May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: May 2020

Post by David M »

Very nice, Phil, even if there is an element of tragedy regarding the deformed individual.
millerd

Post by millerd »

The first Painted Lady of 2020 on my local patch near Heathrow today (27th). Having seen Bugboy's reports of a couple, and Callum's mention of sightings on the Yorkshire coast, could there be another influx this year? Very unusual in consecutive seasons, but maybe the mild winter in Europe meant they didn't go so far south this year. By the look of this one it nearly didn't make it, bearing as it does the clear chomp of a birdstrike.
PL1 270520.JPG
PL2 270520.JPG
Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

27 May - Nairn/Moray. Still many Orange Tips. It seems to be a good year for them. GV Whites everywhere, a few tatty Peacoks and two days earlier a Tortoiseshell.

Jack
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Small Blue in the garden this morning, drinking bird's foot trefoil nectar, patrolling, nuggling its wings and perching on its foodplant. A garden first, but it looks freshly emerged and I am hoping I may have a little colony. Photos to follow...
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries showing well this morning.
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
28th May
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 am Small Blue in the garden this morning, drinking bird's foot trefoil nectar, patrolling, nuggling its wings and perching on its foodplant. A garden first, but it looks freshly emerged and I am hoping I may have a little colony. Photos to follow...
Amazing! I found one on Fairwood Common this afternoon, Chris. Never seen one there before and I've never seen kidney vetch there either.

These little critters keep constantly surprising us.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

David M wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm
Matsukaze wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:09 am Small Blue in the garden this morning, drinking bird's foot trefoil nectar, patrolling, nuggling its wings and perching on its foodplant. A garden first, but it looks freshly emerged and I am hoping I may have a little colony. Photos to follow...
Amazing! I found one on Fairwood Common this afternoon, Chris. Never seen one there before and I've never seen kidney vetch there either.

These little critters keep constantly surprising us.
So the Small Blues are turning up on the SPBF sites, and the SPBFs are turning up on the Small Blue sites!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A Painted Lady in my Solihull garden this morning.
Coverdale 28.05.2020 026 resize.JPG
Also a Clouded Yellow reported yesterday in South Birmingham just a few miles from me.

Cheers,

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Painted Lady for me also at "The Roughs" Hythe, Kent ,along with 3 Common Blues ,2 Small Heath ,2 fresh Small
Tortoiseshell , and one Small Copper and one Large Skipper and 8 Four Spotted moth.
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm...So the Small Blues are turning up on the SPBF sites, and the SPBFs are turning up on the Small Blue sites!
Yep. You've summed it up very nicely there, Chris. :)

Been a strange year so far, for both we human beings AND the butterflies.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:43 pm A Painted Lady in my Solihull garden this morning.

Also a Clouded Yellow reported yesterday in South Birmingham just a few miles from me.
Great stuff, Neil (and a very nicely marked individual too).

They haven't yet reaches S. Wales to my knowledge but my senses are currently on full alert!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Small Blue...
P5280012.jpg
P5280020.jpg
P5280047.jpg
P5280033.jpg
P5280048.jpg
P5280031.jpg
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Vince Massimo wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm
On Tuesday 19th May I was walking along the raised footpath that separates the River Adur and Shoreham Airport and noticed that the western side of the embankment (TQ 2069 0541) is covered in Kidney Vetch. I don't remember ever seeing any there before.
I looked for Small Blues, but it was a bit too windy and difficult, so will be keeping an eye on it.
David M wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:53 pm Keep looking, Vince. This species is present along my stretch of coastline just about anywhere that has kidney vetch growing in profusion.
Thanks David. I've not been able to get back to Shoreham Airport to check on the Kidney Vetch growing on the embankment there since first reporting the find, but I have been advised by Jonathan Crawford that he saw two Small Blues there on 28th May and another today.
Adur embankment, Shoreham 19-May-2020
Adur embankment, Shoreham 19-May-2020
If anyone is intending to visit, please be aware that it's often very windy here because of the open nature of the locality, so conditions for observing and photography will be difficult.

