millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

Wednesday 3rd June. What a difference a day makes, and don't you hate it when the weathermen get things right? :) 17 degrees was the high today, and no sunshine at all was recorded at Heathrow for the first time since 3rd May. Nevertheless, there was enough warmth coming through the cloud for a few things to be flying on my local patch - though only a handful of species were seen.

Meadow Browns are not shy of dull weather, but they were still difficult to get close to.
MB1 030620.JPG
Small Heaths also put in an appearance...
SH1 030620.JPG
SH2 030620.JPG
...as well as one Common Blue...
CB1 030620.JPG
...and one Brown Argus.
BA1 030620.JPG
More surprisingly, a fresh new brood Small Tortoiseshell was attempting to warm up on the leaf litter. It was slightly unusual in that the blue marginal spots on the forewings were almost non-existent.
ST1 030620.JPG
With a lack of adult butterflies I searched out caterpillars, finding an Orange Tip (no longer very camouflaged as the Garlic Mustard starts to dry out)...
OT cat 030620.JPG
...and a whole new nest of Peacocks.
Peacock cats 030620.JPG
There's always something to see, whatever the conditions. :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the White Admiral, Dave. That's a very good sign indeed!.

Stay well
Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wow Dave! it looks like the Butterflies are really emerging now, great shots :D :mrgreen: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant find that really early Wood White Dave :D :mrgreen: Hopefully pick them up myself this weekend :wink:
I could be wrong but I reckon the second dragonfly is a female Black-tailed Skimmer and the first is a female Emperor but I reckon it could be the less usual blue form :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, all, and particularly Wurzel for the dragonfly IDs. I see a lot of different types around here, given the proximity to the River Colne. In fact another one features in this next post, but in a different role... :)

Thursday 4th June. The weather continued to be nothing special, cool and largely cloudy. However, as long as the cloud isn't too thick the sun's warmth gets through at this time of year (especially in the middle of the day), and can be enough to allow the butterflies to fly. In fact I saw around fifty on my local patch today - mostly Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, but a respectable ten species altogether, including one new one for the year and the welcome appearance of a summer variation. Orange and brown was the order of the day, except for a few Common Blues.

The 2020 first sighting was of a Small Skipper.
SS3 040620.JPG
SS4 040620.JPG
There were a few Large Skippers too, including this nice new female, the first I've seen this year here.
LS1 040620.JPG
LS3a 040620.JPG
The other newcomer was the summer form of the Comma (f. hutchinsoni).
Comma(h)1 040620.JPG
Comma(h)3 040620.JPG
In fact, I saw three of these beautifully marked insects in different spots.

The new brood of Small Tortoiseshells are also emerging, with a couple seen today.
ST1 040620.JPG
ST2 040620.JPG
Considering the numbers around, I decided to have a look at one or two Small Heaths. There appear to be new-looking individuals amongst these as well - which is true throughout the season. Their broods seem to overlap and merge.
SH1 040620.JPG
SH4 040620.JPG
I also managed a shot of the only Speckled Wood seen today.
SpW1 040620.JPG
Today's example of interesting behaviour came when I disturbed a rather worn blue butterfly from the grass and it took to the air in distinctly feeble flight. Seizing the opportunity, a nearby dragonfly dived in and grabbed the unfortunate butterfly and settled on the ground to consume it. However, it wouldn't allow me to approach particularly close, so this is the only shot I could achieve.
Dragon+CB 040620.JPG
Looking at the photo, it is possible the butterfly was actually a female Holly Blue (rather than a male Common Blue as I had first assumed) as it was caught close to one of the areas of goats' rue where the Hollies have been laying.

