Broughton Down

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
wavelea1

Broughton Down

Post by wavelea1 »

Spent today - well 11.00 - 3.00 at this marvellous site. Many thanks to those that pointed me in the direction of the Silver Spotted Skipper.....
The weatherman said chance of sunshine so ever the optimist off I set complete with sarnies and a flask.

The site is stunning with views across Hants and Wilts? BUT there I sat surrounded by Whites, Blues and Argus (should that be Argii?), Meadow Browns, more Brimstones than I could count and every possible hue from vivid yellow to white to grey and the sun shone for about 0.4 of a second and out came a Skipper - Yeehah. The sun eventually came out as I drove home!!!!

Many of the Browns have got this wretched red mite infection possibly 50% of the hundreds that I saw.

Great day and if you read this Denise and Eccles - it's about 1.5 hours to the site from here using the M4 / Marlborough route.
Now for the Brown Hairstreak at Shipton Bellinger?

Wavelea1
Denise

Re: Broughton Down

Post by Denise »

Thanks Wavelea1,

How about it Eccles? Sounds like a great day out.

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

Sounds good. Can anyone tell me where we can park please? I assume we head down the B3084 from Marlborough?
Denise

Post by Denise »

I've printed out all the info on parking etc, and I have directions from Broughton village on the B3084. We just have to get to there.

See you in the morning.
Denise
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Denise and Eccles
Just in case you log on before leaving -
Have a great day - weather looks v. promising but that don't mean much these days.

When you enter Broughton look for Buckholt Rd on the right - I think it's the first turning. Drive to the end where the route seems to split three ways. Take the middle one (narrowest) up a quite steep hill until you can see the views on the right then head down onto the banks. Look out for the clusters of pink flowers at the bottom of the hill - these were awash with butterflies. SS Skippers were widespread but rare and very fast - I wish you luck.

Wavelea1

Return to “Sites”