As far as I'm aware the nearest Small Blue colony is about 5km to the north-east at TQ24973 07980 which is a lay-by alongside the A27, just east of the Southwick Hill tunnel. This lay-by is closed at the moment. If there are any closer colonies, I would be interested to hear about them.

Vince
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

The marking of butterflies.
This week I have seen the Duke of Burgundy at Noar Hill,the end of the first brood Wood Whites at Botany Bay,and then today Adonis at Old Winchester Hill.The first two had butterflies that were natural and pure.Then today butterflies that were marked with a dye. What on earth is someone trying to prove? I know all about raddling in rams but that is done for a purpose. Can someone tell me what is happening here?
P.J.U.
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy.JPG
Large Skipper.JPG
Wood White-tatty.JPG
Adonis.JPG
Adonis-marked.JPG
Adonis -dyed.JPG
Small Heath-marked.JPG
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Philip, I saw the same thing many years ago. I think it was on Oxenbourne Down and therefore was probably Chalkhill Blues. I did speak to the wildlife trust at the time and they gave me a perfectly plausible reason why they were marking the butterflies - if only I could remember what it was :roll: It might have been to do with measuring their range or some such factor. I probably have it in my notes somewhere but before I can locate it I bet you that there is someone on this site that can explain it.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

It's usually done to support a mark-release-recapture (MRR) approach, to determine population size:

https://www.biology-fieldwork.org/a-lev ... recapture/

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

BH Monday 25th - an hour and a half spent on the Commons near my home saw me find 17 Marsh Fritillaries and 21 Small Pearl Bordered.

That's down on the peak from last year, but must be tempered with the fires that burned much of the prime breeding area in late March.

I managed to find my first female Marshie:
1MFfemale(1).jpg
...and in the damp meadow a mile or so away I saw my first Meadow Browns (x2) of 2020:
1MeadowBrown(1).jpg
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I, too, saw my first Meadow Brown today at Lardon Chase on the North Wessex Downs, with spectacular views over Streatley and towards Goring. I was here for the Adonis Blue and really enjoyed spending my time watching females egg-laying, before the heat got too much for them (and me!). However, I did manage to get some closeups of eggs, showing the really lovely detail on their surface!
2020-05-29-11.45.57 ZS PMax.jpg
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Meadow Browns rapidly expanding in numbers in our local ...er...meadow.

Now rivalling Large Skipper and Small Heath numbers.

Took this snap of one just after 7pm today. Had a bit of a wing issue but didn't stop it flying around merrily.
Attachments
DSC00047 (3).JPG
Medard

Post by Medard »

Shapwick NNR.
A walk along the sweet track at Shapwick National nature reserve.
The  blackberry bushes were Covered by a mass of blooms,
SEP_5802  3x2.jpg
an unusual sound overhead caused me to look up, my imagination decided I was looking at a pterodactyl in fact it was a juvenile Grey Heron,  instead of the usual colours this bird was black !
Juvenile Grey Heron.
Juvenile Grey Heron.
Juvenile Grey Heron.
Juvenile Grey Heron.
I had my first sighting of  Meadow Browns,
Meadow Brown (Maniola jurtina)
continuing along the track the first sighting of a Male black tail skimmer  soon after a fresh female B-t Skimmer
Female Black-tailed Skimmer
Female Black-tailed Skimmer
The  highlight of the visit was a first sighting of the year, a Large Skipper perched on a blackberry leaf, It made numerous little circuits always returning to the same perch,
Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus)
Large Skipper (Ochlodes sylvanus)
an interesting plant was pointed out by two gentlemen doing a butterfly transect.
Pedicularis sylvatica - Lousewort
Pedicularis sylvatica - Lousewort
Two emperor dragonflies seen , regrettably neither of them posed for the camera  
Returning to the entrance more Meadow Browns.
A good morning.

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com

Return to “Sightings”