June 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
millerd

Re: June 2020

Post by millerd »

As well as the first Small Skipper of the year, today was the day the first summer hutchinsoni Commas appeared. I found three altogether.
in the wars already...
in the wars already...
...but not this one
...but not this one
Again, this is pretty early - they often don't appear until Midsummers Day.

Dave
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Great work with those High Browns David! :mrgreen: I wish I could have been there! :)

The cooler weather over the last few days helped make the butterflies I was seeing more approachable. I was particularly happy to capture a Meadow Brown with wings open.

Below are Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Dark Green Fritillary male, Meadow Brown male, Speckled Wood female and Large Skipper male.
All taken at Friston Forest, East Sussex. Didn't see any myself but a gentleman passing by on Wednesday told me he had seen a Silver-washed Fritillary earlier in the day.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lots more lovely photos to look at. Thank you everyone. The day I have Large, Small and Essex Skippers all in my locale at the same time is a bit daunting for me. So long as they all sit up for a photo and I can identify them later at home (with help possibly) I will be ok.

I too saw a Comma a week ago and I didn't know if it was one from Spring or a new character. It was close to a place where a really old, frayed, battered Peacock still guards its piece of pathway it has claimed. It makes me sad to see it.

The Dark Green Fritillary taking off photo from Testudo Man is a lesser captured pose (because it is so difficult presumably). The butterfly appears quite eagle like and a spectacular photo it is too.
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:56 pm As well as the first Small Skipper of the year, today was the day the first summer hutchinsoni Commas appeared. I found three altogether. Again, this is pretty early - they often don't appear until Midsummers Day.
It is early, Dave, but still nice to see (I haven't encountered a Comma since the beginning of May).

This cooler spell of weather ought to slow things down a little. The season was in danger of burning out in all honesty, with emergences a good two weeks in advance of normal.
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Popped into Chantry Hill at Storrington, Sussex to see if any Dark Green Frits had emerged yet.....nope.North side of the Downs here,always a bit later,but this year they'll probably be about right,another week I suspect.Last of the Dukes still fighting the good fight.
Chantry Hill Duke
Chantry Hill Duke
Still some good looking Grizzled Skippers around.
Chantry Hill Grizzled Skipper
Chantry Hill Grizzled Skipper
Also,Small Blue,Common Blue,Brown Argus,Large and Small Skippers(2),Painted Lady up top.No DG's yet, looking forward to them.
Then moved onto Southwater woods to see if any White Admirals were up yet......nope,another week I reckon.
First new Commas appearing though in Marlpost.
Southwater Comma
Southwater Comma
Thanks
Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
Buchan Boy

Post by Buchan Boy »

Spotted the window of opportunity with this mornings sunny start,6th June,a bit windy,but I know the Silver studded Blues are starting to emerge at Iping Common,Sussex, breezy but got there before the breeze turned into gales and rain came down,all done by 9.30 am.....
Good numbers starting to appear,could do with a lesser breezy day to do some kind of count.
Iping Common Male Silver studded Blue
Iping Common Male Silver studded Blue
Iping Common Female Silver studded Blue
Iping Common Female Silver studded Blue
Iping Common
Iping Common
Weekend made just a few hours in :D
Thanks

Dave
Regards
Dave Browne
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Did anyone spot this last week. It was photographed on Thurs 28th May in the Storrington area. It was photographed by the daughter of a reliable friend who lives in the Storrington,Sussex area. It was in her garden. Did anyone else see it?
Attachments
Swallowtail-continental
Swallowtail-continental
Swallowtail-continental
Swallowtail-continental
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A few pictures of bits and pieces from a few days back ,the weather looks to be changing , and we,re finally getting a bit of rain !
Had two visits to pay my yearly respects to the wonderful (and very rare !) Late Spider Orchids at two fairly local sites , one I have been familiar with for 30 + years ,and the other ,a first time visit ……………...Little Stunners all !
At one of the sites I found this moth ,whose name is ………………………………. funnily enough ,the Black Veined moth !
The Small Heath and Large Skipper were both from my "new" local circuit .
Regards Allan.W.
P1180081.JPG
P1180086.JPG
P1180164.JPG
P1180116.JPG
P1180136.JPG
P1180124.JPG
Last edited by Allan.W. on Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

As Eric Olthwaite might have put it, it were a bit over-cast this afternoon.

