Large Blue (Maculinea arion) Somerset.

Discussion forum for sightings.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Large Blues
Yesterday I decided to make a second attempt to see the Large Blue so I went to a little known location , it was a rather overcast morning but I did have hopes that the Sun would break through, arriving at the site I had not gone far when I saw my first blue, it quickly vanished, I walked a little further, a second one, it perched on a piece of grass and there it sat giving me plenty of time to take pictures, it also flew off and it was the last I saw of it, I sat and waited but had no further success.
Also at the site were newly emerged Marbled Whites flying around and a number of nervous Meadow Browns both species were rather difficult to approach.
I was very pleased to have seen the Large Blue if only fleetingly, hopefully more will emerge in the coming days.
A particularly beautiful specimen, it really lived up to its name, Large Blue..
Marbled White
Marbled White
Marbled White
Marbled White
Meadow Brown
Meadow Brown
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
millerd

Re: Large Blue (Maculinea arion) Somerset.

Post by millerd »

Nice portrait of the Large Blue, Medard. :) I've heard there are several populations along the Polden Hills these days, but most are on private land and/or are rightly not publicised.

You should start a personal diary on here - it would make it easier to follow your west country wanderings and the great range of things you're seeing. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely Large Blue photographs Medard. It is an extremely attractive looking butterfly. It might be my imagination but the photos suggests that it knows that it is attractive !
David M

Post by David M »

Glad you got to see them, Jim. Very handy having them so close to home. :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:22 am Nice portrait of the Large Blue, Medard. :) I've heard there are several populations along the Polden Hills these days, but most are on private land and/or are rightly not publicised.

Cheers,

Dave
Quite rightly so.
I have seen quite a few photos on twitter over the past week or so taken at Green Down and some comments about chasing Large Blues up and down the hillside before they would settle for a photo. I have also heard that the habitat at Green Down is dry and suffering in the same way as at Collard Hill where visitors are not being encouraged. I am not sure what the current situation is at Green Down these days but I understood there used to be limited access during the Large Blue flight period and people were supposed to stay on the footpath at the top of the slope to protect the habitat.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Sightings”