Even on a relatively dull cool day, there is always something worth seeing. :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Dave - glad you got a confirmed Small Skipper :D 8) Those Small Heaths are in very fine fettle :D Fascinating to see the Dragonfly (Black-tailed Skimmer) almost guarding its prey; like a Lion on the Serengeti :D

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel. There are a lot of fresh Small Heaths at the moment - and ta for another dragonfly ID. They can be pretty fearsome creatures, especially if you happen to be a small butterfly. :)

Friday and Saturday 5th/6th June continued the cool and mostly cloudy theme. I didn't venture beyond my local patch, and didn't see very much of note either day.
a bright female
a bright female
an unusual view of the underside
an unusual view of the underside
another new Comma
another new Comma
the underside
the underside
still quite fresh
still quite fresh
this looks like a new one
this looks like a new one
there are still one or two Brown Argus around
there are still one or two Brown Argus around
I always like this view of a Large Skipper
I always like this view of a Large Skipper
I see these every day at the moment
I see these every day at the moment
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The forecast for Sunday 7th June was rather better. As a consequence, arrangements were made to head for Ditchling Common in Sussex and to meet up with various like-minded folk to hopefully see Black Hairstreaks.

The sun appeared on cue, as did Trevor, Wurzel and Philzoid. However, the Hairstreaks were rather more reluctant, and for a while there was especial frustration for Wurzel for whom they would be a lifer. Eventually, some were seen, and Wurzel managed to squeeze in some decent shots. I didn't fare so well, glimpsing them mostly high in the trees...
BlH4 080620.JPG
BlH5 080620.JPG
BlH1 080620.JPG
...and I was completely the wrong side of the only one I was close to lower down.
BlH2 080620.JPG
Phil also discovered the remains of one that had been predated - interesting, but not quite the kind of shot I would like to have had. :)
BlH3 080620.JPG
Never mind - it was another very sociable kind of day, even if the butterflies didn't behave as we would have liked. Also seen (far more amenably!)...
GH1 080620.JPG
SpW1 080620.JPG
Comma(h)1 080620.JPG
.. several Meadow Browns and a couple of glimpses of a Silver-washed Fritillary.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Soon after leaving Ditchling on the return journey I drove through heavy rain, which put paid to any ideas of stopping anywhere interesting en route. Nor could I even have a quick walk out locally.

Monday 8th June was cooler and mostly cloudy again, but at least a local walk was possible today.

Meadow Browns were now becoming abundant, with 41 seen today, nearly all of them males still. But not quite all - and one of the few females I found did me the honour of opening up in a moment of weak sunshine.
MB1 080620.JPG
Small Heaths were also frequent (23 seen)...
SH1 080620.JPG
...and surprisingsly there was a surge in the number of Common Blues, including some quite fresh males.
CB2 080620.JPG
CB5 080620.JPG
CB7 080620.JPG
CB8 080620.JPG
There were both Large...
LS1 080620.JPG
...and Small Skippers, including a very dark-looking female .
SS2 080620.JPG
SS5 080620.JPG
There was even a Holly Blue, this time apparently laying on bramble for a change.
HB1 080620.JPG
Small Tortoiseshells are definitely doing well, with these two amongst the nine seen today.
ST1 080620.JPG
ST2 080620.JPG
There were also new Commas, a fresh Red Admiral - which was a standout example of ab. fructa (broken red forewing band)...
RA1 080620.JPG
...a very worn Painted Lady.
PL1 080620.JPG
...and even a Small White - there haven't been many white butterflies lately.
SW1 080620.JPG
Nearly a hundred butterflies seen today - not bad for a day lacking much proper sunshine.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Tuesday 9th June was a warmer day, with more sunshine. I started the day locally again, and quickly counted over 130 butterflies of 13 different species:

Small Heath 39
Meadow Brown 36
Common Blue 25
Small Tortoiseshell 7
Brown Argus 6
Small White 4
Small Skipper 3
Comma 3
Red Admiral 3
Large Skipper 3
Holly Blue 2
Small Copper 2
Green-veined White 1

One Red Admiral was a very new one, and another example of ab. fructa.
RA1 090620.JPG
RA2 090620.JPG
The GVW was a new brood too, more subtly marked than the early spring ones.
GVW1 090620.JPG
Some more bright Small Tortoiseshells...
ST1 090620.JPG
ST2 090620.JPG
...and a new male Small Skipper.
SS2 090620.JPG
Of the two Small Coppers, one was not new, though still quite bright...
SC2 090620.JPG
...but the other was the remarkable individual I first saw on 2nd May.
SC1 090620.JPG
I have a near-continuous record of photos of this individual from his usual haunt during the (at least) 39 days of his life - how long do they last? Bearing in mind this particular butterfly lived through the 300+ hours of May sunshine, plus the 40 hours of sun since, he won't have led a very sheltered life. Quite extraordinary - I expect though from his current state I may not get to see him again.