However that didn't stop a good few Meadow Browns bobbing about around our local fields. Very little else though bar Large Skippers and a few moths. Swallows were having a field day though.

I did spot a bit of interesting behaviour from a pair of Large Skippers flying closely together. I thought they were about to mate as they paired up and one repeatedly was bending its abdomen toward and over the other. The other seemed less interested in that sort of behaviour, but they stayed very close together for ages and didn't mind me taking close-up snaps.

I went for several circuits round the fields and each time I came round they were still together.

The underwings are a bit different, but they seemed to be both male based on the sex brand. Albeit they didn't open their wings in unison very often !

Might be related to the weather ? Definitely good pals whatever !
Attachments
DSC00393 (2).JPG
DSC00396 (2).JPG
DSC00403 (4).JPG
DSC00410 (2).JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Wonder if Erics still got the shovel with three brass rivets ??
zigzag_wanderer

No one does wide-eyed innocent excitement tinged with wonder and a hint of jealousy over something like Howard Molson's new shovel quite like Palin.

All to line up the killer line about where Howard's going to put it.

Mind you, I'm getting a bit like that when talking about my new hobby of butterflies. I can see a few eyes glassing over. No one in the family has yet feigned being french to avoid me talking to me though.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Oh, quelle journée au bas de la terre. Je suis très fatigué demain, Vera.

Anyway... Back to the butterflies...
David M

Post by David M »

June 2nd - finally saw my first Painted Lady of 2020 at Alun Valley, Glamorgan:
1PL(1).jpg
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

That's a faded sort of dusty looking Painted Lady David.

I missed that mention of a continental Swallowtail (plus photos) visitor. Thank you for sharing. Do these visits happen often?
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Has Eric got a hundred shovels? That'd be good.

Roger

Some time ago I made a post on UKB in haste and didn't notice until later that I had spelt my name starting with a T instead of an R. Sort of changed the meaning.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A Swallowtail reported today at Dengemarsh ( near Dungeness ) ,and over the last couple of days ,a Rose coloured Starling
and a Red footed Falcon ……………………. don,t know if they,re still about . Lots of Rose coloured Starlings being reported around the country at the moment …………………… Definitely worth checking through any Starling gatherings !
Regards Allan.W.
zigzag_wanderer

No Swallowtails in our fields today unfortunately.

As well as the ones shown below, there was a Brimstone, lots of Small Heaths and a single Brown Argus looking a little worn but very active.
Attachments
7th June: Meadow Brown
7th June: Fresh Small Tortoiseshell
7th June: Fresh Small Tortoiseshell
7th June: Male Large Skippers
7th June: Male Large Skippers
7th June: Female Large Skipper
7th June: Female Large Skipper
7th June: Cinnabar - damaged wing
7th June: Cinnabar - damaged wing
David M

Post by David M »

P.J.Underwood wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:54 pm Did anyone spot this last week. It was photographed on Thurs 28th May in the Storrington area. It was photographed by the daughter of a reliable friend who lives in the Storrington,Sussex area. It was in her garden. Did anyone else see it?
First I've seen, PJ. Winds were briefly from the SE during that hot spell at the end of May so it's not surprising a few migrants got in.

Must be something of a shock to see one of these during your normal daily routine! :shock:
zigzag_wanderer

This was the Brown Argus from yesterday. Shame to leave it out just for being a bit worn (*reminder to slot self-deprecating line in here*).

It brooked no nonsense from passing skippers, heaths, browns, bees or flies.
Attachments
7th June: Brown Argus on watch
7th June: Brown Argus on watch
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

An hour at my favourite thistle patch didn't disappoint :D
Dark Green Fritillary 8th June