here.
I've one more possible iron in the fire for Small Pearls, a family holiday in Cornwall in the first week of August which has still not been cancelled. The latest info I have is they are looking to open the site again after July 5th so my fingers are crossed.

Cheers,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Good luck with that,Neil we were going down there in August too, for exactly that reason. But it might be heaving down there by then, which has put us off, and we haven’t booked anything. So it will be good to see how you get on.

My time there is greatly missed this year.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You seem to be having more luck with the WLH than me Mark. Lovely image - looking forward to seeing it in here :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Were you in Hadleigh CP on 16th, Mark? If you were I missed you somehow as I spent about three hours down there scrutinising bramble bushes all along the path at the bottom - with some success as it happens! The WLH are only just starting I'd say. Pound Wood was good for Heath Frits afterwards too.

Shame to have missed you.

Cheers,

Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks, Pauline. Pictures, hopefully tomorrow night, on here as requested!

Hi Dave, I was there on Monday, the 15 th. That’s why I missed you!

I did meet several other people there, but no-one I recognised. Was happy to show a couple of gentlemen the best spots.

Return to “Personal Diaries”