Lastly of note was that other old favourite - the Holly Blue laying on goats' rue. There can't be many more first brood females doing this during this year now... :)
HB1 090620.JPG
HB2 090620.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

You made the most of the few photo opps on offer last Sunday.
That was a very enjoyable meet up. This is usually a very solo game.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As usual a cracking set of shots Dave :D The Blackstreaks did live up to their reputation as one of the most awkward butterflies and there was one individual that didn't really have a clue about Social Distancing but all in all it was still a great day (having gotten a lifer of course I'm bound to say that :wink: :lol: ). Thanks for the reminder as well - I've been trying to recall the name of the aberrant Red Admiral and was adamant to remember it and not just google it :lol: Hopefully see you soon :wink:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, both - it was a most enjoyable day, regardless of the Black Hairstreak (non) performance! :)

Later in the day on 9th June, bearing in mind the partly sunny and relatively still conditions, I went down to Box Hill to look for Dark Green Fritillaries and their usual companions there, the Marbled Whites. I met with success, though the latter species were only out in very small numbers as yet. The DGF were better - a probably saw six or seven individuals altogether. Aside from these two species, there wasn't much to see - a few Meadow Browns, Large and Small Skippers, and a single female Common Blue. She was worth a photo, though.
CB2 090620.JPG
At least those few Marbled Whites I found were fresh ones.
MW3 090620.JPG
MW1 090620.JPG
The stars though were the lovely bright new Dark Green Fritillaries. With the sun being far from constant, they were stopping to bask relatively often, and were reasonably approachable. I spotted one down in the grass which proved to be unusually so - I suspect it was perhaps quite newly emerged. I gave it a helping hand to a spot where photos might be a bit easier, whereupon the sun disappeared completely for a while and I had to wait some time for it to return and wake the butterfly back up. In the interim, I did manage a whole variety of undersides and closeup shots with changing light levels making quite a difference to the colours of the butterfly.
DGF1 090620.JPG
DGF3 090620.JPG
DGF9 090620.JPG
DGF11 090620.JPG
DGF12 090620.JPG
DGF6 090620.JPG
DGF8 090620.JPG
However, patience paid off, the sun returned and I was rewarded with some excellent upperside views of this butterfly and a couple of others.
DGF13 090620.JPG
DGF15 090620.JPG
DGF18 090620.JPG
DGF23 090620.JPG
DGF19 090620.JPG
They really were glowing in the late afternoon sunlight. :)

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, what a lot of Butterflies, :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I see you saw Holly Blues on the 9th June, I thought they might be finished by now, I must look, see, :D

Fantastic shots of the Fritillary and on your finger as well, they're usually al over the place :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That Common Blue is lovely too! :D I hope the Marbled White ore still a round when I get to Kent :D Goldie :D
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Brilliant photos Dave. You certainly have both the volumes and an enviable variety of species.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Goldie. :) The Holly Blues are pretty well over for the moment, though I expect the summer brood to appear any day now. Marbled Whites should be around into July, so hopefully if it's not too long before you visit Kent, you'll see them. :)

Thanks, Otep - yes, my local patch is very fruitful, and other sites within 40 minutes drive provide quite a few more species. :)

Wednesday 10th June was cool and cloudy again. The only species relatively undeterred by this on my local patch was the Meadow Brown, flying up from the grass at the slightest excuse. Small Heaths were a bit more reluctant, and almost everything else stayed tucked away. One or two exceptions: A couple of Common Blues and a Brown Argus...
CB1 100620.JPG
CB2 100620.JPG
BA1 100620.JPG
...a Small Skipper...
SS3 100620.JPG
...and a Small Tortoiseshell.
ST1 100620.JPG
There was something slightly different about this last butterfly, and though it could be a trick of the light, I formed the impression that the two spots at the outer top corners of the forewings were actually pale blue rather than white or pale cream. Here's a close-up.
ST1cu 100620.JPG
I noticed this at the time (hence the close-up) so it's not a feature of the photography process. I have to assume this is within the normal range of variation as it isn't recorded as an ab. anywhere that I can find.

