Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Trevor

Post by millerd »

We should all explore more on our own doorsteps, Trevor. That sounds like an excellent find (any Holly Blues? :wink: ) :) A Green Hairstreak no less.

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's surprising how much decent butterfly habitat is actually out there isn't it Trevor? :D Greenstreaks within walking distance is not to be sneezed at :D 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Wed May 27, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Well done on finding that local spot Trevor. So much more satisfying to find good stuff on your doorstep.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

One of only two Butterflies seen in two hours yesterday !.
A very fresh Speckled Wood, and a very quick, lightly marked Grizzled Skipper.

Still, silly season looms!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430230.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Nice Specklie Trevor :D Is it just me or does Silly Season seem to be arriving early this year?

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:55 pm...I had a complete surprise today, and right on my doorstep!.
Close to my home there is a single track country lane which I often use to access the A22.
A short way along this lane, it is joined by another lane coming in from the left.
Being a blind junction great care is needed when passing it. This morning I walked past
this junction and noticed on the other side of the lane a very discreet style and an
East Sussex cc foot path sign. As I walked along the overgrown footpath I could not believe
the most suitable Butterfly habitat that opened up before me. This is a location I will visit
regularly from now on. The countryside I passed through was literally Olde England at it's best!.
A few years ago I had a White Admiral in my garden, today gave me a clue of where it may have come from.

Just to think I've been in my house for 23 years and did not know about this fabulous unmanaged land.
A rare lockdown benefit, Trevor! Must admit, my increased movement in my immediate local vicinity saw me stumble upon a damp meadow 2 miles from my home which I never knew existed! Surprises can be lurking closer by than we think. :)
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Lockdown has has some real benefits! Aside from reducing the pollution, the amount of 'exercise' has meant I have discovered several new paths within walking distance of home. I say exercise, but a five mile walk that takes three hours because of butterflying and birding hasn't trimmed off much fat! :lol:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks all, not much to report this week though.

Finding Butterflies anywhere around here this past week has been hard going.
Searches have revealed only a few, worn specimens, and a few fresh Specklies.
It would seem that there is an early June gap generally in this area.

On the plus side I found my first, and very difficult, Meadow Brown yesterday,
and this morning at High and Over, my first Large Skipper of the year.
Three tattered male Wall Browns were seen defending their territories around
several of the wooden bench seats, also at H&O.
Still I have found two species that herald the start of Summer this week.

Stay well all,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430270.JPG
P1430268.JPG
P1430275.JPG
P1430260.JPG
P1430246.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, same here, Butterflies are getting fewer and fewer it seems, hope fully a few more will appear if the weather changes,
Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Things have gone a bit crazy this year - the butterflies seem to have burnt themselves out in the heat :shock: :? Still just as things were looking good the weather is set to change, a bit of rain would be good, but not too much :wink: :D

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

I went over to Rowland Wood this morning to see how many Summer species might be about.
A Large Skipper was easily found near some brambles, I then made my way over to a large
bramble patch which has always been very productive in previous years. Sure enough a Meadow
Brown was flying between bramble blossoms. As I waited for it to settle, a fresh Small Tortoiseshell
flew in, only my second one of the year so far. In the heat it was not only very active, but mostly
kept it's wings closed while nectaring. After many shots I moved over to Park Corner Heath, only
to discover another Small Tort, again on bramble blossom.
I was delighted to find two in one session, a rare occasion around here!.

Stay well,
Trevor.
Attachments
P1430318.JPG
P1430317.JPG
P1430314.JPG
P1430300.JPG
P1430319.JPG
P1430290.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on getting your Small Tort Trevor - I know that they're pretty rare over your way so to get two - brill :D 8)

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you got a couple of summer brood Torties, Trevor. You may well see plenty more, they are suddenly about in large numbers in my part of the world and I'm hearing the same from elsewhere too.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel & David.

I went over to Ditchling Common this morning for the Black Hairstreak, unlike yesterday,
which was far too hot, today was cloudy/bright, still and warmer than mild, ideal in other words.
On arrival at about 9.15 I met Martin, as we said good morning a Black Hairstreak flew upwards
between us, and out of sight. The next half an hour was very productive with several landing
on low foliage. But it was to be a day of fits and starts, ie, a little action then nothing for
long periods, but a very worthwhile all the less.
It was good to meet Martin, Kirsty, John Williams, Neil Hulme and two other enthusiasts who came and went.

I left at the right time, as I drove through a cloud burst at Cooksbridge!.
Trevor.

PS. Forgot to mention the male and female Large Skipper's we saw on the Bracken.
Attachments
P1430364.JPG
P1430356.JPG
P1430354.JPG
P1430386.JPG
P1430345.JPG
P1430349.JPG
P1430337.JPG
P1430383.JPG
P1430375.JPG
P1430379.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic images Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'd like to get some like that one day :wink:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great work with those Black Hairstreaks,Trevor. You definitely made the right decision vis-à-vis the weather by waiting for the heat to disappear.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Excellent Black Hairstreaks, Trevor. :) :mrgreen: Hopefully the abrupt change in the weather won't affect them too much.

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I had arranged to meet Wurzel at Ditchling Common to look for Black Hairstreaks.
The first arrival, after myself, was Dave Miller ( millerd ), followed almost simultaneously by Wurzel.
As we made our way to the ' hot spot ' Wurzel spotted an old Green Hairstreak near the path.
P1430391.JPG
Once at ' Hairstreak alley ' it was realised that we would have to wait it out for any BH sightings.
Fortunately three were eventually found low down, and Wurzel was able to grab images of several BH
throughout the day, and ' lifers ' for him, making the journey from Salisbury worthwhile.

As things were very slow I explored more of the common, and was delighted to find some male
Meadow Browns nectaring and basking with wings wide open,
P1430416.JPG
P1430400.JPG
P1430395.JPG
Another discovery was a female Speckled Wood, only my second of the year, and a fresh male.
P1430419.JPG
P1430415.JPG
Other species seen were several Large Skippers, and a very fresh Small White.
On the way back to the car I managed a few shots of the Bee Orchids which reliably flower in the same place every year.

It was good to spent an enjoyable day with some old faces! :D

Trevor.
P1430405.JPG
Attachments
P1430443.JPG
P1430436.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, it was a very sociable day, Trevor, and most enjoyable despite my shots of the Black Hairstreaks being entirely forgettable. :) Always good to see you. It was probably a good time to leave when I did because I hit rain not all that long after heading off...

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A massive thank you for all the directions (both to and on site) Trevor it was a great day even if the butterflies didn't play ball :D Mind you it's a good job I'm quite slender after the amount of fat that was chewed :lol: the only thing missing were a few beers and we could almost have been at the Social 8). Hope to catch up with in the field again soon :D

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”