Dave
kevling

Post by kevling »

Hi Dave,

Lovely photos of the DGF at Box Hill, along with the Marbled White. They are very early this year aren't they. I remember a similar day with both species there a handful of years ago and it was mid July. I particularly like the head on shot, not an angle you see very often.

Kind Regards
Kev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots of the DGFs Dave :D They really explain the green bit of their name 8) though I'm not sure about the 'dark' bit :wink:
I see what you mean about the Small Tort - I zoomed in as much as I could and there do apppear to be some blue scales around the edges of the white marking which could explain why it looks light blue when zoomed out - not seen anything like that before - something else to keep a look out for 8) :wink:

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Kev - yes, they do seem early, though the Marbled Whites are clearly only just starting. I like those head-on shots - they bring out a bit of character, like the spiky ginger hairdo for a start! :)

It's an interesting one, Wurzel, that Tortoiseshell... There's always something different out there it seems. :)

Thursday 11th June was cloudy and showery, though definitely a bit warmer again. I just had the briefest of local walks and between showers found an amenable Small Heath. They do tend to get overlooked in normal circumstances.
SH1 110620.JPG
The afternoon looked a bit better, and there were patches of blue to the north, so another trip out seemed worth the risk...

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

So on the afternoon of 11th June, I headed up the M40 to Aston Rowant. In these times of diminished traffic it only took half an hour, but the blue skies that had lured me up that way were steadily encroached upon by cloud, and on the steady climb up to the top of the Chiltern ridge, the rain started. Luckily it wasn't all that much, so when I stepped out onto he hillside, things had brightened up again. To begin with, all I saw flying were Small Heaths and Meadow Browns (I could have stayed at home for those! :) ), but then a streak of orange from the bottom to the top of the slope announced the presence of a Dark Green Fritillary. Shortly afterwards, a tentative white fluttering resolved into a Marbled White. A brief burst of real sun produced a flash of electric blue - a worn male Adonis Blue.
AB1 110620.JPG
I hadn't expected any of these to still be flying, and it was the only one I saw. Next was another orange flyby - smaller though this time, and a different shade. This turned out to be a Small Tortoiseshell, and a slightly unusual one at that.
ST4 110620.JPG
ST2 110620.JPG
ST1 110620.JPG
It was quite pale, with little difference in colour between the main orange ground and the yellow patches. The two black forewing spots were blurred, one of them almost to the point of disappearance. It certainly looked different - and attractively so. I saw another one later on, which was rather more normal.
ST5 110620.JPG
After concentrating on this quirky butterfly, I looked up to find the skies had darkened considerably, and by the time I returned to the car to shelter, it was raining quite hard. Of course, it then eased off and began to brighten once more. In fact, I was then treated to about an hour of mostly sunny skies, though the breeze had picked up, especially near the top of the slope. The good thing was that the sunshine brought out the DG Fritillaries from wherever they had been hiding, with nectaring a priority. I found one seemingly glued to a patch of thyme, completely engrossed and undisturbable.
DGF8 110620.JPG
DGF9 110620.JPG
DGF10 110620.JPG
DGF11 110620.JPG
Others sought out the large thistles by the path along the top of the hillside, regardless of the breeze.
DGF4 110620.JPG
DGF5 110620.JPG
Another in the same area preferred to bask on the ground, and seemed thoroughly more laid back. By its darker colouring and shorter, plumper abdomen, this appeared to be a female.
DGF3 110620.JPG
Having mostly seen females up north, where they are often a very different-looking butterfly to the males, I had forgotten that down here in the south they can be quite similar.

Returning home I found that there had been no sun at all to speak of, so my decision to head for the hills had worked out very well indeed. :)

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”